spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa,

When I read your post, I broke down and started crying. I'm completely in shock and saddened by this news! I wish there were a way to turn back the clock to a different time and anticipate this and act accordingly however this only happens in fairytales. Give Nicole a big hug from me and also a big hug from me to you.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Thanks, Celia. I really don't know if there was anything I could have done differently. I just want to get her x-rayed as soon as possible so I know what we are dealing with. I can't believe she was stable for as long as she was and how quickly her curve progressed. When you are at this point like I am, you start to look at surgery in a different way. I just want this curve stopped.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• melissa, melissa, so sorry to hear this, you must feel so utterly devastated and disappointed Ofcourse you did make an as good a choice as you could at the time, at least her life has been "bearable" the last few years, not being stuck in one of those hardbraces and being able to move and dance.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised that at some stage you are not going to feel this as a relief, at least there is no ambivalence and insecurity and not knowing what is going to happen, which usually caused most of the anxiety in situations like this.

At least your and Nicole's paths are a bit clearer now, and really that path and its destination are not such a bad one. Many people have gone there and arrived safely and happily somewhere where scoliosis is just a scar on the back and some restrictions in movement but at least no more bracing, no more feeling insecure, no more being worried about every next appointment, no more fear about the future, so come on girl, head up and get things sorted!!

gerbo

Comment

• Thanks, Gerbo.

We will make the best of what has been dealt to us. I just made her appt at Shriner's. It is next Tuesday.

Thank you for all of your support. I will get through this with the help of all of you.
          Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Oh Melissa, I'm so sorry. I, too, am hoping for success with Spinecor, but as a parent of a daughter who's almost three years out from spinal fusion surgery, I know it will have a wonderful outcome for Nicole. I agree with everyone else, you're going into surgery with such a strong back; my daughter recovered from surgery quickly; she swam competitively right up to her surgery date. You're doing everything you can for Nicole, that's what counts. Pat

Comment

• Melissa,

I’m so sorry to hear that Nicole is going to need surgery but Gerbo said it best at least now Nicole’s path is a bit more clear.

I know this is not what you wanted for Nicole but on a positive note she will be in the best care possible. Dr. Betz’s team is amazing and they will take very good care of Nicole and a yr from now this will all be just a memory and she’ll have a perfectly straight spine.

Please know I am here for you and will continue to pray for Nicole.

Hugs ~ Amanda
              Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
              Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
              Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
              Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
              Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
              26 Degree Post Op Curve
              Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
              Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
              YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

• Melissa, I am so sorry to hear about Nicole's appointment. I know how devastating and shocking it is to hear that your child must undergo surgery. When we were told this, 3 years ago, I couldn't eat for a week.
                But, we got through it all, and my daughter is doing GREAT! We have her annual checkup to go to next week, and I am not sure, but I think it will be her last one. She does have a scar, but she is so cool, that she wears halters and strapless tops all of the time....she is not ashamed of it. She moves around very well. She can touch her toes. She did have to learn to do some things differently, like tying her shoes, and picking things up off of the floor (she bends at the knees). But, all in all, I am amazed at how well she has done.
                The surgery is scary, but it is a very successful one, in that the kids get what they need from it. My daughter's curves were 60 and 52 when we FIRST found out that she even had scoliosis, so we really never even had an opportunity to try bracing or anything. I always felt SO guilty for that. That is why I am trying this brace on my youngest daughter now. I am glad that you had the chance to try to help your daughter avoid the surgery. As a mom, it means alot to know that you did everything you could, even though she may still need it.
                You WILL be strong for her, and for the rest of your family. I was, and I never really knew that I could be. And I am still stronger, because of it.
                Melissa, all of you have been a great help to me, and I have appreciated it so much. I am here for you if you have any surgery questions, or anything I can do to help. Please let me know. God bless you and your daughter, and us all.
                Nancy.

Comment

• Melissa,
                  I’m so sorry to hear that..... But, as others had said, this forum is full of teens who had surgery done and are doing wonderful. We, as parents, do everything we can, but sometimes there’s nothing you can do to avoid surgery; Sometimes life is like that, and we must be strong for our Childs..
                  I’ll pray for you. Big hugs from afar
                  2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                  Treatment: Cheneau brace
                  2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

• Thank you all for your kind words and support. It means more to me than you probably realize. Hearing the stories of teens and Parents who have gone through the surgery is really what has helped me get through the day. Two years ago I couldn't have been this strong and this calm. I have my moments, but I know they will take good care of Nicole at Shriner's.

Nicole is handling this better than expected. Of course, we still have to get the x-rays done and talk about surgery dates, but I want this done as soon as possible.

Nancy, with such aggressive curves in their 60's, I doubt that anything could have helped your daughter. I see now that Nicole would have probably ended up at this point even if I had known earlier. Her curve is stubborn with a mind of its own.

Nicole is very concerned about dance. Her passion is tap, but she does ballet and jazz as well. Is there anything she will not be able to do after surgery? I don't mean right after, but after restrictions are lifted. I guess it depends on how much is fused.
                    Melissa

Comment

• well, from my limited knowledge of dance; it all depends on what is fused etc, but tap should be a doddle, that's all feet work with a fairly straight back, isn't it. Couldn't see any reason why ballet and jazz shouldn't work neither, though there could be some restriction in movement I'd guess.

Like with many illnesses; the children tend to be much more matter of fact and cope so much better than the parents who tend to worry much more. Lets all try to learn from our children....

Take care

Comment

• Interesting.....there was one case I read about and the patient was a cheerleader for her school and flexibility was a major concern. What the doctor did was fuse only a few vertebrae in the centre, this of course depends on the type of curvature and whether it's feasible. I'll try to find the website. There is also a doctor in California, I can't remember his name and he does a different type of spinal fusion and the incisions are very very small.

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Melissa
                          I don't know what to say. You are a strong woman and a wealth of knowlege, I know you and Nicole will come out of this stronger than before.
                          from CT, USA
                          6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                          8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                          10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                          10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                          10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                          4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                          8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                          2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                          3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                            I don't mean right after, but after restrictions are lifted. I guess it depends on how much is fused.
                            Melissa,

Once the restrictions are lifted, there are VERY few - if any - limitations on these kids. I've heard of things like trampolines and such being off limits - but that's about it. Dancing (especially tap and ballet) should be absolutely fine for her to do once the restrictions are lifted.

Once again, I am here for you....always.

Maria
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Thanks, everyone.

I don't really mean what is she allowed to do. More like, what will she be able to do. If the spine is fused, depending on where it is fused, it will change the way her spine moves when she does ballet and jazz, for example. I am just glad that tap is her passion and that doesn't require as much body flexibility as the other types of dances. I am also glad that she is not the amazing dancer of the studio, winning first place titles and such at the competitions. That would just break my heart if she were on that level and then never got back to it again. I just want her to go back to her old life as much as possible. Of course, we have lots of other hurdles to get through before we need to worry about dance!!!

Meanwhile Nicole is already saying how much she loved Dr. Rivard and how much she is going to miss going there. I feel the same way. I can't believe we don't get to go there anymore. I really did love the experience for many reasons.
                              Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa,

I'm sorry to hear Nicole needs surgery. Even though you've been worrying/thinking surgery was in her future, it still really hurts to actually hear the words. On the positive side, you've met the two Jamies in person and you know how great they are doing. Nicole will be the same. Stay strong.

Mary Lou
                                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
                                X