Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spring72 View Post
    congrats on the good report Doreen, I think it is scary that we just have to 'assume' that our bones are fusing. I'm the type of person who needs proof, wish there was a better way. I also have the same bump in the same place as you do, I think it is very odd that so many of us have it but it is nice to know that I'm not the only one...
    Every time I have a Xray, more fusion along my spine can be seen
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• TSA Hidden Disabilities Card

I printed out the TSA card from http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/disabi...tion_cards.pdf and read more about hidden disabilities here
      http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1374.shtm I laminated the card.

The space is limited of what you can type into the card, so I entered: Fused spine: rods, screws and cages

The card is to alert agents that you are trying to be discrete about your hidden disability. Since I had read of a few postop folks who went through airport security without setting off alarms, that is what I tried when we left ATL. The alarms immediately went off and then I showed the agent my card. She explained that to prevent future pat downs, when first get to TSA, show them the card along with my ID and boarding pass and request to be scanned in the special machine.

I did what she suggested on our way home from STL; however, after exiting the special machine, I heard a walkie talkie announce, "Anomaly in the torso," which prompted an agent to pat down my back despite me showing her the card again. Both agents in ATL and STL were very nice and concerned about not wanting to hurt me, so the asked repeatedly if I was in pain anywhere.

Hope this info helps.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• "Anomaly in the torso" -- I LOVE that!! I think that should be the official term for all post-op scoliosis patients....!

Congratulations on your successful checkup. Regarding the dog issue: my daughter had been begging for a dog for years before I finally relented when I was two years post-op. We ended up adopting a tiny half dachshund/half chihuahua from the SPCA simply because he was so small I knew he wouldn't pull too hard on the leash and I could handle him easily. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with a big dog tugging on the leash.....

Anyway, best wishes as you continue to heal.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

• you haven't met my little Sparky...all 10 pounds of him...
          the neighbors laugh and say he walks me...
          proof that even little dogs need obedience school...
          but i love him more than anything...

thanks for the info about the TSA card....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• We have two dogs, one big and one little. Our big girl bolted when I was preop and drug me to my knees which wasn't fun. Our little guy pulls so hard that he rubs his paw pads raw. Quite the crew we have, but I'll continue to let my hubby and daughter hold the leash. The concern is not only getting tripped up on a leash, but being jerked quickly/hard that could potentially mess up my back.

There are many card carrying members of the Anomaly in the Torso club! LOL! :-)

Warmly,
            Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Flying

I flew to DC back in April and no alarms went off. I was told that the titanium shouldn't trigger the metal detectors. I do trigger the alarms in some stores entering and exiting but found that to be keys in my pocket : ))

I only have the rods and screws. No cages. Maybe that's the difference.
              50 years old!!!!!
              Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
              Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
              Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
              Surgery 07/11/2011
              Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
                I flew to DC back in April and no alarms went off. I was told that the titanium shouldn't trigger the metal detectors. I do trigger the alarms in some stores entering and exiting but found that to be keys in my pocket : ))

I only have the rods and screws. No cages. Maybe that's the difference.
                Isn't that interesting? I learned that I also have two "connectors" one at the top and one at the bottom of the rods. Dr. Lenke said they are there to help keep the ends of the rods in place.

I wonder if they type of hardware makes a difference in regards to alarms. Lenke said I have a combination of titanium and cobalt steel. Things in life that make you say, "Hmmmm."

Warmly,
                Doreen

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                  Every time I have a Xray, more fusion along my spine can be seen
                  Melissa,

Does fusion appear on an xray as a cloudy area around the screws?

Warmly,
                  Doreen

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                    Melissa,

Does fusion appear on an xray as a cloudy area around the screws?

Warmly,
                    Doreen
                    Yes and every time I have another Xray, there is more cloudy area on the xray

When I had my first surgery , in 2010 in Charlotte, I could see on the Xray where the broken rod was there was no cloudy area
                    Melissa

Comment

Isn't that interesting? I learned that I also have two "connectors" one at the top and one at the bottom of the rods. Dr. Lenke said they are there to help keep the ends of the rods in place.

I wonder if they type of hardware makes a difference in regards to alarms. Lenke said I have a combination of titanium and cobalt steel. Things in life that make you say, "Hmmmm."

Warmly,
                      Doreen
                      Cobalt steel. Not sure what that is but maybe that is the difference!!
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                      Surgery 07/11/2011
                      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                        Yes and every time I have another Xray, there is more cloudy area on the xray

When I had my first surgery , in 2010 in Charlotte, I could see on the Xray where the broken rod was there was no cloudy area
                        Do you recall how far along you were post op when your xrays first started appearing cloudy?

Warmly,
                        Doreen

Comment

Do you recall how far along you were post op when your xrays first started appearing cloudy?

Warmly,
                          Doreen
                          Doreen,

I would say about 6 months from surgery.
                          Melissa

Comment

• So great about seeing more & more fusion!
                            Curious if chromium cobalt rods will "trip" the alarms at the airport for Jacob. Just realized that I don't know which type of metal comprises the screws.
                            Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                            Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                            Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                            Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                            photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

• Congrats, Doreen! I have that bump, too. I could see it in my first post-op photos. It's weird. I can now also start to see the bottoms of my rib cages on my back--makes me worry that the rib hump will come back. But, so far, so good.

Thanks for the airport info. I think my rods/screws are cobalt chromium, but the cages are titanium.

Are you pain-free now?

Wishing you well,
                              Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                                Congrats, Doreen! I have that bump, too. I could see it in my first post-op photos. It's weird. I can now also start to see the bottoms of my rib cages on my back--makes me worry that the rib hump will come back. But, so far, so good.

Thanks for the airport info. I think my rods/screws are cobalt chromium, but the cages are titanium.

Are you pain-free now?

Wishing you well,
                                Evelyn
                                So strange that many of Lenke's patients have the bump. Are there any non-Lenke patients with similar bumps? I haven't had any pain, only tightness on the days I do upper body workouts. My lumbar area was a bit tender last night after I tried slightly bending a bit. Lenke told me to take it slow when reintroducing bending. For example, I tried to bend to lift the toilet seat, couldn't do it but it was a start.

When do you return to STL?

Warmly,
                                Doreen

Comment

Working...
                                X