September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
    Some doctors are not in touch with the real world. She could have saved you so much heartache but chose not to.
    I know but for what ever reason she did not want to
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Hi Melissa,

I am so sorry for this, that is absolute crap, and I would be furious! I think some of this may have to do with payment...if you make an office visit she can bill for it, vs speaking over the phone is free. How shitty is that, I know, but it's sadly true in some cases.

It is possible sometimes to sign a release of information and get the radiologist's report quickly from the MRI facility. Depends how cooperative the facility is. When my daughter had her MRI, I called the next day and asked to sign a release and receive a copy of the MRI on disc along with the printed report. I told them I needed it urgently for an upcoming doctor's appointment out of state, which was not a complete lie, just a little distortion of the truth. I walked away with report in hand and it saved me countless days of worry. Something to keep in mind anyway....

Try to stay peaceful over the weekend.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Unbelievable, Melissa. When you have a chance (like after you've gotten the information you need), I hope you will tell her what you think of her policy. When she said earliest appointment, did she mean on Monday, or could it be two weeks from now? I wonder why she even bothered to call you. I agree that this sounds like a financial policy. Ugh.

I hope you can put it out of your mind. Maybe your hubby can get the radiologist's report while you are in surgery, and you can (hopefully!!) wake up to good news!

Best,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Some doctors are not in touch with the real world. She could have saved you so much heartache but chose not to.
          I totally agree. She missed the lecture on med school on compassion. If roles were reversed, what would she do? So sorry about this and your frustration.
          Susan.
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• "pick your priority and stick with it" That is unbelievably uncaring and cruel. Isn't it nice to be able to fire her and find another Doctor with compassion?
            Good thoughts and prayers coming you way.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
              "pick your priority and stick with it" That is unbelievably uncaring and cruel. Isn't it nice to be able to fire her and find another Doctor with compassion?
              Good thoughts and prayers coming you way.
              Sally
              I can't wait to tell her what I think of her.I am having a good weekend ,trying not to think of everything in my life

Thanks for the prayers.
              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                Hi Melissa,

I am so sorry for this, that is absolute crap, and I would be furious! I think some of this may have to do with payment...if you make an office visit she can bill for it, vs speaking over the phone is free. How shitty is that, I know, but it's sadly true in some cases.

It is possible sometimes to sign a release of information and get the radiologist's report quickly from the MRI facility. Depends how cooperative the facility is. When my daughter had her MRI, I called the next day and asked to sign a release and receive a copy of the MRI on disc along with the printed report. I told them I needed it urgently for an upcoming doctor's appointment out of state, which was not a complete lie, just a little distortion of the truth. I walked away with report in hand and it saved me countless days of worry. Something to keep in mind anyway....

Try to stay peaceful over the weekend.

The problem is that the hospital that the MRI was done at is not affiliated with the hospital that she works at. The MRI has not been read yet so their is no report

I am trying to have a good weekend.Thanks
                Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                  Melissa,
                  No news is good news. A radiologist would have already read the MRI and if there was bad news, a phone call would have been made to your son's Doc, I am sure. Take care of yourself and try not to worry. Remember who is in control of your life. I pray that your surgery is successful.
                  Sally
                  I haven't followed as closely as I would have liked, but this is my thought as well. If a radiologist saw something that was really bad, I believe that you would know about it already.

Good luck on your Monday surgery. Is this your shoulder?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                    Latest update- The doctor called me and told me to call her office on Monday and ask for the earliest appt that she has available. I said that Monday I would having surgery and could we discuss it now? Her answer is that she does not discuss that kind of information over the phone. She told me that I had to pick my priority and stick with it. Needless to say , if we need to go forward , it will not be with this doctor.

Thanks again everyone for your support
                    OMG Melissa, that is just horrible behavior. I'm so sorry that you have to put up with it.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Melissa--
                      I agree this is unforgivable! I'm glad you are managing to stay focused on your surgery and planning to have a good weekend. Before you know it, this surgery will be in the rear-view mirror. Hang in there! Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• I am having a very low key weekend and focusing on my surgery.

Thanks for all of your good wishes
                        Melissa

Comment

• This shoulder surgery seems to have a harder recuperation than my other surgeries. I really do not know how I will get out of bed. All the websites about rotator cuff surgery say that you cannot use the operated on arm to push up to get out of bed .
                          Melissa

Comment

• I'm sure the hospital will send the occupational therapist around to show you how to manage it Melissa. There will be ways to get around it. On the positive side, you are getting one of your major hurdles dealt with and out of the way. You've waited so long. You're taking a giant stride tomorrow and you can deal with all else, afterwards. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.
                            Jen
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm sure the hospital will send the occupational therapist around to show you how to manage it Melissa. There will be ways to get around it. On the positive side, you are getting one of your major hurdles dealt with and out of the way. You've waited so long. You're taking a giant stride tomorrow and you can deal with all else, afterwards. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.
                              Jen
                              Thanks Jen. I am so ready to get rid of one of my problems
                              Melissa

Comment

• I am getting nervous about this surgery . I do not know why
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X