spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christine,

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you wait for the results. Most likely everything will be fine. I am sorry to hear that you are going through a lot with your Mom, as well.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Thank you, I really hope that all is normal in her MRI!! Our appt in Montreal is next week March 1st. How exciting!! My daughters back looks soooo good, I hope Dr. Rivard says the same.

Celia
      My mother has dementia. I was hoping her head MRI would give us a clue as to what was causing it but I don't know what the results mean yet because the doctor has a no call back policy!!! Frustrating

Christine
      from CT, USA
      6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
      8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
      10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
      10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
      10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
      4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
      8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
      2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
      3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• christine,

good luck this week with both your results for your daughter's mri and the appt. in montreal. i'll be expecting an update!

my best,
        deshea
        mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
        spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
        tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
        serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
        now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
        and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
        north of boston, ma

Comment

• Lots of luck, Christine. I will be thinking of you.

That's great that her back looks good to you. Nicole just bought two new dresses for two parties she is going to. She has such a beautiful figure, long and lean with long legs. But her back is exposed and of course I can see the shoulder blade sticking out. And if you look really carefully, one hip sticks out more than another. So I can't say her back looks great. I don't know if it's the same, worse, or what. But I do see her scoliosis. With that being said, I still would like to avoid surgery. Because even with surgery, her back will not look like it should. Every time we go shopping for dresses, it hits me all over again.

Don't mean to sound so negative. I am extremely thankful for all of my blessings. Nicole being one of them.
          Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa

It is very hard not to feel the negative emotions. I also see my daughters curve she is soo skinny. Her back does look better.Because of spinecor her muscles are strong.

The reason we chose spinecor and refused hard bracing is so that if she needs surgery her body and mind will be strong for a quick recovery. The thought of muscle atrophy in it self scared me.

We are doing the best for our daughters so we must look at that.
            Christine
            from CT, USA
            6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
            8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
            10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
            10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
            10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
            4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
            8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
            2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
            3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Christine,

I agree with you about keeping their backs strong. I feel so good when I think about their healthy backs because of Spinecor. I think I told you that when she was diagnosed, we were mostly upset about her having to wear the hard brace for 4 years than about anything else.

For some reason, I keep obsessing about risser and peak height velocity. I am trying to have a crystal ball to try to figure out what is going to happen. I can't decide which is more important, a high risser or the fact that major growth spurt is behind her and she has had her period for almost a year.

Anyone know any answers to this?
              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,

I'm no doctor, but it would make sense to me that the fact that one is finished growing would be key....it's what we hear all the time.

Also, I know what you mean when you say that when you go dress shopping it hits you all over again. There are certain things that will always be "reminders" of the fact that our kids have scoliosis. But I, like you, am very grateful that they are otherwise healthy and happy. We do have many blessings
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• It still doesn't make sense that people are saying a 0 means a lot of growth left, but Dr. Rivard confirmed it doesn't necessarily mean that.

Christine,

Could you please ask Dr. Rivard which is more important: a high risser score or physical maturity? If you think of it.
                  Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,

I realize Nicole is pretty close to 40 and inbrace correction is 32 ??? We all know that with time the probability of future progression is likely, I wonder if continued but not necessarily full time wear of the Spinecor would help in maintaining the degree of curvature she has now??? Do you think she would be receptive to that idea? It might work

Canadian eh
                    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• I wish there was a set rule as far as the Risser goes, but each child is different.

When Jamie was diagnosed at age 12 (Aug. 2003) she was a Risser 0. She had already had her period for 4 months at that point. Oct. 2003, 144 cm. tall and 36* Scoliosis; Feb. 2004, Risser 0 and had her period for about 10 months, curve still about 36*; July, 2004, Scoliosis 42*, bone age is 14 1/2 although she was only 13 y.o.; Aug. 2004, Risser 0, Scoliosis 43*, "nearing skeletal maturity"; Dec. 7,2004, surgery, Scoliosis 46* and still progressing; Dec. 22, 2004, post-op report says she gained 1.7 cm.; Oct. 2006, 146 cm.

So, what does all that mean? I really don't know. Jamie progressed very quickly from a Risser 0 to sketally mature and never really grew in that time frame. She was prescribed a Milwaukee brace and then a Boston brace. She never wore either one enough to know if it would have slowed progression. Jamie is a perfect example of how quickly things can change with Scoli and Risser numbers. And although some say that a Risser 0 means a lot of growth, it just wasn't true for Jamie.

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

• I'm sorry, Celia, I don't understand the question. What do you mean? She may be in the brace until she is 16, according to Dr. Rivard. Is that what you meant?

Mary Lou,

Thanks again for those details that you have probably told me so many times. You are right. People keep saying that risser 0 means a lot of growth. But Dr. Rivard said you could be done growing and be a risser 0. This seems like a big misconception. I know that Nicole has always gotten worse with growth. So if she is done growing, she could possiblly stay where she is. I know I will know these answers soon enough. But the waiting is so frustrating. Each child is different. That is for sure.
                        Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                          I'm sorry, Celia, I don't understand the question. What do you mean? She may be in the brace until she is 16, according to Dr. Rivard. Is that what you meant?

I don't know what I was thinking...my brain is mush right now. I'm getting that habitual sinking feeling in my stomach - a clinic appointment must be around the corner. Where is Gerbo????

Christine,

Good luck on Thursday!!!!! What is going on with the MRI?????

Canadian eh
                          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Hello,

Welcome to the forum. Is this your first time posting? That is so nice of you to offer that. No, it is not inappropriate. I agree that they are very expensive. Too bad my daughter wears a large!!!

We are in the process of having a tailor put snaps in panties so that we can wear them with tank undershirts. It will be so much easier to wash and less expensive than the bodysuits. The tailor already made one and it turned out great!!! I bought the snaps at Walmart and they came already attached to a piece of material that gets sewed in. The tailor is charging me $10/pair so that makes each pair cost $15. Put that together with a tank undershirt and you have the makings of a nice alternative to a body suit.
                            Melissa

Comment

• [QUOTE=MATJESNIC

so that we can wear them with tank undershirts. [/QUOTE]
                              Hi Melissa, Nicole's able to get away with wearing just a tank undershirt??, my daughter has to have the coverage on top also, for the shoulder straps. Hmm, maybe I should just get her used to it . . it'll be cooler for the summer. Thanks for the tip!!

Bizzlebr, thanks for the open offer, my daughter's also a "large." pat

Comment

• please, spare a thought for my mum, who tomorrow will undergo a double (cardiac) bypass. She should be ok, but you cannot help being nervous about it. Currently i am in Holland to support my dad in the coming days.

gerbo

Comment

Working...
                                X