spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boyshorts

I don't know if anyone can help us, but my daughter has had her brace for only a week now. We have been using bodysuits, but her legs have gotten so uncomfortable (even with moleskin on the straps) that I have bought her boyshort underpants. For those of you who use them, does the entire brace have to come off when your child uses the bathroom? I am thinking that it will be a much more comfortable (and cheaper) alternative, but am afriad it may be too much to endure if the brace has to be entirely removed several times a day. Thank you.
    Amy
    Mother to Olivia age 12. Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis November 2006. Currently measured at 24/25 out of brace, 16/18 in brace. Is being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard in Montreal. Has been in Spincecor since 8/15/07. We live in rural upstate NY - thankfully quite close to Montreal.

Comment

• Rachel pulls the center of the crotch to the side for urination like you would in a swim suit. She does not take the whole brace off.She also tucks the crotch straps in the back of her brace or snaps them to an extra snap. She takes the whole thing off for a bowel movement.
      Hope that helps.
      She wears boy short underwear.
      Last edited by cherylplinder; 08-22-2007, 01:04 AM.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Poor Olivia, it's quite distressing at first isn't it. But so much better than the alternative....

Imogen has been lucky as she's had very little discomfort and we don't even use moleskin. The small amount of rubbing that she had (at about a week in) we were told to try to live through as the skin would toughen up. It did & she has no sore bit at all now.

I don't know if this helps but stick with it, it will get better!

Laura x
        UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
        10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
        Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Hey All,

I`m updating from Ste Justine in Montreal and Deirdre`s curve is stable. She went up 1 degree to 2 degrees!!! Does this mean I`ll have to change my signature from 1 to 2 ??????! Anyway....the clinic was very busy with lots of kids waiting for adjustments etc. We`re staying in Montreal until Sunday and plan to enjoy the sights before the kids return back to school in a couple of weeks. Hope everyone is well! I haven`t had a chance to read up on all the posts yet. I can`t wait to hear about Gerbo`s experiences with the osteopath. Cheryl, are you planning something similar for Rachel??? I love you guys!

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• AWESOME Celia!!
            from CT, USA
            6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
            8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
            10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
            10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
            10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
            4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
            8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
            2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
            3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• celia,

that's great! congratulations and have fun in montreal!

deshea
              mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
              spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
              tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
              serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
              now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
              and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
              north of boston, ma

Comment

• keep on enjoying yourself, don't forget to smile a lot.

gerbo

Comment

• Celebrating with you! I'll toast you tonight!

Gerbo,

Do you have any input about the osteopath?
                  God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Celia, so pleased everything went well. Have a great 2nd holiday!
                    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Celia,

I am very happy for your family. Please read about our pre-op experience today in the surgery thread.
                      Melissa
                      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Melissa, I've read the pre-op thread for Nicole and I can't believe it's so soon. Is Nicole still wearing the brace? Her curve is really sky rocketing. I hope it doesn't get too far above 60 degrees before they do the surgery.

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• She is not wearing the brace. I agree that her curve is progressing quickly. That is why I can't wait to have this done. But they still believe she is at a 0 or maybe a 1 risser. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have to wait any longer than a few months. I feel fortunate that I got her on the schedule when I did.
                          Melissa
                          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Hey Melissa,

There was something about how rotation on curves above 60 degrees could pose problems later in life - I can't remember if it could result in progression years after surgery. The article was written quite a few years ago and new surgical techniques have probably obliterated this problem but it's something you should definitely ask dr. Dormans. I'm not saying this to worry you but I think it's really important to keep the curve low.

Canadian eh

Comment

• following our last disappointing visit to mr mills we had a great but all too short holiday. fries with peanutbuttersauce (or satesauce) were delicious as ever. (celia; if you like fries and you like satesauce, you will love fries with satesauce, if you never have had it, very easy to make, i can give you recipe)

anyway; back to reality and wednesday we'll go back for a further review following some advice mr mills received from canada about alternative ways of using straps; whether it will be any better?? very, very nervous about it. Further xrays will be made so we'll know if progression is ongoing.

I know that if there is any significant worsening, our only remaining non-surgical option to consider/ try would be a german made cheneau brace, but how i would sell that to l, i don't know...... (don't know if i could, she would be so, so upset.....)

gerbo
                              Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• I received an encouraging call from Dr. Coillard yesterday. I emailed them with some questions about Rachel, and she called me to talk. I wanted to know if I should start to look for a surgeon as Rachel's curve had increased at our last visit. I wanted to know if her out of brace measurements would be the same as in brace. I wanted to know if her increase in the lumbar curve would lead to a longer fusion.
                                She said that althought the curve had increased and the out of brace x-rays would not neccessarily be the same as in brace, Rachel was a long way from needing surgery and there was no need at this time to pursue an orthopedic to follow her in the US. She also reassured me that the increase in lumbar curve was compensatory and would not lead to a longer fusion, if Rachel progressed to surgery.
                                She offered to see her again as soon as I would like to evaluate her, as she is growing rapidly at present.
                                Once again, I am grateful for physicians that go above and beyond the call of duty.
                                With a 38 degree curve at risser 0 in January of 2006, and 5 to 7 inches of growth left, Rachel would already have progressed to surgery at her current 4 or 5 inches that she has grown in the past year and a half. She has progressed some since her last visit, but she is about half way through the growth left and is very balanced and happy. At 26/26 she is still less than 38/27. It is a lot to be grateful for.
                                Caring physicians that compassionately call and answer all your questions with concern are amazing. I can't believe how blessed I am.
                                And with all my great friends, I am always reminded that if she progresses to surgery, there are a lot of great surgeons out there and surgery can lead to wonderful outcomes! At present, we are using the most comfortable, effective brace for her curve.
                                That is certainly the best I can do.
                                Last edited by cherylplinder; 08-28-2007, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X