Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Doreen,

Sorry for a silly question - so bending is allowed for you already? I read that people can bend and get close to the floor, but wondered if they are just testing waters and risking to break their rods or it's doctor's approved. How did it feel when you tried to reach to the toilet seat?

It would be wonderful if someone could tell what they could and couldn't to do at 1, 3, 6, 12 months post op...
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Originally posted by Irina View Post
      It would be wonderful if someone could tell what they could and couldn't to do at 1, 3, 6, 12 months post op...
      Here you go
      http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PostSurgActivities.htm
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• great resource

Thx for sharing, TiEd, I hadn't seen this website before-
        57 years old.
        thoracic curve 68 degrees
        lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
        Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
        Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
        THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

• Yes, thanks Ed! That's very interesting. I've broken a few of those rules. Oh well.
          50 years old!!!!!
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
          Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
          Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
          Surgery 07/11/2011
          Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

• Thanks, Ed! That is helpful.
            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Thank Linda Racine. Its her site....which she has worked very hard on over the years.

For those that need questions answered, I would highly recommend going through her site.

Read all of it. There will be a test on Monday. (smiley face)

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/

I’ve broken some rules also.....like lifting an “extremely” heavy television set yesterday. It was over 100#, and my fingers turned blue. Probably not the best way to tell if you are fused, but I would say its an acid test. Consider it a study. (the hard way, of course!)

Beast of burden
              Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Ed and sacrum fused folks. How far can u bend and how long did it take u to get to current bending point?
                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I missed a couple of days so the topic of airport security is probably dead, but I have been through airport security many times and have never set off any alarms and I have been through a body scanner with all the stainless screws and rods and titanium cages showing and they never batted an eyelash. You just ran into an uneducated TSA agent. That's what is wrong with the TSA.
                  My two cents worth.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irina View Post
                    Hi Doreen,

Sorry for a silly question - so bending is allowed for you already? I read that people can bend and get close to the floor, but wondered if they are just testing waters and risking to break their rods or it's doctor's approved. How did it feel when you tried to reach to the toilet seat?

When I tried bending to lift the seat lid, I didn't get very far before I just stopped. It felt odd but didn't hurt. I imagine things will be tight for a while since I've not tried bending for 6 months.

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                      Ed and sacrum fused folks. How far can u bend and how long did it take u to get to current bending point?

Since I had extensive low end work done, and having a broken shoulder, I didn’t bend over too far for a long time....I had a tough recovery for the first 3 months, and at 8 months finally had my shoulder repaired. I then started physical therapy at 8 months....At 6 months, I was released to do more, but was scared. After 5 months of PT, I went skiing and was putting my ski boots on. That was March 2009, see my Park City, Utah thread.

I can get my fingertips around 4 inches off the floor. If I stretch my legs which I don’t do as much as I did years ago, I could probably make the floor.....(I used to palm the floor-pre surgery)

I would just go a little farther each day. The tightness takes a long time to get stretched out. It took me around 2 years total. 2 years for “full” recovery.

I don’t squat for the dishwasher anymore, I bend over now. After surgery, I would drop plates, and silverware into the dishwasher, then squat to organize all the items before starting the machine.
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Long fusions require a long recovery in 50 year olds. We constantly see people that are on some sort of time schedule for some reason or another, and it truly is best to expect this healing process to take a long time. 1-2 years. During this period, we really need to be resting and healing.

I hope future patients realize this. They need to plan accordingly.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                        Ed and sacrum fused folks. How far can u bend and how long did it take u to get to current bending point?
                        I can pick something small off the floor, as in, swoop down, grab it then up again. But bending down and holding that position is not so easy. For example, scrubbing something off the floor. For that I will kneel. I can't remember when I started bending as normal, but I do remember that at around 7 months, I pulled out about 90 potted plants and repotted them with new potting mix which took me about 2-3 hours a day for about a week. This involved a lot of bending and lifting about 5-6 kg per pot. I didn't have a skerrick of pain, it felt fine, but I left the big pots for my daughter to do.

Scrubbing the bath, the shower recess, the wall-oven, they are the hardest jobs because it means bending and scrubbing (holding the position) but they are doable. The other day my partner was pulling the trailer round to the back yard, full of stones, and he asked me to push from behind. That involved bending and pushing. I was useless! That's the first thing I've found I can't do.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          I can pick something small off the floor, as in, swoop down, grab it then up again. But bending down and holding that position is not so easy. For example, scrubbing something off the floor. For that I will kneel. I can't remember when I started bending as normal, but I do remember that at around 7 months, I pulled out about 90 potted plants and repotted them with new potting mix which took me about 2-3 hours a day for about a week. This involved a lot of bending and lifting about 5-6 kg per pot. I didn't have a skerrick of pain, it felt fine, but I left the big pots for my daughter to do.

Scrubbing the bath, the shower recess, the wall-oven, they are the hardest jobs because it means bending and scrubbing (holding the position) but they are doable. The other day my partner was pulling the trailer round to the back yard, full of stones, and he asked me to push from behind. That involved bending and pushing. I was useless! That's the first thing I've found I can't do.
                          Wow I am impressed
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                            Wow I am impressed
                            <smiley face>

I have been very lucky. First time in my life I've actually felt lucky and I have it in bucketloads. It could have gone the other way. Wish I could spread it around.

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post

When you say "swoop down" are you talking about squatting down or bending at your waist? Thanks for share your great info!

Warmly,
                              Doreen

Comment

• Doreen, I bend from my hips. I also bend my knees a little at the same time, which lowers me that little bit more. I had to do it just now, to find out for myself because I do it without thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X