No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I said, I do not know what the reason behind her statement was. I know she is a moderator at a scoliosis board and my impression is that she has a lot of knowledge regarding spine related stuff. I simply posted her statement as it was a thing that I would have liked to be aware of if I were to go through something similar, especially when you have gone through so many surgeries already. Maybe it is an idea to talk to some patients who actually have run into the problem. It is not very difficult to register at the yahoo flatback forum. Just a suggestion. I would personally not trust any doctors blindly.
    2001:Compression fracture L1- leads to kyphosis in the area, sagittal balance problems

2005:Artificial disc protheses (L5/S1, L5/L4) Failes and creates a hyperlordosis in the lumbar, sagittal balance problem worsens.

2010:Revision surgery of ADR L4/L5 to fusion- too much of the lordosis is reduced, fused in a kyphosis. Hyperlordosis at L5S1 increases

Currently in severe pain and bedridden. Need a revision surgery of hyperlordosis at L5S1 and correction of sagittal balance, kyposis prob.

Comment

• How many injections can one get in one year?
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Melissa, many docs say 3-4 in 12 months...but it depends on how much they are giving in the doses...
        my last time, the assistant said the doctor gave me "a ton of steroid"
        because i had complained that the time prior to that, the shots didn't
        help me...but believe me, i wasn't expecting, or asking him, to overdose me...
        and when that doctor called me, he said he never heard of that side effect...
        which is awful...because it is not unheard of...not common, but not
        unheard of...i think any doctor giving those shots should be aware it
        can happen!!!
        if at any time, a patient who gets regular steroid shots feels exhausted,
        it would be worth a blood test...pretty simple...

jess

Comment

• I don't think anyone really knows how much cortisone is too much, but Jess could certainly be a potential example. I do know that it's thought that repeated injections in the same place is suspected to cause tissue damage.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            Melissa, many docs say 3-4 in 12 months...but it depends on how much they are giving in the doses...
            can happen!!!

jess
            Then what do you for the pain before you have surgery?
            Melissa

Comment

• good question, Melissa
              when steroid shots are not a possiblity, the doctors
              don't have many answers...
              there is still nerve ablation...though it never did much for me...
              modern medicine is still quite lacking, in my opinion....

jess

Comment

good question, Melissa
                when steroid shots are not a possiblity, the doctors
                don't have many answers...
                there is still nerve ablation...though it never did much for me...
                modern medicine is still quite lacking, in my opinion....

jess
                What is nerve ablation?

I do agree with you about modern medicine. I guess that is why I am going to have more surgery because I cannot live with pain that I have now. I have to try to get some pain relief anyway I can
                Melissa

Comment

• nerve ablation is when they burn the nerve off...
                  it comes back...but it is supposed to help so that
                  the pain is not transmitted for a while...
                  didn't do much for me when i tried it before..
                  i would give it another try, but would not expect much, personally

i never assume surgery will make me better...
                  had a couple of instances in the past where it made things
                  worse for me...
                  hope you do not experience that...

jess

Comment

nerve ablation is when they burn the nerve off...
                    it comes back...but it is supposed to help so that
                    the pain is not transmitted for a while...
                    didn't do much for me when i tried it before..
                    i would give it another try, but would not expect much, personally

i never assume surgery will make me better...
                    had a couple of instances in the past where it made things
                    worse for me...
                    hope you do not experience that...

jess
                    I know that that is a risk but I am willing to take it as I cannot go on this way

How is nerve ablation done?
                    Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                      I know that that is a risk but I am willing to take it as I cannot go on this way

How is nerve ablation done?
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xPKpi0ILJw
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                        Thanks Linda
                        Melissa

Comment

Melissa, many docs say 3-4 in 12 months...but it depends on how much they are giving in the doses...
                          can happen!!!

jess
                          Hi Jess

Just wondering what these injections are your talking about?

I'm having such a bad day today pain wise and I've only ever been offered oral medication. A while back my surgeon suggested slightly different medication to see if that would help the pain because I was taking the maximum and as soon as I got to 3 hrs after taking the tablets I needed more. Unfortunately the two different types of meds i tried made me really ill so i had to stop taking them.

I'm back to taking the maximum tablets with anti inflamatories inbetween but sometimes I feel sick with them and quite often sleepy.

Maybe something else could help.

Jenna
                          27 yr old Female.
                          Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                          Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                          Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• hi Jenna
                            steroid injections...i have had epidural injections,
                            and steroid shots in other areas...only ones that helped
                            me were the shots in sacroiliac joints...but the last time, i
                            was given too much of the steroid, and it caused cortisol
                            to crash...cortisol gives you energy, so i am exhausted...
                            doctors say to give it time and it will hopefully build back up
                            by itself...
                            it can take a while to figure out where the shots will benefit
                            the patient...it took me a lot of trials of shots in different
                            areas to discover none helped me, then we happened on
                            SI joints in trial and error...and it was great...relieved most all of
                            my severe lumbar pain, from 70 degree curve, degenerative
                            disc disease, collapsing back with vertebrae falling on each other,
                            etc...lasted about 3 months each time...
                            the doctor gave too much in the dose in January...got great
                            pain relief but kept feeling more and more tired...blood test
                            confirmed cortisol was almost gone...

i would suggest talking to pain management doctor rather than
                            surgeon, though some surgeons do the injections...

jess

Comment

hi Jenna
                              steroid injections...i have had epidural injections,
                              and steroid shots

jess
                              Jess, please explain what, if any, is the difference between epidural and steroid shots
                              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa, the internet can explain it far better than i can...
                                i think the differences involve where the shots are placed
                                in the spine...

jess

Comment

Working...
                                X