No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad you had a good visit with the home nurse, Melissa.
    Yes, I imagine that would be difficult to see your belly if you can't look down. Over the last few years my neck has stiffened enough that I cannot touch my chin to my chest anymore (about a 2 inch gap). I found it very frustrating when it first happened and I was trying to fold sheets using my chin and they just fell. I know sheets aren't supposed to be folded that way (in a hospital anyway), but that's how I've always done it at home. I had to make the adjustments. Also, since my shoulder has been so painful, I have to adjust to the way I get dressed and even what I can wear. I had a REALLY hard time at first, but now I'm getting used to doing things differently. I can only imagine how this is just a drop in the bucket compared to how you've had to adjust and relearn how to accomplish simple (we take for granted) things. I hope your pain is under control. I think about you all the time and hope things settle down for you!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

• Yes! I echo much of what Rohrer just said! It was great to hear from you and good to know the nurse came and things are looking ok. Just think-- "big chested" ladies can't see their stomachs either, (big smile) so you're not alone. It must be reassuring to know that your incision and wound are looking ok. Take care and keep us posted when you can. Hugs.

Rohrer-- with my fusion starting at T2- I have more problems tipping my head back (like finishing a can or bottle of drink), but I can barely manage, if I strain, to touch my chin to my chest.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Great news Melissa. Glad your lawyer said Ok to post.Susie Bee---so us small chested{smile}ladies have it easier???? I always say THEY are never in my way. And that becomes a blessing since I can't lean forward well Fusion to T2-pelvis an c5,6,7. Makes it hard to avoid getting food everywhere!
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

• Melissa--
          I'm so glad you got a visiting nurse! Also the possibility for OT and PT is great. It is so helpful to have that support the first few weeks when you get home. Keep the healing going and stay strong. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• I'm joining the others in being happy to hear this latest bit of news. How often does she come, Melissa? I'm so glad you're getting some good support at home.

Rest and heal.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• You are on your way to recovery! So glad that things are finally falling into place.
              Susan
              W/ T3 and very old sagging breasts, I can see my tummy. Maybe one vertebrae makes a difference.
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                I'm joining the others in being happy to hear this latest bit of news. How often does she come, Melissa? I'm so glad you're getting some good support at home.

Rest and heal.
                The visiting nurse will be coming 2-3 days a week.
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• That's great Melissa. Glad someone's keeping a close eye on you. Take care.

Comment

• I am asking those of you who pray please pray for me . It seems as if Dr Bederman's letters do not count for anything. Also, since 2011, I have written on travel websites about places that i would like to go. Because I have done that, that fact that Dr Bederman's letters say that I cannot travel doesn't matter. I cannot get my lawyer on the phone. This is what he wrote in a email to me

Thanks
                    Melissa

Comment

• I think you need to give us that lawyer's name and email address. We'll show him what's what. Dr. Bederman's name is listed on the SRS site-- any dummy could check that out. This is absolutely ridiculous and could jeopardize your health. Send a link to the SRS site to the judge, post haste. And of course, I am praying for you and sending my love too.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                        I am asking those of you who pray please pray for me . It seems as if Dr Bederman's letters do not count for anything. Also, since 2011, I have written on travel websites about places that i would like to go. Because I have done that, that fact that Dr Bederman's letters say that I cannot travel doesn't matter. I cannot get my lawyer on the phone. This is what he wrote in a email to me

Thanks
                        I do not understand what you are saying. We all dream about places that we want to go.....so what? I want to go to Bhutan, but my doctor would prohibit that. I can still dream, right? I also dream about being 6 feet tall and have said that on websites....but that is not going to happen.

You are in my prayers. Susan
                        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• I wish the Judge would turn your case over to another lawyer. I agree with Susie. We could tell him a few home truths.

I don't know, but I'm thinking this lawyer is not prepared to defend you the way he should. I think what he says is nonsense.

Didn't he just tell you to go ahead and write on forums?

*hugs*

Comment

• Keep your chin up!

Melissa,
                            These legal things are a BIG pain!!! I always look at travel mags. I won't be going, but I enjoy the pictures and see the places in my mind. I would love to travel to Europe{my lawyer just returned from there}but I am very doubtful of the flight. You keep your chin up. The legal things take so very long and are hard to understand. 6years for me and always a BIG pain. As soon as I can, I will say more.And I probably said way too much already as I am still muzzled!Some day the straps will come off and look out!
                            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                            Right scapulectomy 6/15
                            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                            Broken neck 9/28/2018
                            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                            Osteotomy

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                              I am asking those of you who pray please pray for me . It seems as if Dr Bederman's letters do not count for anything. Also, since 2011, I have written on travel websites about places that i would like to go. Because I have done that, that fact that Dr Bederman's letters say that I cannot travel doesn't matter. I cannot get my lawyer on the phone. This is what he wrote in a email to me

Thanks
                              Melissa,
                              Unless you said you DID go to those places, you can want all you can dream of. Like others have said, that doesn't make your travels a reality. Besides, even IF you did travel, your circumstances are certainly not the same now. Duh! You just had surgery. You are fused from head to tail. What kind of lawyer thinks a persons dreams are reality? You really need to talk to him and straighten him out. The fact that you need to do this makes me feel that HIS head is in the clouds somewhere! And...whatever this is about, which I do not want to know, IF you do get a settlement of some sort, what business is it of anyone's how you spend it? I hope you eventually DO get well enough to go to some nice travel destinations! But we all know your reality NOW doesn't allow for that. So now you're not allowed to dream?
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                                Melissa,
                                Unless you said you DID go to those places, you can want all you can dream of. Like others have said, that doesn't make your travels a reality. Besides, even IF you did travel, your circumstances are certainly not the same now. Duh! You just had surgery. You are fused from head to tail. What kind of lawyer thinks a persons dreams are reality? You really need to talk to him and straighten him out. The fact that you need to do this makes me feel that HIS head is in the clouds somewhere! And...whatever this is about, which I do not want to know, IF you do get a settlement of some sort, what business is it of anyone's how you spend it? I hope you eventually DO get well enough to go to some nice travel destinations! But we all know your reality NOW doesn't allow for that. So now you're not allowed to dream?
                                Thanks . I will not be getting a settlement of any kind from this lawsuit. The best that I can hope for is to owe my brother nothing. He wants over $400,000 from me.

Melissa
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X