September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE They cleaned out bone spurs and debrided my shoulder.[/QUOTE]

What does this mean? That they only half did the job? Sorry, I don't understand why it wasn't fixed.

Is your pain being well controlled now?
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
      [QUOTE They cleaned out bone spurs and debrided my shoulder.
      What does this mean? That they only half did the job? Sorry, I don't understand why it wasn't fixed.

Is your pain being well controlled now?[/QUOTE]

I do not understand either. I am going to see my shoulder surgeon on Monday at 3:30pm. I am scheduled to see him then to get my stitches removed. I am ,also, going to have a conversation with my surgeon. I need to know he did not take care of fixing my torn rotator cuff..I feel as if i have wasted the entire past week.
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• the advocates often try to intervene with insurance companies, on behalf of
        patients...

i am sorry you did not get the procedure that you expected....
        and i hope you have good pain management for this....

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
          Has any one else have a problem starting with an old scar and itching? I have not had any problem but this week my scar has started to itch very much.
          Has this happened to any one else?
          My c-section scar itched for a LONG time...years.

How can they get away with not doing the rotator cuff surgery without telling you first? I smell a lawsuit!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

• [QUOTE=rohrer01;141476]My c-section scar itched for a LONG time...years./QUOTE]

Really, was there anything that helped?
            Melissa

Comment

• Melissa

It seems that there is a misunderstanding on procedure. If they go in, they are going to repair everything that needs to be repaired....

Shoulder orthoscopic debridement is a process of cleaning up tissue in the shoulder area. This is done on the rotator cuff muscles.

http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/genera...t.php?ID=10706

Things will get better soon.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Melissa

It seems that there is a misunderstanding on procedure. If they go in, they are going to repair everything that needs to be repaired....

Shoulder orthoscopic debridement is a process of cleaning up tissue in the shoulder area. This is done on the rotator cuff muscles.

http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/genera...t.php?ID=10706

Things will get better soon.

Ed
                I guess I just don't understand. Are you saying what my surgeon did is fixing my rotator cuff? But the pain I feel is the same pain i felt before the operation. He told me that I can use my shoulder fully. I am under no restrictions.
                Melissa

Comment

• Yes. Why would a surgeon forget something in such a small area? They look at everything in there.

Its going to hurt some, they just went in there and cleaned things up through a couple of holes. These guys do thousands and thousands of these surgeries, the procedure has been dialed for decades.....Same for the gall bladder removal I had done, I think I read it’s the surgery that is done the most in North America.

When you see the arm surgeon, he should schedule you for Physical therapy on the arm. My arm surgeon wanted me in right away as he didn’t want it to freeze up. You will go in and the therapist will do range of motion on the shoulder, which is basically stretching to its limit, delicately. It actually feels pretty good. I went to PT for about 5 months.

This therapy also helped my back quite a bit.....At 9 months, using the arm bike worked well in building up the paraspinal’s in my thoracic.

Take it slow, and don’t get you arm caught on anything. You don’t want to tweak it right now.

Hang in there, you can do this.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• [QUOTE=titaniumed;141502]Yes. Why would a surgeon forget something in such a small area? They look at everything in there.

Its going to hurt some, they just went in there and cleaned things up through a couple of holes. These guys do thousands and thousands of these surgeries, the procedure has been dialed for decades.....Same for the gall bladder removal I had done, I think I read it’s the surgery that is done the most in North America.

When you see the arm surgeon, he should schedule you for Physical therapy on the arm. My arm surgeon wanted me in right away as he didn’t want it to freeze up. You will go in and the therapist will do range of motion on the shoulder, which is basically stretching to its limit, delicately. It actually feels pretty good. I went to PT for about 5 months.

This therapy also helped my back quite a bit.....At 9 months, using the arm bike worked well in building up the paraspinal’s in my thoracic.

Take it slow, and don’t get you arm caught on anything. You don’t want to tweak it right now.

Hang in there, you can do this.
                    Ed[/QUO. TE]

Thanks Ed. I guess I do not understand why he did not do what was decided on. I have minor pain in my arm but it is the same pain that I had before my surgery
                    Melissa

Comment

• Well, according to Dr Bederman, This surgery will work out for me. I got lucky that my surgeon did not have to fix my rotator cuff. What he did will hold my rotator cuff for a long time. I still need PT which will make my shoulder stronger
                      Melissa

Comment

• I knew there had to be an explanation. Thank goodness for Dr. Bederman for explaining it to you. You must have been quietly having conniptions about it. I hope all goes well, as it obviously has for Ed. Good luck Melissa.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• [QUOTE=mabeckoff;141477]
                          Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                          My c-section scar itched for a LONG time...years./QUOTE]

Really, was there anything that helped?
                          No, it was nerve regeneration. The area is still sensitive and it's been almost 20 years ago. I did have one other surgery through that incision 9 years ago, though. So I guess you could say that it's really only 9 years old. It doesn't itch now. Make sure that there is NO REDNESS on or around that old scar. Itching can be a sign of infection. Otherwise you might try asking you doc for lidoderm patches and see if they work. That's all I can think of that might help.
                          Be happy!
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

• The big questiion for me here is WHY did Dr. Bederman have to be the one to explain your surgery to you and NOT your surgeon?! I guess if they went in there and found that there was no tear in the actual rotator cuff, that would explain why they didn't fix it. I know two people who've had rotator cuff repair and they are put on heavy restricions about using that shoulder until the healing process is complete with the reattachment. They also went to PT and it was very painful. One guy I know had to have it done three times! The first surgeon botched the job, so he went to another hospital and had it redone when the surgeon got upset with him because of lingering pain, basically thinking he was drug seeking. Upon looking at his MRI, the new doc found the problem and fixed it. That same new doc did his other shoulder as well. Now he's fine. Between the three surgeries, it knocked him out of commission for about a year. You can be glad that they didn't have to do that to you. You are probably feeling the residual pain of surgery. I know that when I go in for my endometriosis surgeries, there is more pain than one would expect. They do a LOT of burning with lasers in there and it take time for the burns to heal. Quite frankly burns HURT no matter where you are burned. I don't know what technique they use for debridment, but if they used "cauterization" that's a burn and would explain your pain. Hopefully you will recover very quickly!
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

• [QUOTE=rohrer01;141534]The big questiion for me here is WHY did Dr. Bederman have to be the one to explain your surgery to you and NOT your surgeon?

The reason that Dr Bederman explained it to me is that I can email him at any time and within 3 hours( Unless he is operating ) he will get back to me. I do not have that sort of relationship with my shoulder surgeon
                              Melissa
                              Melissa

Comment

• Well, I am off to see my shoulder surgeon this afternoon . I should be getting the stitches out today and then I can shower
                                I guess then I will start PT
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X