Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January, February, March 2010 surgeries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melissa - they are great questions to ask - I'm glad you asked them and will be interested to hear the answers
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

answers

Take to the hospital: your own toilet paper and tissues..theirs are way too thin

Don't take: clothes...I didn't put any on until the day I went home...just wore the lovely blue printed gowns for 6 nights. (In fact I wore home the same warm-up suit that I wore to the hospital...just changed the t-shirt and underwear!)

I never read books or magazines...just slept alot and watched tv

I also used those little disposable toothbrushes (Wisp by Colgate). They were great the first few days when I couldn't get out of bed to brush my teeth...and I chewed gum.

You will get constipated in the hospital...drink lots of water. That was almost the worst part. Have good foods with fiber at home for when you return. You can also try taking fiber-one bars to the hospital to eat once they put you on solid food.

Comment

ckieft - they are some great tips for us - thank you so much. I've taken notes for what to take and what not to take
        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Chris,

Great tips .Thanks so much.

Question about gum? Why?

Melissa

Comment

gum

I chewed gum to freshen my mouth because I threw up quite a bit. I had a minor dural tear in the membrane surrounding my spinal cord which could lead to a spinal fluid leak. So to prevent that, right after surgery, my bed had to be completely flat for 24 hours. While on the morphine, I slept alot with my mouth open and my lips and mouth got very dry. So when I finally could sit a little more propped up in bed, I wanted gum to wet and freshen my mouth. I didn't get out of bed for two days because of the tear. Most people are up and walking the next day...so I was about a day and a half behind schedule. That's why I was there 6 nights...a little longer than I had anticipated.

But I am doing so much better that I ever thought I would be. I could put o socks and tie my shoes at 2 weeks. (I have long arms and legs, so that helps a little.) I have never needed anyone to wipe me, or bath me. My mom did wash my hair in the shower the 3rd day I was home.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Comment

plase put my new surgery date on it march 10 whit dr gupta at uc davis medical center
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Surgery cancellation

Please take me off March 7th as my surgical date

I will explain in another post

Melissa

Comment

march surgeries

does anyone know who naptown78's(Kristi) surgeon is?
                  Age 56
                  Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                  Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                  Thoracic 68
                  Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                  Dr Bridwell St Louis
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Just bringing this back to the top again. Does anyone know for sure when saribari's surgery date is? When I put it on here she had two possible dates-- either today or the 16th. We have a couple more surgeries going on next week too. Best wishes to all of you having your surgeries soon! Pretty soon the long wait will be over!
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Added pint47's surgery...

Any others?

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Just added TexEx on to the list in the first post. We're about to end this thread. Best wishes and many prayers to TexEx (Melissa) and Radiogirl (Laura) -- their big day is Wednesday. Hugs, Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie, Thank you so much for your wishes and support and for doing this thread. It's so nice of you to maintain this. We are all soooooo blessed to have our support group here Thanks Susie!
                          Laura
                          62 degrees
                          49 yrs. young
                          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Working...
                          X