• Show
Clear All

• Thanks all for your prayers and good wishes
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by debbei View Post
      Melissa, that's the EXACT pain and location that I was having in January/February. The pain felt like I was being stabbed, and at times I could hardly breathe. It was so scary. I had an injection by my surgeon into the muscle of lidocaine/cortisone that gave almost instant relief. Within a month I was back to normal. He thought that a few of the screws irritated my muscle, which became inflamed, which caused the spasms. THe spasms started in the back (same spot as you), but then moved ALL the way around from front to back--like a horribly tight bra.

Anti inflamatories also helped.

I hope you can get some help.
      I spoke to my arm surgeon and he will give me an injection the day of my surgery. I hope I get some relief
      Melissa

Comment

• So sorry to hear about this scare with your son, Melissa. I hope that's all it turns out to be, just a scare, as in Rohr's situation. As always, wishing you, and your son, the very best.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your support. It means so much to me.

Well, I finally got my son to get the X ray for scoliosis. I asked for a copy of it and I am sending it to Dr Bederman to see what he says.

My drama just does not end,
          Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa

I'll certainly have my fingers crossed for you and your son. You seem like a very strong lady so I'm sure you can get threw anything but I'll be thinking only good thoughts.

Jenna x
            27 yr old Female.
            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
              Thanks everyone for your support. It means so much to me.

Well, I finally got my son to get the X ray for scoliosis. I asked for a copy of it and I am sending it to Dr Bederman to see what he says.

My drama just does not end,
              Does he have scoliosis, too? What about your daughter?
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                Does he have scoliosis, too? What about your daughter?
                The xray showed his spine beading toward the left about 1/2 down. I mailed Dr Bederman the xrays today so he should have them Monday and then I will know more.

Do you mean does my daughter have scoliosis? I do not know because she has not lived with me for about 15 months now
                Melissa

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Hopefully, he will have the MRI next week. He is a wreck just thinking about the situation. Both my husband and I am as well
                  Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                    The xray showed his spine beading toward the left about 1/2 down. I mailed Dr Bederman the xrays today so he should have them Monday and then I will know more.

Do you mean does my daughter have scoliosis? I do not know because she has not lived with me for about 15 months now
                    Did she show signs of it as an adolescent? I'm sorry to hear that your son has scoliosis. Hopefully it's not severe.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                      Did she show signs of it as an adolescent? I'm sorry to hear that your son has scoliosis. Hopefully it's not severe.
                      No she never showed any signs of it during her teen years. I will know more about Jarret on Monday. Hopefully his MRI will be next week

Thanks for asking
                      Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
                        When my son was one we had to have an ultrasound of his brain because the doctor was concerned about possible encephalitis. However, because all of his developmental milestones were normal, the doctor said it would likely be benign encephalitis if any. He turned out to be fine. I will be praying for the same results for your son!

Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                          Melissa,
                          When my son was one we had to have an ultrasound of his brain because the doctor was concerned about possible encephalitis. However, because all of his developmental milestones were normal, the doctor said it would likely be benign encephalitis if any. He turned out to be fine. I will be praying for the same results for your son!

Evelyn
                          Thanks for the prayers
                          Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                            Melissa,

Evelyn
                            What were his symptoms?
                            Melissa

Comment

• Sleeping away from home

My husband and I went away for the weekend. This was the first time since my surgery last year that I have not slept either in a hospital bed or my new bed.I have to sleep with my head raised between of my fusion. I had purchased a foam wedge that I thought would be ok to sleep on. Well, it did not work. I could not get comfortable. I slept very little and today slept in the car.
                              Now I am very sad because I was planning on going to NC this summer to see my daughter
                              Melissa

Comment

• The day will come Melissa! You're still healing and you have more surgery coming, but the day is coming that you will have all this surgery and healing over with, and you will be able to do the things you want and need to do. I for one, and I'm sure many others, will stay with this forum to hear about it. If anybody deserves it, it's you.
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X