Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's terrible, at least for you. I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's such a mental roller coaster as it is without this being added. I hope they can reschedule you soon. Hang in there!
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
      That's terrible, at least for you. I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's such a mental roller coaster as it is without this being added. I hope they can reschedule you soon. Hang in there!
      Sally
      It was the only time I can have it too. My dad had to fight and call at least 20x to get that spot in short notice. And I moved all my finals and cleared up all my schedule and everything was perfect, then I get this call 2 days before surgery. I hate this crap, I just want to get this damn surgery over with.

Comment

Dont blame you for being angry..especially after rearranging everything...that would tick anybody off!

am wondering if you can re-plan...for a different school break...spring break.... would that be enuf time? or are you rethinking summer?

i know you will work it out.....once the anger subsides, you will think clearly about it!

best regards
        jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          Dont blame you for being angry..especially after rearranging everything...that would tick anybody off!

am wondering if you can re-plan...for a different school break...spring break.... would that be enuf time? or are you rethinking summer?

i know you will work it out.....once the anger subsides, you will think clearly about it!

best regards
          jess
          AIWHRJOAWHR I HATE THIS! My dad tried calling them to see if there is any spots with either stanford spine surgeons or any other day before christmas. And they said uhh, we will have to check, but your best bet is fridays since your surgeon is free. So my dad is like ok, what about this friday, nope, it's full. Next friday, nope it's Christmas, okay the friday after that, nope it's new years, FINE the friday after THAT, nope the surgeon is out of town. I swear I can't believe the shit luck I'm having, I NEED to get this done over winter break, I don't want to wait till summer and have it ruin my whole entire summer, I want to recover for 6 months now, and then start gym and enjoying my summer vacation, I just hope something works out.

Comment

If you're interested, I can find out if any of the UCSF spine surgeons has an opening before Christmas. I volunteer there (am about to be employed there as well).
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Oh nooooooooo. I'm so sorry this has happened. Sheesh! It's a bit cruel, I think. I hope your Dad or Linda can organise something for you.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                If you're interested, I can find out if any of the UCSF spine surgeons has an opening before Christmas. I volunteer there (am about to be employed there as well).
                Oh wow, that would be amazing. I will send you a PM.
                John

Comment

Oh my; how terrible. Especially since you had it scheduled over your break, not to mention having yourself mentally prepared, and now this.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

OMG! That sucks!!!! I'm so sorry! you've thought about it so much and then they do that to you :{ personal update that I thought you'd like to know I've been going to the gym :} No weights except the 5 pound dumbbells in my room. But I have been doing half hour on the eliptical everyday (with a break day). Have my 12 week post opp with the doc next week. My legs are getting stronger and it didn't take long for my body to get back into doing cardio work. So even if you did get the surgery a little later I'm sure you'll be healing faster than 6 months. I'm barely at my third month post opp and still working out. Technically I probably won't need outpatient physical therapy but I want to start kickboxing and pilates so I might go to physical therapy to help me get stronger. I walked a lot before I went to the gym so I'm sure that helped. Keep us posted and I'm so sorry they did that to you!

Comment

• Originally posted by debbei View Post
                      Oh my; how terrible. Especially since you had it scheduled over your break, not to mention having yourself mentally prepared, and now this.
                      Yeah , I was so ready for the surgery for tomorrow. I really wished it would work out. I hope I can find a day later this week or even early next week, but I don't want to stay in the hospital on Christmas.

Originally posted by spinalfusion09 View Post
                      OMG! That sucks!!!! I'm so sorry! you've thought about it so much and then they do that to you :{ personal update that I thought you'd like to know I've been going to the gym :} No weights except the 5 pound dumbbells in my room. But I have been doing half hour on the eliptical everyday (with a break day). Have my 12 week post opp with the doc next week. My legs are getting stronger and it didn't take long for my body to get back into doing cardio work. So even if you did get the surgery a little later I'm sure you'll be healing faster than 6 months. I'm barely at my third month post opp and still working out. Technically I probably won't need outpatient physical therapy but I want to start kickboxing and pilates so I might go to physical therapy to help me get stronger. I walked a lot before I went to the gym so I'm sure that helped. Keep us posted and I'm so sorry they did that to you!
                      Wow, good for you. You're only at 3 months and you're in the gym? Very good. I hope to recover as nicely as you, if I get the darn surgery.

Comment

• John
                        What a letdown. Good surgeons are usually very busy people.

Eventually, it will get all sorted out.
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                          John
                          What a letdown. Good surgeons are usually very busy people.

Eventually, it will get all sorted out.
                          Ed
                          I hope it will all work out somehow. ATM I am calling back and forth between MRI place, Stanford clinic, and Linda trying to help me with doing my surgery at ucsf. I hope something works out I really want to do this and it has put me in such a bad mood to start my winter break. If I get surgery within the next week that will be a miracle. I have horrible luck when it comes to this stuff. I'll keep you guys updated as time goes by. Wish me luck to knock this surgery down over winter break.

Comment

• Update: My new surgery date is 12/28. I just lost 12 days of recovery.

Comment

• JDM555

I know it was a disappointment to have your surgery put off...I'm sorry that happened to you. You are in my thoughts and prayers and will be on the other side of this soon. Ann

Hannamom
                              Daughter April had surgery July 13th, 2009 by Dr. David P Roye at Morgan Stanley Childrens Hospital. T2-L4
                              She's doing very well!!

Comment

• John...

Do you know who the new surgeon is?

--Linda
                                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                                X