Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
    Melissa--
    Recently I've just glanced on here and thought the shots were helping. I'm so sorry that you are in so much pain. I surely hope you are better by this AM or have had it checked with dr. Sure been thinking of you. Janet
    The pain is somewhat better today. Yes the shots are working in my hips but this is a new pain between my left shoulder and my spine
    Thanks for asking
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
      so sorry you are in such awful pain tonite...without a way to have relief...
      what do you mean by squeezed....?
      is it like you cannot breathe...?
      do you think you should head to the ER????

jess
      The feeling is not being able to breathe. It is like wearing a very tight garment or a snake squeezing you
      Melissa

Comment

• it sounds awful Melissa....
        i am glad it eased a little, but it sounds scary....
        is it muscle spasms...?
        i get botox shots around where you are describing...but lower down....
        when i get really tense in upper spine, it feels like something
        is clamping down on my muscles...

jess

Comment

• [QUOTE=jrnyc;140549][COLOR="#0000CD"]it sounds awful Melissa....
          i am glad it eased a little, but it sounds scary....
          is it muscle spasms...?
          i get botox shots around where you are describing...but lower down....
          when i get really tense in upper spine, it feels like something
          is clamping down on my muscles...

It is worse than muscle spasms . Your description of something clamping down on my muscles sounds good
          Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
            The feeling is not being able to breathe. It is like wearing a very tight garment or a snake squeezing you
            Melissa, that's the EXACT pain and location that I was having in January/February. The pain felt like I was being stabbed, and at times I could hardly breathe. It was so scary. I had an injection by my surgeon into the muscle of lidocaine/cortisone that gave almost instant relief. Within a month I was back to normal. He thought that a few of the screws irritated my muscle, which became inflamed, which caused the spasms. THe spasms started in the back (same spot as you), but then moved ALL the way around from front to back--like a horribly tight bra.

Anti inflamatories also helped.

I hope you can get some help.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by debbei View Post
              Melissa, that's the EXACT pain and location that I was having in January/February. The pain felt like I was being stabbed, and at times I could hardly breathe. It was so scary. I had an injection by my surgeon into the muscle of lidocaine/cortisone that gave almost instant relief. Within a month I was back to normal. He thought that a few of the screws irritated my muscle, which became inflamed, which caused the spasms. THe spasms started in the back (same spot as you), but then moved ALL the way around from front to back--like a horribly tight bra.

Anti inflamatories also helped.

I hope you can get some help.
              Yes that is exactly what I am feeling. I will talk to Dr Bederman and see what he thinks
              Thanks
              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                That is very interesting about the connection between leg cramps and cortisone shots. I just got a left SI injection and that is the leg cramping up on me
                Melissa, If there is a connection between your leg cramping and the cortisone shots, it shouldn't last very long.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Melissa,
                  Sorry to be going back a bit, but when you say your back was fused in a not so great position, what do you mean? Is it causing flatback, kyphosis, or something else? Just curious. Sometimes I feel like I have too much lordosis, but Golfnut said she felt that at first and it went away. Probably not relevant to your situation, but I was just wondering what kind of problem it is. I'm sorry you have been feeling so bad!!
                  Also, what's the latest with your house?

Evelyn
                  age 48
                  80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                  Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                  Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                  Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                  Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                    Melissa,
                    Sorry to be going back a bit, but when you say your back was fused in a not so great position, what do you mean? Is it causing flatback, kyphosis, or something else? Just curious. Sometimes I feel like I have too much lordosis, but Golfnut said she felt that at first and it went away. Probably not relevant to your situation, but I was just wondering what kind of problem it is. I'm sorry you have been feeling so bad!!
                    Also, what's the latest with your house?

Evelyn
                    Hi Evelyn, I have kyphosis, caused by by my NC surgeon . About my house, we should be breaking ground August 1. We have finalized the floor plan. Now it will take about 6 weeks to get all the permits that the builder needs . The builder says that we should be in by January 1
                    Melissa

Comment

• They gave you kyphosis? That would definitely put a strain on your neck. IF your next two surgeries don't help your neck, is Dr Bederman going to fix that problem or just work on your neck? I hope you feel better! Congrats on getting things rolling (finally) with your new house. How exciting to have a brand new house!
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                        They gave you kyphosis? That would definitely put a strain on your neck. IF your next two surgeries don't help your neck, is Dr Bederman going to fix that problem or just work on your neck? I hope you feel better! Congrats on getting things rolling (finally) with your new house. How exciting to have a brand new house!
                        No, if my next two surgeries do not fix my problem then Dr Bederman will fix the kyphosis. Thanks for the good wishes about my house. Yes it will be exciting finally to get into a new house
                        Melissa

Comment

• OT-my 17 year old son

This is OT . Yesterday, I took my son to a neurologist because he has some sleeping issues and we need a letter for the upcoming school year stating this. Well, she tested his reflexes and got a very rare response from his ankles and feet. She is sending him for a MRI and she told us that she is either looking for a tumor or encephalitis. Neither is good so , if you are the sort of person who prays can you do so for him?

Thanks so much
                          Melissa

Comment

• I will be praying for you and your son.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Melissa,
                              I'm so sorry to hear about your son. If it makes you feel any better, I've had some weird neurologic responses or lack of responses which have always turned up nothing on MRI or CT/myelogram. Sometimes we have odd reflexes, so I hope it is nothing. They thought I had a tumor on my spine in the cervical area when I was 16 because of the responses and evidence on x-ray. I didn't have a tumor although the symptoms in my left arm have persisted throughout my life. Sometimes they just don't have an explanation for things. I've also had persistent marked left leg weakness and lack of reflex that has never turned up anything. I don't know what the issues are with your son, and I'm certainly not asking you to post them here, but just wondering if his earlier problems might be contributing factors to his strange results. I'm rambling again. I wish you both the very best. But you know that already. Hang in there.
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Melissa,
                                I am so sorry to hear about this and absolutely you and your son are in my prayers. Janet
                                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                                X