No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The booklet says to wash it by hand, but most of us throw it in a pillowcase and it has been holding up fine. I think the brace does tend to shift a little while they wear it.

I never heard of taking a 3-hour break. We were told we could take one 2-hour break in the morning and one 2-hour break in the evening. Or if there was no time for two breaks, we could just take one 2-hour break whenever.
    Nicole almost always takes only one 2-hour break because there is never enough time in between to take two. Now maybe things have changed since we were told that. But it has been working well for us. It is easy to forget to take the break, but I was told it is important that they break every day.

I wish your daughter lots of luck. We are all here for you to answer any Spinecor questions you have.

Our next appt. is on Memorial Day.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• We rarely take breaks, only for swimming or bathing. What kind of correction is your daughter getting with the brace?

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Alabama mom

I wash my daughters brace every 5 days. The whole thing, in a laundry bag, cold, gentle cycle NO FABRIC SOFTENER.

We shoot for 2-2hour breaks but usually only get 1.

We do not experience shifting in the base. I am very careful to make sure the top of the base is 2 fingers below the hip bones and snug. I am worried to much movement will cause chafting.

I think you will find as others have that the Spincor brace is very easily worn and it becomes almost normal quickly.

I am also curious what your daughters initial correction was.

Best wishes!!!!

Christine
        from CT, USA
        6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
        8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
        10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
        10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
        10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
        4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
        8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
        2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
        3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Hello everyone, and thanks for the replies. My daughter's curves were 23 and 24 before the brace, and then 19 and 19 in the brace. We were hoping for more, especially after reading the corrections alot of your kids got. But I am trying to be optimistic, and I only hope that it keeps it from getting much worse. My daughter is adjusting pretty well so far, and I am so happy for that. Thanks for the tips on washing it, and the answers on the break times. I will say, that Dr. Rivard definately said that we could do (2) 2 hour breaks, or (1) 3 hour break, and the (1) 1 hour break. I think I will call to see if there are any other options. I will let you guys know.
          Bye. Nancy

Comment

• Hi Nancy

19 is a good place to be at. If you can keep it there or lower you are golden!
            from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Nancy,

That is a nice low number. The best we can hope for is for Nicole to be in her 30's for the rest of her life. Nicole's first ten years of her life were spent with a straight spine. But now her only options are to live the rest of her life with these big curves or to have spinal fusion. Unless of course something better comes along down the road.

I wish your daughter much success with the Spinecor.
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Thanks for the encouragement Christine and Melissa, and everyone on this board. It is such a blessing to have the support of others, who know what you are going through. Thanks.

Nancy

Comment

• Nancy,

I think any number under 20 is a good place to be! Hopefully with time there will be more correction and I certainly wouldn't rule that out. *two big thumbs up!!!*

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Hi everyone:

We're flying up to Montreal on Wed. for our daughter's 6-month follow-up (wish us luck!) and I was wondering if the Spincecor sets off any security beeps. Has anyone tried going through security with it on?

Thanks!
                    Caroline
                    From Massachusetts, USA
                    7-yr.-old daughter in Spinecor 9/06-10/07
                    Vertebral stapling surgery done 10/07 at Shriners in Philadelphia

Comment

• Hi Caroline
                      I wish for your family to have a great appointment and have the same exhilerating feeling that we had on our trip home from our last appt. !!!!!!

Although we have not flown yet I do have a prescription written by Dr. Rivard indicating that she is wearing a brace made with metal parts. Check your paper work you may also have one. I think it is routine that you get one if you live out of the country.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Christine
                      from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• To everyone;

The type of conversation that is going on right now, on this thread, is how it should be. Not all the negative bickering.

I appoligize for the run-on sentence
                        from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Caroline,

Good luck. Have a great trip. Where do you live, again? I think we should all put the cities or states where we live as a reminder. I keep getting everyone mixed up now that we are becoming such a big Spinecor group.
                          Melissa

Comment

• My husband has a new insurance provider at his work and I was unsure they would pay for the brace given that it's a relatively new thing and guess what?????!!! They came through with the money!!!!! YAHOOOOOOO!!! My husband who is very tight with the purse strings can sleep easier at night....

Canadian eh

Comment

• That's great news!!!
                              Melissa

Comment

• Caroline,
                                Good luck to your family on your upcoming appointment. We too, received a prescrition from Dr Rivard explaining that our daughter was wearing the brace, and that it had metal on the pelvic base.
                                Celia, thanks for the encouragement. We will be hoping and praying that it does go down more. But we will be happy to stay at this point, too.

Nancy

Comment

Working...
                                X