No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, this is the run down of my two days at UCI. Wednesday I started off with a left SI injection at 7:30am. Then my friend picked me up and we had a great breakfast together talking. Then I went to the hospital and met Renee, from this forum. She had neck surgery Monday with Dr Bederman. Then I went to a doctor for the trigger point injection. This did nothing for my pain. At 3pm, I met with Dr Bederman. We went over what the hip surgeon had said. That doctor said that I need a right hip replacement and that he could not do anything for me .Dr Bederman thought that he might be able to help me as I have to wait to the end of this year or beginning of next year for the hip replacement surgery.So I am still on the same schedule for surgeries. July 9th will be my right shoulder surgery. Then I will have my right hip replaced at the end of the year or the beginning of next year. If then I am still having neck pain, Dr Bederman will do the back surgery so that I might be able to finally get pain relief.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. It means so much to me
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• sorry the trigger point didn't help, but not surprised...to me, those kind of shots
      are not enough for severe pain....
      hope the SI joint shot kicks in fast....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• What a journey! Hope that you find a solution.
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          sorry the trigger point didn't help, but not surprised...to me, those kind of shots
          are not enough for severe pain....
          hope the SI joint shot kicks in fast....

jess...& Sparky
          Yes the SI joint injection kicked in and it feels great
          Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by susancook View Post
            What a journey! Hope that you find a solution.
            Thanks for the good feelings
            Melissa

Comment

• It's good that you got at least some relief, and one step further along in your quest for pain relief. Long may it last!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                yes the si joint injection kicked in and it feels great
                yay!!!
                Yay!!!
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

• so glad to read that, Melissa....
                  wonder why more doctors dont try SI joint shots for thsoe with bad lumbar area pain....
                  when those shots work, they are wonderful.....
                  just don't get them too often....

jess

Comment

• I'm glad you got a little relief and that you have a plan! What is Dr. B planning for your back?
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      so glad to read that, Melissa....
                      wonder why more doctors dont try SI joint shots for thsoe with bad lumbar area pain....
                      when those shots work, they are wonderful.....
                      just don't get them too often....

jess
                      At this point, I am not planning on having any shots.That is why Dr Bederman is considering SI joint fusion for me soon as I am not getting my hip done until the end of the year or beginning of next year
                      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                        I'm glad you got a little relief and that you have a plan! What is Dr. B planning for your back?
                        When my back was fused in NC, my surgeon fused it in a not so great position. Now that is causing my neck pain. If the rotator cuff surgery and the hip replacement do not work on my neck pain, then Dr Bederman will have to break that section and refuse it. This will make my neck in a better position
                        Melissa

Comment

When my back was fused in NC, my surgeon fused it in a not so great position. Now that is causing my neck pain. If the rotator cuff surgery and the hip replacement do not work on my neck pain, then Dr Bederman will have to break that section and refuse it. This will make my neck in a better position
                          This may sound dumb, but how are shoulder and hip surgery going to help your neck?
                          Be happy!
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                            This may sound dumb, but how are shoulder and hip surgery going to help your neck?
                            Because my back is a solid mass, it puts more pressure on my shoulders and my hips..Also I might be walking slightly off or holding my shoulder incorrectly, they might be affecting my neck
                            Melissa

Comment

Because my back is a solid mass, it puts more pressure on my shoulders and my hips..Also I might be walking slightly off or holding my shoulder incorrectly, they might be affecting my neck
                              Okay, being that I suffer from neck issues that make my shoulder hurt, I can understand that. I didn't think about walking off kilter making your neck hurt, but that makes sense too. Your muscles get strained trying to make the adjustment. BUT, since your neck is already fused is it hurting above the fusion at the top two that aren't fused?
                              Be happy!
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                                Okay, being that I suffer from neck issues that make my shoulder hurt, I can understand that. I didn't think about walking off kilter making your neck hurt, but that makes sense too. Your muscles get strained trying to make the adjustment. BUT, since your neck is already fused is it hurting above the fusion at the top two that aren't fused?
                                I only have one level above my fused level. I really do not think that either surgery will help my neck pain. Both of these surgeries are necessary however.
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X