spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
    When Nicole went to the chiro for a few months, we didn't let him do adjustments on her because she is still growing and my husband was very uncomfortable with that. We only let him give her electric stim and gentle massage. It was more like physical therapy then chiro treatment.

Melissa
    I don't know a lot about chiro and/or adjustments. What are the issues? Is it dangerous, or might it make the scoliosis worse? It was suggested to me for my son, but I know a lot of the literature suggests that it is a waste of time.

Comment

• Most chiros will tell you that they adjust their own children from the time they are born. I believe them. However, not everyone shares in this philosophy. So who do we believe? That is a difficult decision. My husband's fear is that it would be wrong to have Nicole's spine manipulated while she is still growing. Of course the chiros say this is a healthy thing. The orthopedics usually disagree with that. We don't want to make a mistake and do any harm. I am not saying it would do any harm. It is just difficult when the orthopedics are not in agreement with the chiros.

My husband and I have both been to our chiro when we have had various problems with our backs. He has been excellent and has always helped us. He has also been great with Nicole for deep massage and electric stim. But we just don't feel comfortable having him give her adjustments because we weren't brought up like that.

Melissa
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• question!

i'm trying to plan out my health insurance ins and outs for next year. i have a medical reimbursement account that i can set up pre-tax. i believe that my health insurance will pay for most things, but i want to be on the safe side. okay, long intro, but my question is for those of you who have had to get replacement parts for the spinecor brace from montreal, could you tell me what you got replaced and how much it cost?

thanks so much,
        deshea

p.s. love the signature, celia!
        mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
        spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
        tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
        serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
        now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
        and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
        north of boston, ma

Comment

• Deshea,
          Love your signature, too!
          Why is casting not used more? ! I just don't get it!
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• I think we bought a strap when it was added to her brace. But I don't remember the cost. I have to go look it up. We bought replacements for the thigh bands in N.Y. and I remember it was expensive.

Melissa
            Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Originally posted by desheah
              love the signature, celia!

Thanks Deshea/Cheryl !

I couldn't really write their names across the sky, could I ?
              Last edited by Celia; 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM.

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Most chiros will tell you that they adjust their own children from the time they are born. I believe them. However, not everyone shares in this philosophy. So who do we believe? That is a difficult decision. My husband's fear is that it would be wrong to have Nicole's spine manipulated while she is still growing. Of course the chiros say this is a healthy thing. The orthopedics usually disagree with that. We don't want to make a mistake and do any harm. I am not saying it would do any harm. It is just difficult when the orthopedics are not in agreement with the chiros.

My husband and I have both been to our chiro when we have had various problems with our backs. He has been excellent and has always helped us. He has also been great with Nicole for deep massage and electric stim. But we just don't feel comfortable having him give her adjustments because we weren't brought up like that.

Melissa
                I am aware of chiro's doing good things with adult backs, being able to relieve backpain where others failed. I have also seen a chiro at work with Lisanna's back, and despite her terrific selfconfidence, I knew from what i saw that it was never going to make a difference, also as in one swift movement she was also going to straighten the feet, kneecaps, pelvis, skullbones!!! What a scam!!!! One problem seems to be that chiropracrtic treatment is not standardised and lots of different approaches seem to come under the same banner, which means it is very difficult to compare, or make general statements

Comment

• The Chiros we deal with have never claimed they can straighten a spine. But I have heard that some have made that claim. I agree that they have given relief to so many people in back pain. I really trust and respect the Chiros that my husband and I occasionally go to. When Nicole turned her neck a funny way and was in pain for 3 days, they were the ones who applied the right amount of moist heat, electric stim, and eventually gentle massage. They knew she didn't need an x-ray because she hadn't been in an accident.
                  But Nicole's ped. wanted one. So we wasted the radiation on her and of course it was nothing. This was the same ped. who noticed a small curve in Nicole's spine and didn't order an x-ray or tell us to see an ortho. "Come see me in 6 months." Over-reactive in one situation, under-reatcive in another. Both times, wrong call. Sorry for this rant. Barely awake, don't know why I am going on and on.

Now it's my turn to say,"Do you like my new signature?" The one I have on Spinekids is so much better. Check it out.
                  Melissa

Comment

• some doctors can seem to be so uncaring and so uninterested (and sometimes so wrong) that i can so understand that peole get driven towards alternative practitioners, who can indeed be so more caring, so much more openminded. It is our experience as well, the orthopaedics we have been dealing with don't give a damn about anything and are happy to wait till its time for surgery. The only person we are happy with is mr Mills who fits the spinecor and is ever so meticulous in all he does, and spends lotrs of time on Lisanna when he sees her.

Hope you get some sleep

gerbo

Comment

• Gerbo,

You are funny!! You told me to get some sleep when I just woke up!!
                      Melissa

Comment

When we got our Spinecor through a chiro. in N.Y., exercises were involved and chiro treatments were encouraged. The doctors in Montreal told us to just wear the brace and continue to be active. But no exercises are necessary for her.

Melissa
                        So is it the general impression that the spinecor doctors in Montreal don't prescribe an exercise regime for their patients, or just not for Nicole? Have any other spinecor patients, using other doctors, been given an exercise program by their doctor, or is everyone told to just wear the brace?

Comment

• I asked specifically about the exercises. They told me that the brace itself was 24 hour physical therapy.
                          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Now it's my turn to say,"Do you like my new signature?" The one I have on Spinekids is so much better. Check it out.
                            Melissa,

I *love* your signature on Spinekids! It has the following prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.

Canadian eh
                            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• re spinecor and exercises; the official line is that daily activities and sport done whilst wearing the spinecor is as good as any exercise. So UK and canadian centres will not prescrive exercises.

Saying that, there is a physioprogramme associated with spinecor, which was developped by users on the continent (of europe) where there is more a tradition of exercising for scoliosis. There has been no study comparing outcomes with or without exercises. The exercises are designed to exacerbate "the corrective movement", partially by certain movements (turning, sideshifting and lateral bending) whilst at the same time breathing deeply to enlarge the correction (bit like schroth??)

Comment

Melissa
                                Hi Melissa...

Although I suspect it probably isn't harmful, electrical stimulation was found to have the same outcome as no treatment in a large study some years ago. So, if you're paying extra for it, you might want to reconsider.

Regards,
                                Linda
                                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                                X