spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa,

I know its easier said than done but try not to worry ~ I know Nicole will be just fine and back on stage dancing before you know it.

I remember this gal back in the 7th grade so we're talking 20+ yrs ago who had very agressive scoliosis so she was fused the summer between our 7th and 8th grade yr she at that time was a competetive gymnast. Anyway by the time we got to high school she joined the cheer squad and continued on he squad all four yrs of high school ~ she was out there tumbling doing backflips, frontlips, cartwheels her fusion did not seem to limit her one bit. And back then she had been told she would no longer be able to do any gymnastics at all, this only made her more determined and she worked hard and it all paid off for her. This was 20+ yrs ago technology and surgical procedures have only gotten better since then, so I see no reason why Nicole wouldn't be able to continue what she's doing now after she is fully healed. I realize that some flexibility may be comprimised but she'll adjust to whatever limitations she has if any and find another way to do the same things she's been doing. Oh and my girlfriend is now the proud mommy of 3 children 1 boy and a set of twin girls.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Hugs ~ Amanda
    Last edited by amandap; 05-29-2007, 04:31 PM.
    Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
    Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
    Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
    Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
    Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
    26 Degree Post Op Curve
    Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
    Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
    YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

• Mary Lou,

I am so happy I met your daughter and Pat's daughter and saw how great they are doing. I also remember Pat saying that her daughter is doing some amazing diving.

Amanda,

It is amazing to think of what some of these girls continue to do after their surgery. I am going to be very positive. Believe me, dance is not the priority for me, but it's what is on Nicole's mind. I can't wait for our appt next week. But I am so afraid to hear the degrees. I am so thankful for a surgery that will help Nicole. That is what I am trying to focus on.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa, I know of other girls who continued to take ballet after the surgery, and the healing time. My daughter never did take ballet, but she has always danced ALOT. Music video style or hip hop, is what I would call it, kind of like a Christina Aguilera or Shakira video. And, she's really good at it. It doesn't look stiff at all... and she had to have a large portion of her spine fused. I know that your daughter will be able to dance after surgery too. The doctors will let you know what to expect. And you will be surprised at how your daughter's desire will even surpass those expectations.
        Please let me know if I can do anything for you.
        Nancy.

Comment

• Thanks, Nancy, that is good to know. These girls are so amazing with what they can do after surgery. Just wondering if bone is usually taken from the hip?
          Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa, yes, it usually is taken from the hip. That is what they did with my daughter. It may be worth your while to ask about the other option, I believe it can also be taken from the rib. I say so, because my daugter did complain about that place being sore afterwards, and I always thought that maybe because the rib is not used as much as the hip/butt area, it might have been better. You should ask.
            They also mentioned using the bone bank. But we thought it would be better to use her own bone. Our doctor thought so too.
            Nancy.

Comment

• I will be sure to ask these questions at the appt.

Pat, your mailbox is full. What did Jaime end up doing for her surgery?
              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,

I'm not Pat, but my Jamie had bone taken from her back. Her surgeon did what is called Smith-Peterson osteotomy (sp?), so she didn't have to have bone taken from her hip or her rib.

Do you have your list of questions started for Tuesday? I'd be sure to ask how far they plan to fuse, for sure. If you want other suggestions on what to ask, let me know. Be sure to list your questions in the order of importance just in case you don't get enough time to ask all of your quesitons.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

• Hi Melissa, I just replied to your e-mail but seeing your comments on dancing I thought I should tell you about Anastasia who, as you know not only looks like your Nicole but had been dancing and tap-dancing for long time as well. Up to her surgery ofcourse. She did ask Dr. Masso if and when she could start dancing and really, he gave her the green light for ballet once the year is up....(this is what she asked for.)
                  As I am oficially an ex-spinecor mom I haven't been posting since my daughters surgery last August, (didn't think I should turn this into a post-surgery thread.) but I do check on the thread every few days and see how you are all doing.
                  It's exactly a year ago when my daughters curves had the same crazy mind of their own after bracing in the spinecor, just like Nicoles. I know how you feel Melissa, but just remember the smile my daughter had on her face, (although looked very pale.)...when we met you just 3-4 weeks? after her surgery. It gets better every day and now when I see her I wonder if it really happened and if she really has those implants....She also has no shame about her scar and all her friends and teachers take care of her....not that she needs any axtra attention any more....
                  Do prepare a list of questions for your appointment and do ask me anything you want in an e-mail.
                  I also have no regrets about the path that we chose. I am glad she was in the spinecor instead of a hard brace and her body stayed active and strong.

