No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful news Melissa. I hope it lifted your spirits and I hope you don't pay for it too much tomorrow. Let us know how you go.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• that's great to hear, Melissa...
      hope you are not too sore...but if soreness is the only consequence,
      it is probably to be expected....
      maybe you will be able to do more walking this spring/summer.....
      i hope so....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
        I had a very good day today. My DH and myself went to Joshua Tree NP. I took two different hikes. The first one was 1/2 mile and the second one was 1.3 miles. I feel it in my right hip and leg so I will see tomorrow how much pain I will be in the morning
        That is so funny! I used to HATE Joshua Tree NP when I was a kid. I would have NEVER voluntarily taken hike there. LOL... My dad used to take us kids out into the desert, though, and give us "nature tours". I never really appreciated it until I was an adult. My dad was trying to help us see the beauty around us no matter where we were. We had moved to Phoenix from Vancouver, WA, so everything seemed "ugly" to me. I missed the Pacific NW. When we lived in Vancouver, our "nature tours" were to places along the PCH and almost always included the beach, unless we went up into the mountains in the winter to play in the snow. It's just that your comment reminded me of my dad, somehow. I miss him really bad (He passed away last March). I can't believe it's been over a year already.

I'm really glad you had a nice day. Joshua Tree NP really is very unique, and I never even knew they had hiking trails there, because at the time I felt like, "Just get me out of here!" This is the PERFECT time of year to visit the desert, as everything is in bloom and is as "green" as it can be. Some of those desert flowers are just spectacular, including cactus flowers. It's not too hot, yet, either. ;-)

Did you ever have your scar looked at? I'm assuming I should read the rest of this thread before I ask that. LOL ... I'm hoping everything is okay with you.

Take Care,
        Rohrer01
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

Keep up the good work! Get yourself some walking sticks or ski poles.

Ed
          I'm so inspired by your outing, Melissa.

Ed, tell me more about hiking poles.

Warmly
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Doreen,
            Hiking poles and ski poles? Well, the best ones are light and cost $1.00 at a garage sale or flea market.

They have adjustable poles. Cross country poles are generally longer. Ski pole length usually is where your arm is parallel to the ground with the pole fully planted in the snow. They also have poles that hold fluids. (smiley face)
            http://www.coldpole.com/home.htm

Its nice to have that extra measure of security while walking.....

I really had a slow recovery....it was 10 months and was only doing just a few miles per session and having to have to lay down right after.....my shoulder had just been repaired, and my gall bladder was acting up. Melissa, I think your right on track with where you are at. It comes slow, but you will get there.

Rohrer
            Sounds like you had a great dad...

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• I guess I overdid it yesterday. I slept all day today and still feel horrible.I am in so much pain
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Rohrer
                Sounds like you had a great dad...

Ed
                I really did have a great dad. I have a great mom, too. They just couldn't live with each other! Too bad, too. I had a very good childhood when they were married. They were both very willing to cooperate with Axial Biotech when they asked for DNA. Hey, maybe I can ask for some of his DNA back and clone him! Just kidding! I would only get his twin and not him. :-)

Melissa,
                I'm sorry to hear that you are so sore. As you lay there aching, remember the wonderful day that you had being ABLE to hike at Joshua Tree NP. Even a month ago, that would have been completely out of the question! You ARE making progress, even if it doesn't feel like it. (((hugs)))

Rohrer01
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

• Melissa, maybe after you heal and are up for trying it again...do HALF as much...
                  or even a third as much!
                  i think Ed knows his stuff...and what if all will really heal well but it is going to take two or three
                  times as long as you were prepared for???...you will still heal...just slower...maybe maddeningly so...but heal
                  you will...
                  do you know the prayer..."Lord, grant me patientce...and make it QUICK!"
                  well...something to think about...
                  i sympathize with you...i am at heart a patient New Yorker...and there isn't really any such thing, truly....

feel better soon...
                  jess...& Sparky

Comment

• Melissa--
                    Most always say 2 steps forward, one step back. I often felt it was more like one step forward, 2 steps back. You might under-standably feel the same. However, it's wonderful you had that good day. As others have saidk, maybe just too much at once. It's still encouraging to know you could! My p.t. was very big on using the ski poles/walking sticks too. I wish I had had more faith in them. I think I stuck with the walker too long. I now see how helpful they would have been. Good luck. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• It was an ok week after Monday when I slept all day. Now I have a bigger problem. I do not have a bed to sleep in. My new bed was on the schedule to be delivered today and it is not on the truck.
                      Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa,

I guess I have not checked in on you since my own surgery. I am so sorry to hear about your house!!! That is truly shocking, and obviously it was not meant to be your home. I'm happy to see you handling everything well, and I hope it all turns out for the best for you with a home you like even more. (And a bed!) Maybe all of this will distract you from the pain for a while, until you can get a little further along in the healing process and start to get those injections working.

Best wishes & happy Easter!
                        Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Ot

I truly believe that I am having a nervous or mental breakdown. I am not taking any narcotic drugs at all. I cannot dial a phone number even if it is right in front of me. I mess the numbers up. My son has half days this week and I need to pick him up at 1pm.I have that written down and he told me again before he left for school. I race down to get him at 11:50 only to see no other cars at the school. Only then do I remember that I have to get him at 1pm. I cannot think of names of friends . I am just not doing well anymore. Help!!!
                          Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                            I truly believe that I am having a nervous or mental breakdown. I am not taking any narcotic drugs at all. I cannot dial a phone number even if it is right in front of me. I mess the numbers up. My son has half days this week and I need to pick him up at 1pm.I have that written down and he told me again before he left for school. I race down to get him at 11:50 only to see no other cars at the school. Only then do I remember that I have to get him at 1pm. I cannot think of names of friends . I am just not doing well anymore. Help!!!
                            Melissa... You should report the symptoms to your primary care doctor or your pain management doctor (if you still have one). It could simply be an issue with withdrawal, but it could also be a symptom of something more serious.

--Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• My bet is it's some sort of withdrawal symptom.

However, and I've never told anybody this before...but when I first went through menopause, I thought I had early-onset Alzheimers. I was terrified to do anything because I seemed to make a mess of everything. My memory let me down on a daily basis. I would wake up in the morning and have no idea what day it was. I was scared to open my mouth in case I said something daft. I withdrew for several years and felt depressed. I didn't see a doctor, I had no motivation for anything. But slowly, very slowly, it "wore off." It was a nightmare to say the least. I only share this now because it was terrifying and if speaking about it facilitates treatment for others, it's worth it.

So please get thoroughly checked out. Most likely, it's a symptom of withdrawal from the narcotics. I am unsure of your age, but if you're anywhere late 40s, ask about menopause.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                                My bet is it's some sort of withdrawal symptom.

However, and I've never told anybody this before...but when I first went through menopause, I thought I had early-onset Alzheimers. I was terrified to do anything because I seemed to make a mess of everything. My memory let me down on a daily basis. I would wake up in the morning and have no idea what day it was. I was scared to open my mouth in case I said something daft. I withdrew for several years and felt depressed. I didn't see a doctor, I had no motivation for anything. But slowly, very slowly, it "wore off." It was a nightmare to say the least. I only share this now because it was terrifying and if speaking about it facilitates treatment for others, it's worth it.

So please get thoroughly checked out. Most likely, it's a symptom of withdrawal from the narcotics. I am unsure of your age, but if you're anywhere late 40s, ask about menopause.
                                I had the very same experience. Thankfully, it seems to have gotten better as my other symptoms have improved. (I'm in year 13 of hot flashes.)

--Linda
                                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                                X