Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Grief!

I was outside with my daughter watching a storm roll in and we were enjoying the cool breeze. We stepped inside the house when I felt something crawling on my back. As I started to try and reach my back to brush off whatever it was, I realized I was being stung. My hand suddenly touched something, the pain got worse in my back and my daughter yelled, "WASP! It's in your hair now!" I didn't realize how I was reacting until my daughter updated me that the wasp had flow off of me. I was jumping up and down shaking my head and boy o boy, does my lumbar area hurt! Unbelievable!

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Great Weekend!

I was able to do a few new things this weekend:

1. Swim! It felt very odd, but I was able to put my hands on the edge of the pool while facing the edge and kick very slowly. I was quite shocked at how bad my shoulders hurt this morning.

2. Sit on lounge chair! It was pretty easy to squat down and slide onto the lounge chair and I was really comfortable too.

3. Squatted down to one knee to get into lower kitchen cabinet. I didn't stay down long, but I was able to take care of what I needed to.

Warmly,
      Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
        I was outside with my daughter watching a storm roll in and we were enjoying the cool breeze. We stepped inside the house when I felt something crawling on my back. As I started to try and reach my back to brush off whatever it was, I realized I was being stung. My hand suddenly touched something, the pain got worse in my back and my daughter yelled, "WASP! It's in your hair now!" I didn't realize how I was reacting until my daughter updated me that the wasp had flow off of me. I was jumping up and down shaking my head and boy o boy, does my lumbar area hurt! Unbelievable!

Warmly,
        Doreen
        That's the stuff nightmares are made of for me! I hope you are okay. I would have freaked out, TOTALLY! I can't imagine that happening after a fusion surgery. I hope you didn't move wrong and hurt yourself.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

1. Swim! It felt very odd, but I was able to put my hands on the edge of the pool while facing the edge and kick very slowly. I was quite shocked at how bad my shoulders hurt this morning.

2. Sit on lounge chair! It was pretty easy to squat down and slide onto the lounge chair and I was really comfortable too.

3. Squatted down to one knee to get into lower kitchen cabinet. I didn't stay down long, but I was able to take care of what I needed to.

Warmly,
          Doreen
          I just re-read some of your blog. Thanks for being so honest and for all of the pictures. I haven't had surgery and do not consider myself in enough pain nor enough disability to have the surgery. I have adult onset degenerative scoliosis, so only time will tell how gentle gravity is with me. Best of luck for a continued recovery and watch out for the bees!
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Warmly,
            Doreen
            Hi Doreen

Well Done with a fab weekend!

My msg isn't particularly about Dr Lenke but I don't know how to post a reply in a threat that doesn't relate to the thread if that makes sense.

Just looked at your pre and post op pics. I'm so pleased for you. My curves are different to yours but I find my stomach is all squashed up. I'm only 27 and a size 8/10 UK clothing, think that converts to 6/8 in US although slim everywhere else I'm so conscious of my stomach. I so hope I grow 4inches :-) and that I'm able to do the tasks you did this wkend 6mths after surgery. I'm awaiting full fusion with position pelvis fixation so I'm quite worried about my mobility after surgery.

Jenna

Jenna
            27 yr old Female.
            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• Videos: Postop Exercises

Thanks so much for your kind words, everyone! :-)

I'm in the processing of posting several videos of my post op exercises and the first few are on my blog.

Enjoy!

Warmly,
              Doreen
              Last edited by Doreen1; 05-29-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Doreen! This is very helpful. Congrats on your good weekend with continued progress. I am still waiting for the day that I will feel strong enough to keep myself out of bed for more than an hour. I guess that's why the exercises are not prescribed before 3 months post op.
                Pam, age 49
                Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                T-3 to sacrum

Comment

• Originally posted by TwinmomTN View Post
                  Thanks Doreen! This is very helpful. Congrats on your good weekend with continued progress. I am still waiting for the day that I will feel strong enough to keep myself out of bed for more than an hour. I guess that's why the exercises are not prescribed before 3 months post op.
                  Pam, you are only slightly more than a month out of surgery. Life will happen again. Now, you need to take care of yourself
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Loved your videos!!!!

Doreen,
                    I just went to your we site and loved seeing your exercises. That has to be so helpful to everyone before and after surgery. I feel like I know you even better after seeing you in the videos. Janet told me I could do step ups when I went for my 6 month check up, but I just realized I wasn't doing them right. I was doing it more like "step aerobics" taking my right foot up, left foot up, right foot down, left foot down. I also did them alternating left and right like I used to do with step aerobics. It's the only thing I've really done after surgery that got my heartbeat up. I add arm movements, too.
                    I'm sure Dr. Lenke and Nurse Kelly are so proud of you! You look fantastic!
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Doreen, you look terrific!!
                      and thank you for taking the time to do those videos...
                      very helpful to watch...
                      thanks to your helpers as well...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• I agree, you look great! You must be thrilled!

Thanks for doing the videos....mine would have been too....“Tim Allen”.

Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks so much for your kind words, everyone! :-)

I'm in the processing of posting several videos of my post op exercises and the first few are on my blog.

Enjoy!

Warmly,
                          Doreen
                          Hi Doreen

I'm awaiting full fusion and wanting to view your blog but the pictures or videos are just a white screen when I click on your link and scroll down. Do you know why by any chance?

Thanks

Jenna
                          27 yr old Female.
                          Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenna.KB View Post
                            Hi Doreen

I'm awaiting full fusion and wanting to view your blog but the pictures or videos are just a white screen when I click on your link and scroll down. Do you know why by any chance?

Thanks

Jenna
                            How strange. Maybe you tried accessing the blog when I was editing it with more videos? I'm not adding anything today; let me know what happens when you look at it now.

Are you familiar with the UK scoli forum? I used to visit it. Your surgeon's name was mentioned quite a bit on the forum. Refresh my memory, when is your surgery scheduled?

Warmly,
                            Doreen

Comment

• Doreen,
                              I watched all the videos, and I'm going to call and see which exercises I can do. Thanks for he inspiration! And I must say you are one tall, thin, STRAIGHT gal!!!

Cheers,
                              Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

How strange. Maybe you tried accessing the blog when I was editing it with more videos? I'm not adding anything today; let me know what happens when you look at it now.

Are you familiar with the UK scoli forum? I used to visit it. Your surgeon's name was mentioned quite a bit on the forum. Refresh my memory, when is your surgery scheduled?

Warmly,
                                Doreen
                                Hi Doreen,

No I'm still getting blank boxes. I click on your blog and scoll down and the boxes are blank. Do I need to log in or something?

I didn't know about the UK scoli forum I found this one and didn't think there was another for the scoliosis foundation. Do you know how I access it?

Unfortunately my surgery isn't scheduled yet. In in the UK you are on a waiting list. I was put on the list Jan 2011 and was told there were 8-9 people infront of me, not counting an cancer patients or emergencies. I was told in Oct 2011 that I should be in hospital by Mar. March came and went, in Apr my surgeon said he was operating on a lady the day after who had waited 20mths and there were 2-3 more people in front of me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed now for July/Aug. I'm sick of the waiting to be honest

Jenna
                                27 yr old Female.

Comment

Working...
                                X