spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bodysuits

We've been ordering bodysuits from Bodysuits.com now for about a year now, with great success! Rita and Denise are most helpful, and know all about Spinecor and what bodysuits work with the brace. Pat

Comment

• Spinecor in NC?

My daughter was recently diagnosed with scoliosis... she is 13, and her curves are 31/32...

Does anyone know of a doctor in NC that specializes in the Spinecor brace?

Comment

• You can check the spinecorporation.com website for the nearest provider. Several forum members have gone to the Shriners in Erie, PA to get their braces. All treatment, including the brace, is free at Shriners to children under 18.
        Last edited by cherylplinder; 08-31-2006, 08:55 AM.
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• lucas' update

hi everyone,

we're back and not going anywhere for awhile! i'm pooped - to borrow a hokey pokey elmo phrase.

we went for our 1 month follow up to montreal for the spinecor. lucas had an adjustment = tightening of straps and then we were sent for an in brace standing x-ray. he is 18o/14o (1 month ago he was 14o/20o). drs. rivard and coillard were pleased with the results since they were able to get a better handle on the lower curve. we like this brace a lot and decided to fork over the big bucks and go for it. we have our next appointment in 5 mos (Jan).

i just sent an e-mail to dr. sanders, who was lucas' ortho for the past 2 years for casting, telling him of our decision to go with the spinecor versus the tlso. he sent a very short reply back so i'm not sure if he's pissed or if he deals with parents jumping ship all the time. i feel kind of bad, but then again, lucas is our child, and we are the decision makers. i will be sending dr. sanders lucas' most recent x-rays and pictures of him in the brace. i would like to keep him informed and be able to ask his opinion if anything changes in the future. i don't want to burn any bridges!

i think that's it for now . . .

deshea
          mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
          spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
          tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
          serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
          now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
          and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
          north of boston, ma

Comment

• okay, 2 posts in a row from me!

i wanted to ask a question regarding the vest that they put in prior to the x-ray in montreal. i believe that it has metal in it that puts a "dot" on lucas' x-ray. what is that for? measurements?

thanks in advance,
            deshea
            mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
            spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
            tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
            serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
            now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
            and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
            north of boston, ma

Comment

• I just received the bodysuits from bodysuits.com, love the colors but i know they will be too big for alyssa, even though they are xsmall. Has anyone tried altering these? Sewing and alterations are not my thing but I wondered if it was possible to do this w/out making them look awkward. I'm getting really sick of washing the same bodysuit everyday when she takes it off for the two hours each day, i'm usually heaping everything outta the washer and dryer into or around baskets! But, they do have to fit properly now don't they. Does anyone get theirs from anywhere else besides special-clothes and bodysuit.com?

deshea, glad to hear you got some positive results at the one month checkup, alyssa will go for one on the 18th, hope to hear good news like u!
              marta

Comment

• Originally posted by desheah
                okay, 2 posts in a row from me!

i wanted to ask a question regarding the vest that they put in prior to the x-ray in montreal. i believe that it has metal in it that puts a "dot" on lucas' x-ray. what is that for? measurements?

thanks in advance,
                deshea

I always thought it was a lead jacket that protected internal organs from radiation but I was told otherwise at the last appointment. I'm not sure how dr. Sanders feels about you jumping ship, some doctors do take it on a personal level. I would send him chocolates and some flowers or else write his name up in the sky and say THANK YOU THANK YOU for saving my child's life O.k. I'm getting a little carried away..... maybe just a little "thank-you" would suffice.
                Last edited by Celia; 08-31-2006, 10:20 PM.

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• New to site, interesting read. Have 14 yr daughter- been Boston bracing- 4 yrs- curve worsening. Referral to surgeon. now 30 in brace-thoracic.

Looking at Spinecor..... Atlanta is closest for me- 7 hours- I'm in eastern NC. Do those of you who have used this awhile feel it is helping? I take it from the site, most kids prefer it over the hard brace.

Anyone have trouble with getting approval thru insurance?

Also saw where Shriners does it free. Any other info on this and are they as good there as Dr D and Dr L- except for the Canadian Docs.

Actually got an appt in just 1 month when I called- but having difficulty with the $6000 up front. Any suggestions or helpful info would be great!

Neva

Comment

• blasted, $6000 upfront, that's a lot, is that the going rate??

For what it is worth, and you might have seen this already, this is link to the spinecorwebsite http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm , with a list of treatment centres

Comment

• I think we paid $4500, 6k sounds high to me.

Comment

• I think the chiropractors charge more *coughs* because they do some phoney baloney eye exercise testing to "correct" the scoliosis.

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Thanks

I had not found that web- the only one that came up for me was Dr Deutchman. This one was much more informative.

It is the Atlanta tx center listed on the site, as well as the Dr Lamanti. I was alittle concerned when he mentioned the eye thing and vibration something therapy.

I read that some were not as impressed with the Jonathan. But sounds like Dr Sanders is good at it. Any other suggestions. I don't think Pa is much farther than Atlanta for us. If you all recommend those in that area. Any other recommendations for Doc impressed with.

So is everyone mostly impressed with Spinecor and the results so far. Or not. Did insurance pay anything?

Neva

Comment

• So is everyone mostly impressed with Spinecor and the results so far
                            although i cannot answer for "everyone", i think that results vary, some, specially with smaller curves had very good corrections, others, with bigger curves haven't always reacted that well. I (well, my daughter) started with a high 20's degree curve out of brace and currently has a high teens curve in the spinecor. I'd love that to come down more, but would also be fairly happy to keep it this way, considering that spinecor literature suggests that eventually you keep the corrected curve, rather than going back to the original curve, as is the case for hard braces.

My feeling is that with a 14 year old (past her growth spurt??) you have less room for manouvre, might end up with surgery anyway (as the boston is clearly not stopping it), so what have you got to loose?? (besides lots of money)

The spinecor is easier to cope with for the patient than hard bracing, so there is the argument that if you torture you r child anyway (as we all have to do) you might as well do it with the spinecor. However, apparantly proper fitting is paramount, and if living in the USA, I would consider, if only once, to get my child assessed by the drs in montreal. Not sure what the financial implications of that are. (Anybody? What do they charge? For brace, xrays, consultations??) If this initial assesment gives a large correction, you know you could well on to a winner, if it hardly corrects from the beginning; your chances will be less, but hey, at least you tried

gerbo

Comment

• Glad you answered, Gerbo! I'll just say "well said". As usual, I couldn't have said it better! He's such a good mind to have when you're analyzing your options!
                              Hugs!
                              Cheryl
                              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• We just went to Montreal 3 weeks ago. We paid a total of $3534.00 which include 2 x tra body suits. We are also expecting reinbursement of $2434. in out of network insurance. From all of the research we have done the placement of the brace is extremely important to get the best results!!!!

Perhaps if you could get a referal from a orthopedic in network you may be able to fight for in network benefits.
                                Christine
                                from CT, USA
                                6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                                8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                                10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                                10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                                10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                                4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                                8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                                2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                                3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently