10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
    10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
    4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
    8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
    2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
    3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Congrats, Celia!
      It must be comforting to see your daughter´s spine straight!
      2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
      Treatment: Cheneau brace
      2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

• so pleased for you (but not surprised)

Comment

• Celia,

I'm very happy for you and Deirdre.
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• That's wonderful news Celia, thanks!
            p

Comment

• Thrilled once again! Can't beat that Spinecor brace for miracle cures!

I know it doesn't completely cure every patient, but is there another brace out there that offers even a chance of a cure?

I'm still sold, even if Rachel doesn't hold.

If I ever drive to Montreal again, I am going to drop in on you on my way through or make a detour and come see you!
              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Wearing a schooluniform is the norm in the UK, so the occasional "wear what you want" day is quite special for our children. Unfortunately "wear what you really want" is not always compatible with a brace, even the spinecor. So very occasionally, we allow her a brace free day, like today. Such a difference it makes in how she feels and her confidence. And she did look gorgeous in her thin, fashionable , lowish cut summery dress. Tonight she is dancing in her schools dance show, so all in all, quite a taste of freedom.

In the mean time, us parents, try not to worry that years of hard work will not be reversed.......

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                  In the mean time, us parents, try not to worry that years of hard work will not be reversed.......
                  Gerbo,

Even or former ortho, who was pretty strict about brace wear, told us once that an "occasional" treat (of less brace time) every now and then would not mean much in the grand scheme of things. Think about how many hours per year your daughter wears her brace - a special day once in a while is not likely to "reverse" anything, so please try not to worry
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Gerbo,

Not sure if you know what a Bat Mitzvah is, but around here Jewish teens have huge catered parties with D.J.'s and everything. Nicole has been to only a few this year. But as fate would have it, she has 3 this weekend!!! She will be out of her brace and wearing a beautiful backless dress from 9 a.m. until midnight tomorrow. Yes, back to back parties. Then on Sunday, she will go to her third party in yet another backless dress from noon until 5. I will pack her some Advil because I know she will say her back was hurting with all that dancing and no brace. But there is no way in the world she could wear her Spinecor under any fashionable dress.

You know that when there is no special occasion she wears her brace 22 hours a day with no complaints.

On top of all that, we are now in the middle of an ice, snow storm. Some areas are hit harder than others. It is a shame for all the families hosting these parties and having so many guests traveling from all over.

Changing the subject a little, Nicole has never learned to roller skate. She always had a fear of falling and just never wanted to learn. She never went to the occassional skating parties from school and thankfully most of her friends never had skating parties. She can swim and ride a bike. Both activities that are important. If she never learns to skate, I don't think it will affect her life.

In gym they are starting a skating unit with everyone skating. She told me she doesn't want to do it. At this point, she is very protective of her back and spine and she also wears a shoe life because of uneven pelvis. So I wrote a note and explained her scoliosis condition and the fact that she was uncomfortable. So she will be allowed to do something else along with a couple of other friends who have other health issues. I have to say it was probably the first time she felt good about being able to use the "scoliosis card" to get out of something. It was legit. after all.
                    Melissa
                    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• melissa, hope Nicole had a great time partying. L certainly enjoyed herself, with a show on friday and saturday night. We went to watch both time and once i knew how good she looked (in every way) after the friday night, i really enjoyed the second show. Ballet, modern, tap; a joy to watch!

gerbo
                      Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 05:03 AM.

Comment

• We finally got home at around midnight last night and I'm a total zombie. Ste. Justine has a new x-ray machine that does a lateral and P/A at the same time and apparently the radiation dose is 20% of the previous digital x-rays they were doing. When one of you go there next time, can you ask what kind of machine it is? It's really weird, the patient stands in a tube and these lights start flashing and the whole process takes a few minutes to complete. Here is Deirdre's x-ray, notice the little kink at the top of her spine, Dr. Rivard assured me that it's strictly postural because she didn't have a curve there before and it will disappear with time.

Montreal is a great city and the kids had a wonderful time! Our followup is not for another six months!!! Oh and before I forget....can someone PLEASE tell me what that black hideous spot near her spine is????? I'm going to be a nervous wreck until I find out.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...rdre200703.jpg

Here is her original x-ray many moons ago....

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture077.jpg

Last edited by Celia; 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM.

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• The black spot may be a gas bubble it looks as though there is also one in her lower intestine too. I see those in dogs all the time. Let me know when you find out. How did you display the x ray I tried to and it said the file was too big I would love to share my daughters x ray with you all
                          from CT, USA
                          6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                          8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                          10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                          10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                          10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                          4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                          8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                          2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                          3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Phew....that's a relief! Thanks Christine! LOL!!! The x-ray picture is on the disc, so what I did is I copied the picture to my Documents folder and then I pasted it to photobucket. There is a feature in the disc that also allows you to erase all confidential info such as name, date of birth, health card number etc....

Canadian eh
                            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• that is one FANTASTIC picture. (as in; what it shows, and what it doesn't show ofcourse)

Comment

• is it still thought that she has a curve when not wearing the brace? What level was the original angle? Is there still a corrective action from the brace.? (l's right shoulder is being pulled down by one of the corrective straps, causing a similar, but much larger "postural" curve)
                                Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X