Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockycarm
    replied
    Love all the humor - we all definitely need it. I am fused from T9-S1, 15 months post-op and have to say that I can do almost anything. I do them differently but can still do. My toes however do not come out as good so I have opted for pedicures. Dive in and enjoy it! I clean my house better than the cleaning woman did when I was recovering, do wash, bend (not the same). When I see pictures it kind of looks like I have a stick up my butt but hey - I can do it! I don't walk as fast as I could and haven't really run - more like an an older woman - I am 54 now but I really didn't run much before. Best of luck with you decision. I will also say to you that I am pain free. God Bless You!

Leave a comment:

• golfnut
    replied
    It is so worth it to be patient with yourself and your limitations during the first 4-6 months or more. Eventually, things get back to normal.

Leave a comment:

• jackieg412
    replied
    Do be careful--you just can't rush somethings. They come back{or not}very slowly. Also I was able to fracture through the area above the fusion by reaching for a tissue. That was 6days post op. So I was not moving well yet. So be careful.

Leave a comment:

• Susie*Bee
    replied
    Heh heh-- I was told that included things like vacuuming and mopping, changing the sheets, etc., and anything at all that caused you to bend or twist. Since my hubby was there and heard, he pulled through. The house wasn't that great, but we were both fine with it. (smile)

Leave a comment:

• susancook
    replied
    Originally posted by back2life View Post
    Thanks Hun! This is a great explanation. I have said it is interesting that my surgeon is very relaxed with his restrictions but then when I went for my 6 week check up, I saw his PA and she was reigning me in. I have paperwork of what I can and cannot do but it is more sports activities. Why not out household activities too??? It would be helpful!
    Household activities? Don't bend, lift, or twist! Susan

Leave a comment:

• susancook
    replied
    Thanks Hun! This is a great explanation. I have said it is interesting that my surgeon is very relaxed with his restrictions but then when I went for my 6 week check up, I saw his PA and she was reigning me in. I have paperwork of what I can and cannot do but it is more sports activities. Why not out household activities too??? It would be helpful!
    Household activities? Don't bend, lift, or twist! Susan

Leave a comment:

• susancook
    replied
    I think I am going to get the sweeper out and then with the grabber I will have use a tub and all the crap that I find is going into it. The kids and the husband can weed through all the crap! Ahhhhh, 2 more weeks and I will have my house back to myself. Sanity is just around the corner.
    After posting this tonight, I was a Sargent with commands, politely. I would see something and ask who ever was closest to come pick it up. It's not like we have small children in the house. Just seem to be lazy ones!!!
    As always, thanks For making me smile Sharon.
    Great going, Jen! The year after your surgery is the time to take care of yourself!
    Susan

Leave a comment:

• back2life
    replied
    Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
    I thought it was interesting when Dr. Lenke explained to me to think of the rods as a paperclip. If you bend the metal of a paperclip enough times, the metal will snap. He said that applies to rods, obviously stronger than a paper clip, but if a person continuously bends beyond what he advises, the rods will be compromised.

Leave a comment:

• Doreen1
    replied
    I thought it was interesting when Dr. Lenke explained to me to think of the rods as a paperclip. If you bend the metal of a paperclip enough times, the metal will snap. He said that applies to rods, obviously stronger than a paper clip, but if a person continuously bends beyond what he advises, the rods will be compromised.

Leave a comment:

• back2life
    replied
    Originally posted by susancook View Post
    Jen: Girl, get over the crap on the floor! I keep a list of stuff for my husband to pick up if my grabber isn't handy. Pills that i drop on the floor are especially difficult for me to pick up. Bottom line: how many times do you want to have the surgery done, girlfriend? Buy lots of grabbers. I just ordered 3 more of the folding grabbers. One for my car and 2 more for the house.
    Susan

I think that you can get a softer brace over the Internet, but first ask your MD if it's OK. It would be a constant reminder of good body mechanics. Wear a soft all cotton t shirt underneath because it is a personal sauna!
    I think I am going to get the sweeper out and then with the grabber I will have use a tub and all the crap that I find is going into it. The kids and the husband can weed through all the crap! Ahhhhh, 2 more weeks and I will have my house back to myself. Sanity is just around the corner.
    After posting this tonight, I was a Sargent with commands, politely. I would see something and ask who ever was closest to come pick it up. It's not like we have small children in the house. Just seem to be lazy ones!!!
    As always, thanks For making me smile Sharon.

