spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel

The young mother set her foot on the path of life.
    "Is this the long way?" she asked.

And the guide said: "Yes, and the way is hard. And
    you will be old before you reach the end of it. But
    the end will be better than the beginning."

But the young mother was happy, and she would not
    believe that anything could be better than these
    years. So she played with her children, and gathered
    flowers for them along the way, and bathed them in the
    clear streams; and the sun shone on them, and the
    young Mother cried, "Nothing will ever be lovelier
    than this."

Then the night came, and the storm, and the path was
    dark, and the children shook with fear and cold, and
    the mother drew them close and covered them with her
    mantle, and the children said, "Mother, we are not
    afraid, for you are near, and no harm can come."

And the morning came, and there was a hill ahead, and
    the children climbed and grew weary, and the mother
    was weary. But at all times she said to the
    children," A little patience and we are there." So the
    children climbed, and when they reached the top they
    said, "Mother, we would not have done it without you."

And the mother, when she lay down at night looked up
    at the stars and said, "This is a better day than the
    last, for my children have learned fortitude in the
    face of hardness. Yesterday I gave them courage.
    Today, I have given them strength."

And the next day came strange clouds which darkened
    the earth, clouds of war and hate and evil, and the
    children groped and stumbled, and the mother said:
    "Look up. Lift your eyes to the light." And the
    children looked and saw above the clouds an
    everlasting glory, and it guided them beyond the
    darkness. And that night the Mother said, "This is
    the best day of all, for I have shown my children
    God."

And the days went on, and the weeks and the months and
    the years, and the mother grew old and she was little
    and bent. But her children were tall and strong, and
    walked with courage. And when the way was rough,
    they lifted her, for she was as light as a feather;
    and at last they came to a hill, and beyond they could see a shining
    road and golden gates flung wide.

And mother said: "I have reached the end of my
    journey. And now I know the end is better than the
    beginning, for my children can walk alone, and their
    children after them."

And the children said, "You will always walk with us,
    Mother, even when you have gone through the gates."
    And they stood and watched her as she went on alone,
    and the gates closed after her. And they said: "We
    cannot see her, but she is with us still. A Mother
    like ours is more than a
    memory. She is a living presence."

Your Mother is always with you. She's the whisper of
    the leaves as you walk down the street; she's the
    smell of bleach in your freshly laundered socks; she's
    the cool hand on your brow when you're not well. Your
    Mother lives inside your laughter. And she's
    crystallized in every teardrop.

She's the place you came from, your first home; and
    she's the map you follow with every step you take.
    She's your first love and your first heartbreak, and
    nothing on earth can separate you... Not time, not
    space...not even death
    Where's dad?

Comment

• Where's dad?
      and don't say; gone to the pub with his mates!!

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
        Where's dad?
        Well, the father was obviously out providing for food and shelter. As the family was climbing up various hills, he was out in front clearing brush/fighting off dangerous animals and thus making the path easier for the mom and kids.

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• good answer!!

Comment

• good answer!!
            correction; Great answer!!

Comment

• lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              For all the dads on this forum, you could replace "mother" with "father" in the poem. All that, forging the way, and fighting off dangerous animals.

P.S. Maybe occasionally gone to the pub with his mates? lol
              Last edited by cherylplinder; 05-02-2006, 10:20 AM.
              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• theory...

one of the stuffs they went over at the spine symposium the other day was the protein which could regenerate discs..
                it is impractical at the moment because the method of delivery is invasive and short half life requires it to be done fairly often..
                so they are developing gene therapy or cell therapy to do this..
                it'll be of big help with degenrative scoliosis..
                those with scoliosis tends to have degenerative discs also and that would be also place where this would be very useful...
                it actually changes heghit of disc and perhaps this may lead to some curve improvements along with proper rehab..

I'm thinking between spinecor, mooney's or other types of rehab along with above type of therapy would go a long way in improving curves with minimally invasive procedures..

Another thought I had was...they use what's called, vertebroplasty...using a balloon, you lift the collapsed vertebra and fill up the empty space with some filler material...

for those with bone deformation due to prolonged severe curves, I'm wondering if they could surgically break the bone and do vertebroplasty to reshape the bone...

I think it may be the matter of which surgeon would be daring enough to do some experimental stuffs...

all these stuffs just have to come together...I'm not sure if it's feasible since surgery is not my area...but it is exciting nonetheless..

ok guys..i'm signing off...have so many backed up reports...
                An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

• Did Vert Mooney speak?
                  God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Dr. Mooney program

We live in San Diego, so we had an appointment with Dr. Mooney personally in his center. He said that for my son (curve >40 Cobb) his program probably would not be beneficial, that we can try, if we want. He sounded very skeptical about our case, and said that for their research trial they take mostly girls < 30 Cobb. It’s just some info for the people thinking about this treatment.

Comment

• that does make sense, once you get past 40 it is hard to imagine how balancing out of muscles conceivably could make an awfull lot of difference, still, one can try. is he still running the programme actively?

Comment

• Originally posted by tmom
                        We live in San Diego, so we had an appointment with Dr. Mooney personally in his center. He said that for my son (curve >40 Cobb) his program probably would not be beneficial, that we can try, if we want. He sounded very skeptical about our case, and said that for their research trial they take mostly girls < 30 Cobb. It’s just some info for the people thinking about this treatment.

Hi,

Is Dr Mooney using resistance training in conjunction with bracing ? I realize his study was very small but there were children in the study whose curves were above 40 degrees and did well - these children apparently were *not* braced ?

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• i did exchange a few emails with him at some stage and i am pretty sure he did the exercises without additional bracing, whether he has changed that approach I don't know. In any case, he is not an orthopaedic surgeon so bracing or not would not be his decision.

I think that if his approach works, then it will work even better if combined with bracing.

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                            In any case, he is not an orthopaedic surgeon so bracing or not would not be his decision.

According to this website, he is an orthopaedic surgeon. Hmmm....I find it odd that he wouldn't prescribe bracing.

http://www.spine-health.com/doctor/VertMooney/

Canadian eh

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                              According to this website, he is an orthopaedic surgeon. Hmmm....I find it odd that he wouldn't prescribe bracing.

http://www.spine-health.com/doctor/VertMooney/
                              well, I was completely wrong there, wasn't I?

Comment

• I find it odd that he wouldn't prescribe bracing.
                                this might be because it is still in the trial phase (possibly) where he wants to compare torsorotation to no treatment, or maybe he just doesn't believe in bracing in the first place, or feels it is a cruel trwatment???

Comment

Working...
                                X