spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mbg

to us the key-issue was, when still using hardbrace, how much correction was achieved. Only way of knowing is with in-brace xray compared to out of brace. All available evidence shows that needs to aim for about 50% correction (or more) to have reasoable chance of succes.

Do try to make your mind up with regards to manageability of hardbrace over the next 3 months or so. If you think you want to try spinecor, do not wait much longer as this one becomes less effective following longer hardbrace wear (due to general stiffening up of structures i assume)

gerbo

Comment

• Hey guys,

This has nothing to do with scoliosis but I have to share..... I'm so *very* proud of my son Dylan!!! I got a call from the school principal today and she asked me if I'm familiar with the C CAT test which is an acronym for Canadian Cognitive Abilities Test and it's administered to all the Grade 4's across Canada. She went on to say "any child that scores between 138 and 150 is considered "gifted" and your son Dylan scored 150!!!" Dylan is in the 99 percentile all across Canada!!!! I'm totally COMPLETELY floored! Does this mean I've got an Einstein on my hands?! What this means for his education is that he's now labelled "gifted" and they will give him a different curriculum in school. Once he starts high-school he will be offered the option of taking University courses! Hmmmm... I think a celebration party is in order!

Last edited by Celia; 01-30-2007, 04:42 PM.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• wow!

Celia,

Congratulations! You must be very proud of your son. He must get his brains from his mom!! A celebration is definately in order.

Ann R.
        Mother to 14 year old daughter
        Diagnosed with infantile scoliosis at 6 months (54 degree left thoracic)
        Boston Brace for 5 years.
        Montreal to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard 7/04 to 1/08(spinecor brace and 3 casts)
        surgery with Dr. Clements Oct. 2008 (8 staples and a hybrid rod)
        3 lengthenings with Dr. Samdani
        Scheduled for fusion with Dr. Samdani

Comment

• Celia,

That is wonderful news. Hopefully this will take your mind off of scoliosis for a while. Enjoy the celebration!
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• It is taking my mind off scoliosis! It's funny everyone in the family is trying to take credit The grandparents are saying that the intelligence genes skipped a generation and Dylan got his intelligence from them and then of course hubby is trying to take all the credit since his specialty was physics in University and he did extremely well. I don't think intelligence is genetic though

We're taking Dylan to his favourite restaurant on the weekend for a special Sunday Brunch.

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Not to start another heated discussion, but I do believe genetics plays a role in intelligence. Of course I believe in both nature/nurture. But I have looked at many families over the years, and when you have one or more highly intelligent Parents, the children are usually very intelligent, as well. Of course we know that Parenting styles are a huge influence on kids and how well they do in school. But I am talking about potential. Just like anything else. Some kids are born with a gift for singing or dancing. Some kids just have an amazing brain. Of course, there is something to be said for hard work. But some kids have to work harder than others. I have three kids and 2 have to work much harder than the 1 to achieve even less than what he achieves academically. Don't know why I am rambling. I will stop now.
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Hey gang,

The plan is to get a new brace next time we are in Montreal, which is next month I've already warned hubby of the impending expenditure and everything is a go! We're planning to spend a few days in Montreal just to make sure that the brace is okay and of course to enjoy the sights. Any good attractions besides the Biodome? What's a good eating place for kids besides McDonalds? There is one location that has a Mc Cafe next to McDonalds and they serve the most exquisite Mc Lattes

Canadian eh

Comment

• Hi Celia, Why are you getting a new brace? Is it because she's growing? I really never even thought about a new brace for us . . . . . Can't imagine . . . she's been in her brace about the same time as your daughter, I think (16 months). We're due back up there sometime in May or June.

When we were up there last October, it was beautiful weather, we took our bikes, and rode the bike trail along the St. Lawrence River, great trail, hoping to do that again in May/June. Pat

Comment

• Pat,

There are a few things....when we got the brace 16 months ago, Deirdre was about 43 inches and now she's 47 inches tall so in the back of my mind I feel she has outgrown the brace - the lace on the back of the pelvic base is not centred properly and skews off to the left. The thigh bands are in *very* bad shape with rips that I've patched with moleskin. The velcro on the bolero is worn and doesn't stick well. I spoke to Dr. Coillard today and she said that replacing the brace shouldn't be a problem and that she would tighten the elastic bands a little more and that would mean Deirdre might be uncomfortable for a couple of days and so it wouldn't be necessary to return 5 weeks later to adjust the bands.

Bike riding along the St. Lawrence sounds lovely Something tells me we'll still have snow in March.

Canadian eh

Comment

• We are supposed to go in May, but it is the busiest time of year with dance recitals, dance competitions and choir concerts. If we have to, we will change it to April or June. Not that anyone asked me, but I thought I would chime in!!
                      Melissa

Comment

• Hi Pat

It's been a while since I have spoken to you. My daughter is scheduled for her MRI at childrens during Feb. Vacation. I am a bit nervous about the sedation but we need to make sure there isn't anything else going on in her little spine. Her back looks great!! I was admiring her close to straight back during swim class last week. My mother has been sick so it feels as though I have been at doctors appointments every week (sometimes twice a week). When do you go to Montreal? Our appt is for March 1st, I am SOOO excited!! I hope the weather will be okay!

Celia
                        You must be very proud of your son. One of the ladys that works for me (her husband) is a physical therapist, He mentioned once that there is a link between intellegence and scoliosis. I am going to pursue the topic with him the next chance I get. I will let you know what I have learned.

My daughter is also very bright and creative.
                        Christine
                        from CT, USA
                        6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                        8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                        10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                        10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                        10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                        4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                        8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                        2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                        3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Christine,

We're going to be in Montreal the middle of March because that's our March Break Week for kids in school and I wanted to bring Dylan along so the doctors could check his back... he doesn't have scoliosis but I just want to make sure. Yes, I am very proud of him!

Good luck with the MRI, I'm sure everything will be Okay.

p.s. When I signed on to Yahoo this morning, I saw an ad for the new Eddie Murphy movie and it looks soooooo funny LOL!!!!

Canadian eh

Comment

• how often do we need a new brace?

Hey everyone:

I was wondering how often have you had to get a new brace? How many inches of growth before the old one is no good? Our insurance company is only going to pay for a portion of the one we just got (and this only after going through an appeal), and I don't know if they'd cover another.

Thanks!
                            Caroline
                            From Massachusetts, USA
                            7-yr.-old daughter in Spinecor 9/06-10/07
                            Vertebral stapling surgery done 10/07 at Shriners in Philadelphia

Comment

• Celia

My daughter has a twin brother who goes to Montreal every time and Dr Rivard checks his back.

Gallathea

I assume you are asking about Spinecor. I think a couple replys back on one of the spinecor threads 2 parents were going to get or ask for a new brace. I believe their kid was 18 mos in brace (don't quote me on that) Our insurance payed the max for durable medical and has payed for all the O.V.s as well as x rays. Our insurance has been good to us. Keep plugging away with them there are more and more docs using spinecor and hopefully soon everyone will get the same coverage as with a ridgid brace.

Christine
                              from CT, USA
                              6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                              8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                              10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                              10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                              10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                              4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                              8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                              2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                              3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Arctic conditions in Britain!!!
                                anybody some spare huskees and igloobuilding tips? (How to find a reliable builder?) How do you stop the fireplace melting through the ice? How to stop your tongue freezing to your coffeecup? any good fish and seal recipes?

thanks (BBBRRRRR)
                                Last edited by gerbo; 02-08-2007, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X