Leave a comment:

• susancook
    replied
    I think I have found one of my reasons for my pain-problems. Reading these, I am totally breaking the rules. I have tied shoes, clipped my toenails, have a bottom freezer with fridge on top, picked up my kitten and small dog from the floor (I always squat, though) and grabbed many things from the floor. I cannot walk through a room and see crap on my floors! Again, I always try to squat but I am wondering if I am straining my back. I really wish I had a brace to monitor what I should be doing!!!! If I jeopardize the success of this surgery for the vanity of my house I will never forgive myself! I WILL find a grabber this weekend to help with this problem.
    Jen: Girl, get over the crap on the floor! I keep a list of stuff for my husband to pick up if my grabber isn't handy. Pills that i drop on the floor are especially difficult for me to pick up. Bottom line: how many times do you want to have the surgery done, girlfriend? Buy lots of grabbers. I just ordered 3 more of the folding grabbers. One for my car and 2 more for the house.
    Susan

I think that you can get a softer brace over the Internet, but first ask your MD if it's OK. It would be a constant reminder of good body mechanics. Wear a soft all cotton t shirt underneath because it is a personal sauna!

Leave a comment:

• susancook
    replied
    Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    Now I have to change my signature....Ha ha

Ed
    That must really hurt if that was the end of your fusion, Ed! So glad that I am a woman! No wonder they kept you sedated so long after surgery! Ouch! Bummer.....
    ;+}

Not so sure that you will be popular with the ladies, Ed if they knew....probably wouldn't recommend that you change your signature......
    Last edited by susancook; 07-26-2013, 01:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• susancook
    replied
    Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    haha... never heard of that.
    One of the perils of a spell check developed by a man.....
    Susan

Leave a comment:

• back2life
    replied
    Thank you!!!! Many smiley faces

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
    Jen,

It's true the pre-op papers I got said not to bend, lift, twist or squat for the first four months, I believe. By not bending, they mean don't go tighter than a 90 degree angle between your abdomen and thigh. But, I wouldn't get too worried, as long as everything still seems in place. Dr. Lenke told me at my 5-week follow up appointment that I could begin to lift restrictions, as long as it didn't cause extra pain. I did do some minor squatting and going down on one knee to pick things up, occasionally. But usually I used the grabber. Anyway, all I'm saying is that while technically you've been breaking the rules, you probably will be just fine as long as you've been keeping your trunk stabilized and erect (which it sounds like you have).

Evelyn
    I am very tall and lean so I always go down to all fours or squat but there are times while seating I have bent and I think.....should I be doing this? I just wish I would have been shown right and wrong. I am a very visual person! I can feel it strain if I try to much so that is a good indicator but I think overall I have been safe.

Leave a comment:

• Confusedmom
    replied
    Jen,

It's true the pre-op papers I got said not to bend, lift, twist or squat for the first four months, I believe. By not bending, they mean don't go tighter than a 90 degree angle between your abdomen and thigh. But, I wouldn't get too worried, as long as everything still seems in place. Dr. Lenke told me at my 5-week follow up appointment that I could begin to lift restrictions, as long as it didn't cause extra pain. I did do some minor squatting and going down on one knee to pick things up, occasionally. But usually I used the grabber. Anyway, all I'm saying is that while technically you've been breaking the rules, you probably will be just fine as long as you've been keeping your trunk stabilized and erect (which it sounds like you have).

Evelyn

Leave a comment:

Working...
X