No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking in each day to get your latest news. Take it nice and easy, as each day passes, you're closer to healing. You must be so tired of this stage, having been there over and over. What's that movie I'm thinking of? Ground Hog Day, I think.

Sending good vibes!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I have been approved for rehab, either today or Monday. My right hand is not any better. I do not know what to do.
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
        I have been approved for rehab, either today or Monday. My right hand is not any better. I do not know what to do.
        Will they be doing any nerve conduction studies on your arm, like EMG? It would be nice to know at this point if it is just bruising or if the nerve got nicked. Do you have any numbness or nervy sensations anywhere else? I'm hoping that it's nothing serious and I hope you feel better soon!
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• I'm sure your surgeon mentioned that most nerve injuries are not permanent. I think that is correct. You have every reason to be optimistic as far as I have read about this issue.

With horses, some are relieved of hoof pain by cutting the nerves when they can't control pain otherwise. As far as I know, these operations have to be repeated because the nerve always grows back! Nerves can be very resilient!

Please keep your chin up, Melissa. We all care. :-)
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• glad you will be cared for in rehab...
            i hope feeling returns to your arm very soon....

you have been thru so much...
            i am praying you get a break and start feeling better quickly....

jess

Comment

I do not know what to do.

You don’t have to do anything but try not to let this bother you. Peripheral nerves do regenerate. (Nerve fibers outside the brain and spinal cord) There are plenty of examples of this.

Healing takes time and patience and you’re a pro at this....Every day you are healing, cells regenerate. Nerves can be stubborn, then all of a sudden they start to cooperate.....

One day at a time
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I have been approved for rehab, either today or Monday. My right hand is not any better. I do not know what to do.
                What does Dr Bederman think? Have you had a CT since surgery?
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  What does Dr Bederman think? Have you had a CT since surgery?

Dr Bederman thinks that my nerves will comeback.it is just a matter of time

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

Dr Bederman thinks that my nerves will comeback.it is just a matter of time

Melissa
                    How many days now? I'm sure he's right, but I might ask for some testing just to ease your mind (and ours). JK about the "ours" thing. Don't do anything except for yourself. You mentioned something about PT earlier. Are they going to start while you're still in the hospital? Let us know how that goes. A good PT can be quite smart and they may have some suggestions. Are they going to keep you until you get your arm movement back? Get well, you've been through enough and I hope you are finally done!
                    Be happy!
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

• I am in the rehab as of Thursday night.They have increased my pain meds so I am not feeling too badly. My left leg and my right arm are my big two problems. I
                      am so weak that I cannot get out of bed by myself.I need to find out why I stopped breathing during my surgery.
                      Thank you all for thinking of me for this long time
                      Melissa

Comment

• Melissa, I had nerve damage in my right leg after anterior surgery and could hardly move it for a while -- after physical therapy and time, it started to improve after a few weeks and is now just about perfect. I hope the same happens for you. Fingers crossed that all your post-op issues resolve for good this time.
                        Chris
                        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

• Sometimes people quit breathing when extubated. I know this because it happened to my grandson when he was only two. He had a laryngospasm where his throat closed off. He had to have a redo on the surgery a week later and they got a pediatric anesthesiologist who was really good so that he could just hold his head and not intubate him. When they tried to reverse the anesthesia he had a bronchospasm and a laryngospasm. Bronchospasm is where the lungs themselves close off. After that he was in the hospital for three days being monitored for his oxygen. The pediatric intesivist thought he probably had both kinds of spasm both times. They (being the doctors) thought they were going to lose him. In there own words, "He gave us a big scare!" The pediatric guy told us he probably has asthma.

So after this big long story, do you know when you quit breathing, and do you have asthma? That could be the reason.
                          Be happy!
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Singer View Post
                            Melissa, I had nerve damage in my right leg after anterior surgery and could hardly move it for a while -- after physical therapy and time, it started to improve after a few weeks and is now just about perfect. I hope the same happens for you. Fingers crossed that all your post-op issues resolve for good this time.
                            I certainly hope so. With my right hand like this, there is nothing that I can do. I want to be healthy again and enjoy life
                            Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                              Sometimes people quit breathing when extubated. I know this because it happened to my grandson when he was only two. He had a laryngospasm where his throat closed off. He had to have a redo on the surgery a week later and they got a pediatric anesthesiologist who was really good so that he could just hold his head and not intubate him. When they tried to reverse the anesthesia he had a bronchospasm and a laryngospasm. Bronchospasm is where the lungs themselves close off. After that he was in the hospital for three days being monitored for his oxygen. The pediatric intesivist thought he probably had both kinds of spasm both times. They (being the doctors) thought they were going to lose him. In there own words, "He gave us a big scare!" The pediatric guy told us he probably has asthma.

So after this big long story, do you know when you quit breathing, and do you have asthma? That could be the reason.
                              all I know is that it was in the middle of surgery
                              Melissa

Comment

• You poor lady!!

Malissa, That is just awful to think you quit breathing in surgery. You need to get the answers to this , as I'm sure the thought of it makes you wonder if this is all going together, as far as numbness in your arm and hand. And I would just want to know for my own peace of mind. I'm sure that this will resolve it's self with time.(pain and all the issues) It has to be scarey for you though. Just know we're out here pulling for you and praying that these issues will go away so you can heal and have the life you deserve. I have had three back surgeries since 2006. Two in 2010. (huge ones) And now in April , after my bones are stronger, I will be having another revision. Scared? Yes! But following your journey has given me the courage to keep going. You are an inspiration. "Soft Hugs" Linda(boomer)
                                Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                                Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                                This started adult onset scoliosis
                                July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                                Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                                May 30th 2013 revision
                                May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                                May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X