No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I doubt that they have any free bodysuits - I did not get a chance to talk to my husband at length (roaming charges ) - he said that he'll call me after they cross the border

Yes, they do an X-ray after the adjustment. We found it out on Tuesday - my husband tried to get an X-ray at least done, so Dr. Rivard would've looked at it and tell us whether we should come at all, but the technician in the radiology department told my husband that it would not make sense, since Dr. Rivard always sends people for the X-ray after the adjustment. She was even nice enough to go with my husband back where he paid for the X-ray and help him get his money back
    from Boston, MA, USA

9 y.o. daughter
    07/08 - diagnosed with L23
    10/08 - wait and see: L25
    11/08 - Spinecor: L15
    01/09 - Spinecor: L15
    06/09 - Spinecor: L14
    11/09 - Spinecor: L14
    04/10 (Out-of-brace): L30-T30
    08/10 - out of Spinecor
    01/11 (Out-of-brace): L42-T30
    02/11 - Rigo-Cheneau and Schroth

Comment

• Glad to hear the news was good, Bellas Mom and that the appointment went well.

That's always such a relief!
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• I Quit

I have a personal story to share. I guess it’s OK because I am anonymous. It is related to the scoliosis bracing but not in the way one might think. You folks have been great in helping me understand this whole scoliosis issue. This forum has been my own private thing. My family knows I tend to obsess over stuff, they tolerate me. I figure I should spend at least as much time trying to understand my daughters scoliosis as I spent trying to figure out the best plasma TV to buy - and I spent a lot of time pondering that. The internet is a great resource and you folks have been fantastic.

Anyway, my dear 14 year old daughter left a letter for me on top of my computer last night. She got the SpineCor brace about 2 weeks ago. I am not going to share the letter but I want to share the postscript on the bottom – but you’ll have to keep reading to see it.

Let me start off by telling you a bit about this special girl. She is beautiful inside and out, she takes after her mother, a great person in her own right. My daughter is a very giving person as evidenced by the couple of afternoons she spends each week volunteering at the local food pantry. But, not only does she have a heart of gold, she is incredibly smart; when she was in 7th grade she was accepted into a very elite gifted math program at our local university based on her PSAT scores. (She decided not to go because, as she said, “Daddy, I may be good at math, but I don’t particularly enjoy it”). She has a great circle of friends and a little brother she tolerates pretty well. All around, she is a wonderful girl and her mother and I are very proud of her. I can guarantee you that this young lady will do more than her part to make the world a better place. I can hardly wait to see.

Which bring me to the letter. It was a plea for me to stop smoking. It didn’t mention scoliosis, it didn’t mention her bracing or any of the things she has been going through these last couple months. It didn’t mention any discomfort she is feeling or her frustration at not being able to wear the clothes she likes. It was a heartfelt plea for me to take care of myself so that I would stick around to share all the promises the future holds. She wants me to be here to share in the joy of graduations, wedding, births (<cough>, in that order I hope). Her timing was impeccable. I am reading this letter thinking, oh my god, what an idiot I am. Here I am asking my daughter to wear a brace to help correct her spine in the hopes that her future health will benefit, and I am still sitting here smoking. What a terrible example I’m setting. Could quitting smoking be harder than getting used to wearing a brace? What a hypocrite I am. Wow, it seems so clear now what I have to do.

Anyway, my eyes tearing up I turn the letter over and she ends it …….

“I love you with all my heart daddy”

Then, the postscript….

"PS: Thank you for being such a “concerned dad” the past few months. I really appreciate it.
        (And I go on all the same websites you do.)"

So much for being anonymous, somebody found me out.
        The cigarettes are in the trash.

Comment

• Concerned Dad,

My eyes are tearing up....what a special girl you have there! Good luck to you in quitting smoking. It won't be easy- but it sounds like you have a great motivator. (and a lesson to all of us who think we're anonymous on the internet! Fortunately this is one where it doesn't matter that you have been discovered)

Also, in answer to your earlier question, Dr. Coillard does have xrays taken AFTER the brace has been adjusted.

Bellas Mom, I'm glad to hear her results were good and I hope they had an "easy" uneventful trip back. I also hope future visits are smoother (and have continued good results) .They must be EXHAUSTED from the 2 trips.

Christine, based on what Bellas mom says, I wonder if she didn't leave after all (or didn't leave yet anyway) and that her name isn't Sue Ann. I have to say, if it is her, I am surprised both about the messup with Bellas appointment and the attitude afterwards - maybe she's already checked out in her mind.
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Concerned Dad,

You and your wife are truly blessed to have such a special and smart daughter (good advice). I love that she knows that it's you writing the posts!