I think of all of you and your children and wish you the best,
                  Pola

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                    I will be sure to ask these questions at the appt.

Pat, your mailbox is full. What did Jaime end up doing for her surgery?
                    Hi Melissa, Jamie, as all the kids at our hospital, use donor bone/cadaver bone. Thanks Melissa, I just cleaned out my mailbox. pat

Comment

• Melissa,

I'm still in complete shock that something like this happened so quickly! I honestly wasn't expecting such bad news. How much did Nicole grow during the last 3 months???? She's had her period for a year and she's still a risser 0? Have you looked up minimally invasive spine surgery?? I don't know too much about it, but it's something to ask the doctors in Philly. How are you coping?

Pola,

It's so great to hear from you again!!!! It's nice to know life goes on after the dreaded surgery

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• hi pola, nice to see you around.

so, what about the cappucino on the patio in the sunshine.....(or something on those lines....)

melissa, you are daily in my thoughts, if positive vibes travel transatlantic, you should have received many......

Comment

• Hi everyone,

I live in England. My daughter is 9 and has a 31* curve. I have been reading this forum for about a month but it's taken me until now to get activated. This has been very frustrating as I feel I know you all really well and have wanted to thank you for helping me through this awful period. I have met Melissa through a different forum and Gerbo through yet another.

Anyway just wanted to finally say "Hi" and thanks for your support (even though you had no idea that you were providing it!)

Laura
                          UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                          10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                          Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Pola,

I agree that it is great to hear from you. I think about you and Anastasia often and am so thrilled that all is well.

Celia,

It has been 5 months and she only grew about a third of an inch. Maybe she really grew more but didn't grow straight? Dr. Rivard said the risser and the other kind of maturity don't always correlate. I will definitly ask the doctors in Phila about the various types of surgeries. I can't stop thinking about Dr Rivard's face when he told us the news. He was distraught. Nicole keeps saying that she misses wearing her brace and she misses Dr. Rivard. Anyone who goes to Dr. Rivard is free to talk to him about us. No privacy on this end.

Gerbo,

I do feel everyone's good thoughts and concerns. I am calm right now. I really feel so much better than 2 years ago partly because I don't feel alone in this.

Nicole is handling this so much better this year, as well. We are actually making jokes about it at times. Does anyone watch Seinfeld? She actually said the surgeons would probably be eating Junior Mints while doing her surgery and then "Ooops, one fell in." Sorry if you don't get this reference. But it shows how well she is handling it. Nicole keeps asking me specific questions about the surgery. I keep telling her that they know what they are doing and she just has to show up. So she joked that they will probably wake her up half way through to ask questions. "So, wait, Nicole, do I put this thing here?" for example!!!! I am already trying to figure out how I can get Idina Menzel (Her fave Broadway star from Rent) to visit her. Her voice teacher knows many people on Broadway. But we will see.

Next week she has her last 3 recitals. I will enjoy them fully as she may not be in next year's. I am even forcing big brother and big sister to attend this year. I am also going to see if the director will say something about her at one of them. This is her 10th recital year there.
                            Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa,

WOW~10 Yrs is amazing. If you can do a short video clip please share I'd love to see her dance.

Are you taking Nicole to see Dr. D'Andrea or Dr. Betz? When's her appointment?

I think it was Celia who mentioned the Minimallly Invasive procedure and here is a helpful link; there is also an area with patient stories of other young ladies who've had this done.
                              http://www.iscoliosis.com/treatment-...minimally.html

Amanda
                              Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                              Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                              Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                              Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                              Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                              26 Degree Post Op Curve
                              Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                              Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                              YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

• Thanks, Amanda and Celia, I will check out that link. She is going to see Dr. Sandami. I made no requests. I just wanted her seen and x-rayed right away.

Just read the link and of course, her type of curve, thorasic-lumbar is not done this way.
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X