September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
    Sounds like you're getting the dreaded muscle spasms, Melissa. Debbei is the expert on those. I hope you have some Valium or similar at home.

I have been on Robaxin since July and that has been helping me most of the time. Can I take Valium for break thru muscle spasms or should I ask Dr Bederman if I can take
    additional Robaxin at the time of the spasms?
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
      About how long does it take before riding in a car is no longer painful? We ventured out to look at Christmas lights and about 30 min into the ride I was in a lot of pain despite having a lot of pillows around me.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      Doreen, I am comfortable in the car for up to 30 minutes or so. It is when the trip gets to being over one hour that I start feeling pain.
      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
        I have been on Robaxin since July and that has been helping me most of the time. Can I take Valium for break thru muscle spasms or should I ask Dr Bederman if I can take
        additional Robaxin at the time of the spasms?
        I don't really know, but I'm hoping someone here who dealt with the dreaded muscle spasms can give you some advice. Strangely, I didn't get them and I'm sorry that you are, on top of everything else. I hope you're still taking every opportunity to sleep when you can.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I don't really know, but I'm hoping someone here who dealt with the dreaded muscle spasms can give you some advice. Strangely, I didn't get them and I'm sorry that you are, on top of everything else. I hope you're still taking every opportunity to sleep when you can.
          Yes, I am back to taking naps at least one a day but some days 2 a day. This scares me some what as my mobility is getting less as is my strength. I am
          getting bad pains in different places as well. I am hoping that this is just a blip on my recovery

Thanks for caring
          Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
            Maybe I'm not one to give advice about muscle spasms post surgery, as I have not had any back surgery. But I do suffer from terrible muscle spasms. They can be completely debilitating at times, especially when I get them in my intercostals (betwee the ribs). Then even breathing is difficult. They were just treating the pain from them and that wasn't doing anything except giving me really bad side effects from the strong narcotics. My PCP has prescribed several different muscle relaxants, some of which I had really adverse reactions to. I went to see an anesthesiologist who told me to take my baclofen (I still had it). I told him it didn't work. He said it was because I wasn't taking enough or taking it consistently. Now I'm on 10mg in the morning and afternoon and 20mg at night. I also have klonopin (clonazapam) as it lasts longer than valium and works better for me. I am coming off of a bad spell. I had trigger point injections and am feeling a lot better so I'm weaning down on the klonopin. I have the freedom to up my baclofen to one or two 10mg tabs three times a day, so I was taking 20mg in the afternoon and 0.5mg of klonopin three times a day. Now I've reduced that to twice a day and intend to drop down to once a day, hopefully.

I'm not suggesting you get trigger point injections at all as you are in recovery. But the whole point of my story is that maybe you can ask your doctor how much freedom you have with your medications. I find that muscle relaxers, when they work, do just as much for pain relief if not more than the straight painkillers, unless you take a hefty dose of narcotics. Maybe there is a possibility you need to change medications to keep those spasms under control. I can certainly understand why you are having them, as you have been through a lot. It has been my experience, with the trigger point injections that when I would get one area under control, another area would tighten up and hurt. It could be the same principle with you, when you say you hurt in different places.

With the bad episodes that I have had, which I'm sure pale in comparison to what you are going through, weakness is one thing I know I've had to watch out for. I would check in with your doctor about this. He may suggest keeping yourself under better pain control, whether through muscle relaxants or pain meds, to keep you moving. I have found in the past that taking pain meds during periods of PT helped me get through them until I was strong enough not to need the meds anymore. It can be a vicious cycle, but using the meds to your advantage to keep you moving might not be a bad idea. Of course, always talk to your doc.

Well I've rambled on enough. I certainly hope you start feeling better soon and regaining some of your strength. Take Care.
            Last edited by rohrer01; 12-27-2011, 02:54 AM.
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Yes, I am back to taking naps at least one a day but some days 2 a day. This scares me some what as my mobility is getting less as is my strength. I am
              getting bad pains in different places as well. I am hoping that this is just a blip on my recovery

Thanks for caring
              It's good that you're getting this extra sleep. Keep this up and in a few days or a week, I wouldn't be suprised to see a post from you saying you're feeling better. Fingers crossed. See if you can squeeze a short walk in between the naps, to keep your strength up. I know it's difficult in Winter. Even marching on the spot while you watch tv might be better than nothing. Thinking of you.

Comment

• Hello,Dr Bederman agreed to let me have 2 750mgs pills of Robaxin 3 times a day. Yea!!! That makes me feel much better
                Melissa

Comment

• That's good Melissa. I believe you need to have the confidence that if you need extra, you can get it and not suffer in agony.

How are you feeling today?

Comment

That's good Melissa. I believe you need to have the confidence that if you need extra, you can get it and not suffer in agony.

How are you feeling today?
                    Well, I went to the Robaxin website and they said that you could take up to 6 pills a day so I asked Dr Bederman if I could take more pills and he said yes. I took a short nap today and I feel ok
                    Thanks for asking
                    Melissa

Comment

• I'm glad you've got something that works for you. I hope you continue to feel "better". I know it will take time, but it's really nice to have flexibility with your meds. Take Care.
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

• I am glad to have the flexibility to choose what drugs I need at any one time

I am so hoping that 2012 is a better year for all of us here
                        Melissa

Comment

• Melissa--
                          I so hope that new flexibility will help you manage the pain and help you feel more in control of the whole situation. Yes, 2012 has to be better for you and others here dealing with difficulties. Prayers and positive thoughts!! Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hello,Dr Bederman agreed to let me have 2 750mgs pills of Robaxin 3 times a day. Yea!!! That makes me feel much better
                            I'm glad you got an answer from the dr. Like Jen said, get as much rest as your body wants.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Well, I slept from Wednesday night at 11pm until this morning at 7:30pm. I have only done that once before which was the day after Thanksgiving. When I do get up . like to get to the bathroom, I feel so strange like I am under water.
                              Melissa

Comment

• Any one have any memory issues?
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X