September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa

Shoulder surgery for me was a walk in the park, and didn’t even take any meds after that one.

It was Dr Menmuir that finally said that I had to get it fixed at some point. LOL I just needed a break since my scoli recovery was tough for the first 3 months. Maybe after you feel better and get stronger in time, you might consider....

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• i hope you heal a little each day, Melissa
      thoughts and prayers to you for relief and feeling better

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        I actually just heard one of our surgeons today say that most "older" adults have torn rotator cuffs, but that most are non-symptomatic. Who knew!
        I'm quite sure my hubby falls into that category. His shoulder hurts him quite badly and there is something wrong with his wrist, probably arthritis. But he refuses to go to the doctor to find out. He's a mechanic and I suppose when he absolutely can't do his job any more he'll either be forced to get it checked out or retire, which I KNOW he won't do.

But, Melissa, if it is as Ed pointed out, a walk in the park, in comparison, I wouldn't be afraid to go ahead at the end of the year and get it assessed. I hope it improves on its own. Either way, no fear. Feel better soon! Who knows, maybe being at home will actually feel better. How did you sleep last night?
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Melissa,
          It might be a walk in the park as far as pain is considered, but recovery is slow (at least in older adults), so that has to be considered. You have to keep your arm in a special sling for six weeks and sleep with it the first few weeks. Then back to physical therapy for a few weeks. It took my husband a full six months to completely recover. I'm so sorry this happened to you on top of everything else. Gently hugs. Sometimes it turns out to be very minor which is what happened to a friend of mine.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• I came home last night. I slept like a log.The trip home was very tiring. I went out to get my meds and have breakfast out. Now I am waiting for a visiting nurse to come to the house and then set up therapy at home.pain is very well controlled with the med schedule that I am on now.

Yes, I will be doing shoulder therapy and then having my shoulder looked at by a shoulder guy in 6 weeks.

Thanks everyone for their good wishes
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Oh finally- to read that ur pain is tolerable- so glad to hear that! I'm sure u feel better in your own home, too- I pray your recovery will continue to improve now, and your shoulder issue will be - as TiEd describes- "a walk in the park" !
              57 years old.
              thoracic curve 68 degrees
              lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
              Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
              Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
              THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

• Woohoo! It must be a huge boost to your morale, not to have unrelenting pain all the time. Happy healing!
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• I do feel so much better. The combination of drugs really seems to work for me
                  Melissa

Comment

• Great news!

Take it easy, eat healthily, get in some walking every day, you know the drill. Give nature every chance to heal you.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                      I do feel so much better. The combination of drugs really seems to work for me
                      Good to hear that you're feeling better. Drugs are a good thing when you need them!
                      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• i hope the meds keep doing their job, Melissa
                        and that you heal a little every day

jess

Comment

• Thanks everyone . I saw the visiting nurse today and Monday the PT will be coming to my house .Tuesday the OT is coming to my house. I am very concerned
                          about not losing what I have gained the past week. Monday I will getting my staples out.I cannot wait. The staples are really bothering me.I have never had
                          staples before and hope never to have them again.
                          Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
                            It's good to hear your updates. "They" say that you heal faster and better at home, whoever they are. LOL I would have thought they would have taken your staples out before you came home since you were in the hospital for quite a while. I've never had staples either. I would imagine they would itch. It just sounds miserable. I'll be glad for you when you get them out. It's also good that you have arrangements for help at home with PT and OT.

I know for me when I'm at home I feel that I have to do housework. Let it go or have someone else come over and do it. You need to focus on you right now. Every day is a day closer to feeling better. I've been thinking about you.

Take care.
                            Be happy!
                            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

• I'm happy to hear that your meds are finally working for you! You know what your jobs is now--eat, sleep walk (and of course poop, LOL).

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• I have not done any house work since I moved to CA in June and do not intend to do any soon

It is wonderful when your meds work well and do not give you any side effect
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X