September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    Melissa, the internet can explain it far better than i can...
    i think the differences involve where the shots are placed
    in the spine...

jess
    Ok Thanks but do all the shots have steroids?
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
      Jess, please explain what, if any, is the difference between epidural and steroid shots
      Steroid shots most commonly refer to shots that go into painful joints. Epidural injections are steroids, but are delivered epidurally (into the dura surrounding the spinal cord).
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Steroid shots most commonly refer to shots that go into painful joints. Epidural injections are steroids, but are delivered epidurally (into the dura surrounding the spinal cord).
        Thanks for explaining it.
        One more question- What is a trigger point injection?
        Melissa

Comment

Thanks for explaining it.
          One more question- What is a trigger point injection?
          Melissa,
          I can answer that one for you. A trigger point is a very tight muscle spasm that can be within a larger muscle like a little knot. They put a needle into the spasm (trigger point) and rough it up a bit to cause blood to come into the area. This makes the spasm let go. They use a local anesthetic to do it so that it doesn't hurt. They often use steroids to make it last longer and reduce inflammation. But they can do what they call "dry needling" where no steroid is injected.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            Melissa,
            I can answer that one for you. A trigger point is a very tight muscle spasm that can be within a larger muscle like a little knot. They put a needle into the spasm (trigger point) and rough it up a bit to cause blood to come into the area. This makes the spasm let go. They use a local anesthetic to do it so that it doesn't hurt. They often use steroids to make it last longer and reduce inflammation. But they can do what they call "dry needling" where no steroid is injected.
            Ok Thanks Dr Bederman wants me to have that in my neck as he thinks that might ease my pain.I going to talk to him about it because your description does not sound like my neck problem
            Melissa

Comment

• I have a question. My legs are very weak. Is that from my hips?
              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                hi Jenna
                steroid injections...i have had epidural injections,
                and steroid shots in other areas...only ones that helped
                me were the shots in sacroiliac joints...but the last time, i
                was given too much of the steroid, and it caused cortisol
                to crash...cortisol gives you energy, so i am exhausted...
                doctors say to give it time and it will hopefully build back up
                by itself...
                it can take a while to figure out where the shots will benefit
                the patient...it took me a lot of trials of shots in different
                areas to discover none helped me, then we happened on
                SI joints in trial and error...and it was great...relieved most all of
                my severe lumbar pain, from 70 degree curve, degenerative
                disc disease, collapsing back with vertebrae falling on each other,
                etc...lasted about 3 months each time...
                the doctor gave too much in the dose in January...got great
                pain relief but kept feeling more and more tired...blood test
                confirmed cortisol was almost gone...

i would suggest talking to pain management doctor rather than
                surgeon, though some surgeons do the injections...

jess
                Hi Jess

Sounds like you've been through the mill finding something that works. I've heard about pain relief patches also but it seems in the UK they stick you on oral medication and leave you on it. I'll look into what you said but hopefully I will be called into surgery really soon and may not need injections. :-)

Thanks for your advice and good luck with getting your cortisol back

Jenna x
                27 yr old Female.
                Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• thanks for the good wishes, Jenna
                  hope your name comes up soon....

Melissa, i never got anything from trigger point injections....no relief....

jess

Comment

• Wish me well

I am off to see the hip Dr and pain management

Hope I have some good news to share later
                    Melissa

Comment

• Too much steroid in shot?

Jess, If one gets steroid injections, say every few months, the adrenal gland can get depressed by the frequent injections in a one year period or over several years. This does not mean the doctor gave you "too much" the last time. I suspect your adrenals were continuously being challenged over a long period of time. As long as on is getting frequent shots, which get absorbed slowly, the symptoms of steroid lack are masked by the shots. It's a catch 22. The longer the one gets shots the longer the adrenals will be suppressed. This also happens wit oral steroids and steroid inhalers.
                      This is science not my opinion.
                      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

• Good news. Dr Bederman had called the pain management doctor Friday and talked about my SI injection. So I was pleasantly surprised to find out this morning when I arrived that it was not a clinic appt but a procedure appt. So I was able to get my Si injection in my right hip. Next week, I can have my left hip done.
                        So 2 out of 3 pains in my right hip are gone. However, when I went to see the hip doctor who does MI hip surgery, he told me that there was nothing he could for me as I need a right hip replacement . In Dr Bederman's office , they are hiring a hip replacement doctor but he will not be working there until the fall.

So that is my latest news.
                        Melissa

Comment

Good news. Dr Bederman had called the pain management doctor Friday and talked about my SI injection. So I was pleasantly surprised to find out this morning when I arrived that it was not a clinic appt but a procedure appt. So I was able to get my Si injection in my right hip. Next week, I can have my left hip done.
                          So 2 out of 3 pains in my right hip are gone. However, when I went to see the hip doctor who does MI hip surgery, he told me that there was nothing he could for me as I need a right hip replacement . In Dr Bederman's office , they are hiring a hip replacement doctor but he will not be working there until the fall.

So that is my latest news.
                          Hi Melissa,

So glad you got your injection so quickly and it's helping with the pain. Sorry to hear you need a hip replacement though. Hope you can manage your pain for now and get strong enough for hip surgery if thats the route you go down. Good Luck!!

Jenna
                          27 yr old Female.
                          Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                          Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                          Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• hey Melissa
                            the SI joint injections were the ONLY ones that gave me
                            lower back pain relief...relieved lower back and hip pain
                            to the point where i could walk...it was great, til i got too much steroid...i haven't gotten SI shots since January....so my pain has returned...

i hope the SI shots give you as much pain relief as they gave
                            me...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• What great news! Been away for nearly a week and came back to find some of your pain has gone. What a relief for you after being in such pain for so long.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Melissa,

It's so GREAT to hear that you actually got in for a procedure to help with the pain! I'm sorry to hear you need a hip replacement, too. By the time you're done we can call you the Six-Million Dollar Woman! Ha ha, remember when that show was popular (The Six-Million Dollar Man) and people really thought that was such a huge amount of money that it couldn't even be fathomed? Ha ha ha! Not that I wouldn't like to have six-million dollars! I can still hear the sound effects of the Bionic Man in action!....Hmmm....Now I'm trying to remember if it was called the Six-Million Dollar Man or the Bionic Man...??? I'm sure someone will correct me! HA!

Okay, it was the "Six Million Dollar Man" and the "Bionic Woman". Here's a clip from "The Bionic Woman" sound effects and all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoDJ...eature=related

Here's to you, Melissa! In all kindness, of course. =)
                                Last edited by rohrer01; 06-06-2012, 01:15 AM. Reason: added thought
                                Be happy!
                                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X