spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cyprusmom
    The new ones from 2 weeks ago were read as 50+ by dr. Masso and as... 25-30 by a local orthopedic.....
    Why don't you just measure it yourself? http://skoliose-info-forum.de/skoliosimetrie.php It's so easy, you just need a set square or if it is a digitil one you could even upload it somewhere and we can do it for you.

Comment

• Karickter,
      We had to appeal our insurance company because they only wanted to pay us a couple of hundred dollars for the Spinecor. They finally paid all but $900. We are trying to get them to pay us as in-network, but so far they have declined. We are going to appeal that decision.

We have definitely spent a lot of money on the brace, x-rays, office visits, new bands for the brace, etc. Is this all going to pay off for our daughter in the end? That is the $64,000 question.

Melissa
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Originally posted by karickter
        ... as you know it is very expensive - so my quest now is to find a hospital affiliation or Doctor that uses the spinecor brace - (I've spoken with Dr. D in NY - this is where I will eventually wind up if I can't get my insurance to cover it) credit card debt here I come (they were open to the idea) but said I would have to find an "in plan" facility or doctor that uses it - I am in NJ 25 minutes from NYC - so question does anyone know of a hospital affiliation in the NY/NJ/PA area that uses it?

Hi,

There is a Shriner Hospital in Erie Pennsylvania that prescribes the Spinecor brace and I don't know if you are aware of this, but ALL services (including braces) provided by Shriner's Hospital are free of charge regardless of income level or insurance. If you can get a local Shriner Office to sponsor you, they will also pay for your travel expenses/lodging to get to the Shriner Hospital in Erie.

I read your post on Spinekids and I know exactly how you feel about putting your child in a rigid brace for so many more years - my daughter is 5 years old and I knew I couldn't go that route.

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• I went to the Shriner's website for you and here's the phone number for Erie: 814-875-8700. Toll free number is: 1-800-237-5055. The toll free number is a general number for Shriner's, so maybe call that first to get some of your questions answered. Good luck.

Mary Lou
          Last edited by Snoopy; 04-20-2006, 09:33 AM.
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

• Great posts all. First, I am STILL battling the insurance company. Of my total $6,500 that we've laid out so far, only $1,668 has been covered. Why? They claim we went out of network. My appeal was denied for the same reason. I am now in the process of typing up a civil action against the insurance company because there is no IN-NETWORK provider. If they could have provided one, we would have gone to one. We are in PA, but NYC is only an hour and a half from us... while Shriners is close to six hours.

Had a follow-up visit with Dr. D earlier this week. VERY IMPORTANT that if you see him, make your appointment close to the first one of the day, if not the first... this is the second time that our afternoon appointment got started two hours late because he runs behind. Understandable, but frustrating.

On that visit, my son's curves have shifted. More frustration for me. First, we were NEVER told that it is important that the brace be washed weekly, as it puts the spring back into the bands. "Its in the manual," they said. Who has the time to read that? I write software for a living and don't even read THOSE manuals. Anyway, after washing, it fit GREAT again, and his shoulders are now close to level again. Can't help but feeling that we lost two months in this thing because it lost it's elasticity.

Next, monitor the exercises that your child does... Nick was doing them wrong after a while... not sure where that transition happened, but maybe it was because we were rushed initially. We were only given ONE exercise that first day, which he has done religiously, but was supposed to receive FIVE.

So this trip was filled with frustration, and now I get to battle the insurance company some more. NOT fun. But, the brace does appear to do it's job when instructions are followed.

Comment

• x-rays

At least we have our in-spinecor x-rays done, and althought I´m not a doctor I can see, that now this brace it´s not helping my daughter´s curves. At this point we must make the difficult decision to return to a rigid brace. I can´t say it´s have been a big surprise, because since the last few months i´ve been suspecting that those bands were not doing what they were supposed to do. I allways distrust of everything relating doctors and my daughter´s scoliosis: Too many doctors, too many different theorys, a huge ignorance in relation to the treatment, causes, prognosis...
              We tried spinecor, thinking it was the best option (nearly the only one), but being allways alert, and now with the x-rays in my hand, I see it´s not an option for us.
              I wish you all will have good results with your braces;

Ailea
              2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
              Treatment: Cheneau brace
              2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

• Ailea,

This is really sad news! How much did she progress? What did the doctors say?

BlueCrystalman,

Did your son progress as well?

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Our Spinecor bands were completely shot and had to be replaced. I feel as though we lost time as well because they have been stretched out for at least a month. Don't feel bad about the lack of washing contributing to that. I know someone who is doing amazingly well in her spinecor and her brace is not washed often. I think the bands just give out after a while. I wonder if it would be wise to go more often to see if the bands are still good.
                  I understand everyone's frustration.

We don't know ourselves whether Spinecor is working or will continue to work for Nicole.

I have to send in my appeal to our insurance because they denied our in-network claim.

Melissa
                  Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Karickter,
                    I just sent you a private message about Shriner's before I read that everyone already told you to try Shriner's. The other option for your daughter could be stapling done at the Shriner's in Phila. It's all free and it is usually done on children who still have a lot of growth. Go on Spinekids and read all about it.

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                      Our Spinecor bands were completely shot and had to be replaced. I feel as though we lost time as well because they have been stretched out for at least a month. Don't feel bad about the lack of washing contributing to that. I know someone who is doing amazingly well in her spinecor and her brace is not washed often. I think the bands just give out after a while.
                      Well....when we first got the spinecor, hubby told me NEVER to put the elastic bands in the dryer - he compared it to the elastic bands on underwear that eventually give out with washing/drying. This is why I hand wash and let everything dry "au naturel"

Canadian eh

Comment

• The Spinecor brace is available in Erie. The stapling is done at the Shriner's in Phila.

Dr. Deutchman told me to put the top in the dryer for a few minutes.

Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

• Hi,

From my understanding, you can phone Shriner's Erie directly and do a phone application - that really speeds things up.

Melissa,

One of the assistants in Montreal also told me that I could put the whole thing in the dryer - I just have my own reservations about it. I worry about minute things like what kind of reaction the detergent will have on the elastic bands. Our followup is next month so we'll see.....
                          Last edited by Celia; 04-20-2006, 03:47 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• One of the assistants in Montreal also told me that I could put the whole thing in the dryer - I just have my own reservations about it. I worry about minute things like what kind of reaction the detergent will have on the elastic bands.
                            we have been told by the manufacturer (mr mills) that it is essential that it is washed weekly for the spinecor to keep its elasticity, he was ok us using a tumbledryer, but i haven't dared doing that and tend to dry it over a radiator

gerbo

Comment

• W´ve not seen our spinecor doc yet, but I think there´s nothing to say about it, if the in brace x´rays are worse than the out of brace ones.
                              During this months of treatment the spinecor measurements has been indicated , that my daughter has improved her posture, the rotations, ok that´s true, also her head is now well-balanced with the hips, and it´s a good thing, but it doesn´t hold her mayor curve, and it´s nearly 40º, so a delicate matter.
                              Ailea
                              2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                              Treatment: Cheneau brace
                              2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

• I have never heard of in-brace x-rays being worse. Is it possible that there is a better way to wear the brace. I would definitely put in a call to Dr. Rivard. Your daughter has the same curve degree as mine, except we now have 2 curves with that degree. Is your daughter almost done growing?

Melissa
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X