She will remember forever how much time you spent trying your best to do what's "right" for her. She is truly fortunate to have parents who love her so much.
            CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
            Aug 08 - curve now 22*
            Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
            March 09 - in brace 14*
            Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
            Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
            June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
            Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
            April 11 T 45*, L 31*
            July 11 T 51*, L 37*
            MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

• Concerned Dad, this was such a sweet gesture from your very special daughter!
              from Boston, MA, USA

9 y.o. daughter
              08/10 - out of Spinecor
              02/11 - Rigo-Cheneau and Schroth

Comment

• It's obvious you're a good Daddy doing a great job parenting, Concerned Dad.

Good luck with the quitting.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
                  I figure I should spend at least as much time trying to understand my daughters scoliosis as I spent trying to figure out the best plasma TV to buy - and I spent a lot of time pondering that.
                  Ahh, how true. I think that line would be an eye-opener for a lot of dads

But you are clearly not just "any" dad - and to reiterate what everyone else said, you clearly have a VERY special young lady there. I'm sure it's a reflection on you and your wife.

Good luck quitting smoking. I'm sure it won't be easy but my money says that with the motivation you've been given, you'll succeed!
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Immi's 18 month review yesterday.

X-ray (in brace) - 24 degrees.

We are over the moon! Not completely out of the woods yet, but so much better that we could have hoped for 2 years ago...

I urge every parent with a child going through this to investigate Spinecor - without this forum (leading us to Spinecor) Immi would either be in a rigid brace 23/7 or on the surgery list - this is the opinion of her consultant spinal surgeon.
                    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Wonderful news!

Hey that's extremely encouraging!

It certainly seems like the brace is redirecting the growth to go against the curve.

I hope she is a success story.

sharon
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Laura,

Congratulations!! That is wonderful news!! Quite a drop from where you started!! Is Immy wearing the brace 20 hours a day now? I think I remember she was taking a little extra time for dance a while back (forgive me if I'm confused, it's happening often lately ) That is wonderful if she is still reducing the curve and having longer breaks!!
                        Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                        28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                        Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                        17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                        Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                        3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                        11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• Thank you Sharon, I feel (at the moment at least) very fortunate with the way things have gone. Had we looked into her curve earlier (it has definately been around since she was 7), who knows what course of treatment we would have followed? I would have been very interested in VBS, if it was available in the UK; her 1st consultant would have gone down the growth rods route; we were also interested in the Providence.

Spinecor gets a bad press - I really don't understand why. Immi's consultant is one of only a handful in the UK that prescribes Spinecor. He describes himself as a sceptic but is of the opinion that there is no better option; at least spinecor does no harm and is reasonably easy to wear - why not give it a go? He explained (again) the theory of the pressure on the growth plates encouraging the slow growing side to speed up. He said that it is not all understood, even used the word 'voodoo' (has he been talking to you??)

The handful of consultants all use Mr Mills or one of his personally trained colleagues to fit the brace and they are collecting the data with a view to having some results in about 2011. The consultants have no vested interest in the brace - they want to know, one way or the other, how effective this brace is.

Immi is still growing steadily - no peak velocity growth seen yet - perhaps it is her growth pattern that is enabling the brace to be more effective? If she continues to grow slowly and never has a true 'spurt', who knows??

That's the problem - no-one knows!

But we'll keep trying and hoping. I can't describe the joy I feel when I compare her 38 x-ray with the 24. One day I might find out how to post them here

Cheryl's Rachel is having her surgery on Monday - I know Cheryl would appreciate your prayers.

Laura x
                          UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                          10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.

Comment

• Michelle, Hi!

Yes, she's pretty good but we don't let it rule her life. She takes it off for between 2 and 5 hours per day - normally all in one go, and closer to 2 than 5. Her consultant was pretty relaxed about this and said, "whatever works for you."

Comment

• Laura, That's great! A slow and steady trend in the right direction! IT's interesting because my understanding is that VBS works on the same concept (but different execution)...pressure on the growth plates.

Anyway, I'm very very happy to hear your news. Thanks for posting it!
                              (particularly because we take Katie in for a checkup in a month and I've started my period of excessive worry-particularly because I got a glimpse a couple weeks ago where her curve seemed more pronounced. so it's great to hear good news)
                              daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                              -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                              -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                              -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Hurray! This is great news! I wish you to keep going in the same direction

So happy for you!
                                from Boston, MA, USA

9 y.o. daughter
                                08/10 - out of Spinecor