Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    haha... never heard of that.
    One of the perils of a spell check developed by a man.....
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Now I have to change my signature....Ha ha

Ed
      That must really hurt if that was the end of your fusion, Ed! So glad that I am a woman! No wonder they kept you sedated so long after surgery! Ouch! Bummer.....
      ;+}

Not so sure that you will be popular with the ladies, Ed if they knew....probably wouldn't recommend that you change your signature......
      Last edited by susancook; 07-26-2013, 01:11 AM.
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by back2life View Post
        I think I have found one of my reasons for my pain-problems. Reading these, I am totally breaking the rules. I have tied shoes, clipped my toenails, have a bottom freezer with fridge on top, picked up my kitten and small dog from the floor (I always squat, though) and grabbed many things from the floor. I cannot walk through a room and see crap on my floors! Again, I always try to squat but I am wondering if I am straining my back. I really wish I had a brace to monitor what I should be doing!!!! If I jeopardize the success of this surgery for the vanity of my house I will never forgive myself! I WILL find a grabber this weekend to help with this problem.
        Jen: Girl, get over the crap on the floor! I keep a list of stuff for my husband to pick up if my grabber isn't handy. Pills that i drop on the floor are especially difficult for me to pick up. Bottom line: how many times do you want to have the surgery done, girlfriend? Buy lots of grabbers. I just ordered 3 more of the folding grabbers. One for my car and 2 more for the house.
        Susan

I think that you can get a softer brace over the Internet, but first ask your MD if it's OK. It would be a constant reminder of good body mechanics. Wear a soft all cotton t shirt underneath because it is a personal sauna!

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
          Jen: Girl, get over the crap on the floor! I keep a list of stuff for my husband to pick up if my grabber isn't handy. Pills that i drop on the floor are especially difficult for me to pick up. Bottom line: how many times do you want to have the surgery done, girlfriend? Buy lots of grabbers. I just ordered 3 more of the folding grabbers. One for my car and 2 more for the house.
          Susan

I think that you can get a softer brace over the Internet, but first ask your MD if it's OK. It would be a constant reminder of good body mechanics. Wear a soft all cotton t shirt underneath because it is a personal sauna!
          I think I am going to get the sweeper out and then with the grabber I will have use a tub and all the crap that I find is going into it. The kids and the husband can weed through all the crap! Ahhhhh, 2 more weeks and I will have my house back to myself. Sanity is just around the corner.
          After posting this tonight, I was a Sargent with commands, politely. I would see something and ask who ever was closest to come pick it up. It's not like we have small children in the house. Just seem to be lazy ones!!!
          As always, thanks For making me smile Sharon.
          *Jen
          Fusion surgery with Dr. Chang May 7, 2013
          Pre-T:50 L:48
          Post-T:20 L:0
          Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
          {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

Comment

I thought it was interesting when Dr. Lenke explained to me to think of the rods as a paperclip. If you bend the metal of a paperclip enough times, the metal will snap. He said that applies to rods, obviously stronger than a paper clip, but if a person continuously bends beyond what he advises, the rods will be compromised.
            44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
            Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
            2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
              I thought it was interesting when Dr. Lenke explained to me to think of the rods as a paperclip. If you bend the metal of a paperclip enough times, the metal will snap. He said that applies to rods, obviously stronger than a paper clip, but if a person continuously bends beyond what he advises, the rods will be compromised.
              Thanks Hun! This is a great explanation. I have said it is interesting that my surgeon is very relaxed with his restrictions but then when I went for my 6 week check up, I saw his PA and she was reigning me in. I have paperwork of what I can and cannot do but it is more sports activities. Why not out household activities too??? It would be helpful!
              *Jen
              Fusion surgery with Dr. Chang May 7, 2013
              Pre-T:50 L:48
              Post-T:20 L:0
              Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
              {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

Comment

I think I am going to get the sweeper out and then with the grabber I will have use a tub and all the crap that I find is going into it. The kids and the husband can weed through all the crap! Ahhhhh, 2 more weeks and I will have my house back to myself. Sanity is just around the corner.
                After posting this tonight, I was a Sargent with commands, politely. I would see something and ask who ever was closest to come pick it up. It's not like we have small children in the house. Just seem to be lazy ones!!!
                As always, thanks For making me smile Sharon.
                Great going, Jen! The year after your surgery is the time to take care of yourself!
                Susan

Comment

Thanks Hun! This is a great explanation. I have said it is interesting that my surgeon is very relaxed with his restrictions but then when I went for my 6 week check up, I saw his PA and she was reigning me in. I have paperwork of what I can and cannot do but it is more sports activities. Why not out household activities too??? It would be helpful!
                  Household activities? Don't bend, lift, or twist! Susan

Comment

Household activities? Don't bend, lift, or twist! Susan

Comment

Heh heh-- I was told that included things like vacuuming and mopping, changing the sheets, etc., and anything at all that caused you to bend or twist. Since my hubby was there and heard, he pulled through. The house wasn't that great, but we were both fine with it. (smile)
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Do be careful--you just can't rush somethings. They come back{or not}very slowly. Also I was able to fracture through the area above the fusion by reaching for a tissue. That was 6days post op. So I was not moving well yet. So be careful.
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

It is so worth it to be patient with yourself and your limitations during the first 4-6 months or more. Eventually, things get back to normal.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Love all the humor - we all definitely need it. I am fused from T9-S1, 15 months post-op and have to say that I can do almost anything. I do them differently but can still do. My toes however do not come out as good so I have opted for pedicures. Dive in and enjoy it! I clean my house better than the cleaning woman did when I was recovering, do wash, bend (not the same). When I see pictures it kind of looks like I have a stick up my butt but hey - I can do it! I don't walk as fast as I could and haven't really run - more like an an older woman - I am 54 now but I really didn't run much before. Best of luck with you decision. I will also say to you that I am pain free. God Bless You!

Comment

Working...
                            X