Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Is there anything to do now besides rest?" You could sleep! That's about it for a few days, which is obviously going to be a little frustrating for you, haha! Aren't the drugs making you drowsy? Is your family there to keep you company while you try not to jump out of your skin?

You've certainly taken this surgery in your stride, I'm amazed. The heart rate should settle and they will keep an eye on it, so try not to worry. I am quite sure you're in good hands.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• John, I had the same problem with my heart rate. They ended up giving me two units of blood. I jumped to 160 also. Pain also maks it jump up. It settled down after a while, but I was worried about it also. I wanted to come home, but was scared they wanted to keep me there to monitor my heart rate.

rich

Comment

• ummm hummmph! didnt i tell you they would have to tie you down to stop you from doing too much...

rest, rest & more rest...the body uses energy to heal! and you have lots of healing to do! can you get a portable dvd player? watch some movies...listen to a book on tape...talk on the phone? seriously, sounds like you are hyper & feel like the equivalent of cabin fever! i know that feeling...the feeling that you need to do something but there is nothing you really need to do? hmmm..now might be a good time to take up meditation!!

hope you can get some sleep & save your energy for healing!

jess

Comment

• I'm so jealous! When I was in the hospital all I wanted to do was push the pain button and SLEEP!!! Even when I got back home, when I got on my blackberry to email I wasn't making much sense due to the pain meds.....I guess that's what 30 years will do for ya :-)
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

• I wonder if John has an epidural catheter. My pain control wasn't anywhere near enough for me to feel like typing (or anything else).

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Wow John, you are doing great! I wouldn't worry too much about the heartrate thing. Mine went up too, but it topped out at 190...and though I am a little overweight, I have a really good resting, and actually, really great active heartrate as well.
              PT does suck, but it helps everything in the long run. I know you feel like you should be doing something. Sleeping is good, I taught myself to crotchet just before the surgery, and after I got home to keep at least my hands busy (and my mind when I was just starting). I know most guys aren't really into crotcheting, but maybe there is another craft you can try. The library at my hospital also had a bunch of crafts and movies they could bring to me (let alone books). Maybe send a scout (ie. family) up there to check it out?
              25 years old
              double 70+ degree curves before surgery
              Anterior on 11/11/08
              Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
              nearly perfect correction
              fused t-10 to pelvis
              with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
              Broke left rod on 10/24/09
              Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
              Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
              Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

• Way to go, John! Keep up the good work. And know there will good and bad days. You only have to take it one day at a time. My blood pressure was low, very low. I passed out on the day before I was scheduled to go home. Didn't change a thing. Went home as planned. Just didn't do anything too fast, didn't want to pass out again!

Sleep and rest lots. That's when you heal. And you have a lot of healing ahead of you!
                Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

• John,

I really don't know you but you are an inspiration to me .

I am having surgery at the end of Feb/middle of March and I am so glad that I found this Forum.

People have been wonderful to me in answering my questions and all.

continue to get better and REST !!!

Melissa

Comment

• Ehhh I don't feel that great. Heart rate is over 115 resting. My pain is starting to get out of control. I got the iv taken out and ok om percocets which aren't making mr that comfortable. I am very lightheaded I can barely sleep on my back so I have to sleep on my side and both hips are killing me. Food is horrible and I feel like crap. Uhdjjjjdjjj I hate hospitals.

Comment

• John

There is a BIG difference between the injectables/iv and Percocet which you are seeing right now. I did the switch at home, and that was tough.The first day was hell. Its a good idea that they did that at the hospital with you.

Try to hang, its something that you will get through and believe that it will get better every day. Your body is going through major changes right now. Rapid healing takes energy, so keep eating, and try to sleep.

I feel that this stage is the hardest part of scoli recovery.

Are you completely hose free? Any drains?

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• John, I was the same way. Sleeping on my back would kill me becase of the pain. I would constantly toss and turn from my good side to my back. Elevating my legs helped a little. Moving in bed was horrible, especially if I wanted to move up or down. I just wanted to get home. On the third day, i forced myself to eat. My wife went to the cafeteria and got me some muffins. My nurse also said that I need to use the restroom before they would release me from the hospital. Everyday, it got easier.

rich

Comment

• Awwww John! I know its uncomfortable and my hips were extremely sore in the hospital and at home :{ And they did an additional EKG on my while I was in the hospital because of my heart rate going up too but its temporary. Your body is still in shock of what it went through. Hope you rest easy. Movies on laptops are good I fell asleep to a few in the hospital and my ipod helped too. Rest well + hang in there!
                          Maliha

Comment

• I feel so tired now. I stood up n sit back down three times my heart rate jumped up. I don't have drains in my back anymore and the guys said it looked very very good. Time for a nap.

Comment

• you are going through such a tough time now, john...i wonder if they can give you something at nite to sleep?...can you sleep OK with all that pain? i have not had surgery... yet.....& i have alot of lumbar pain! today i needed an oxycontin & 2 hydrocodone (10 mg), followed by another 2, just to be able to get up & function! i hope they give you enuf percocet!!

i know things will get easier day by day, with some tough days thrown in....but you are on the healing side now...so that means that 2010 will be a good year for you, cause you will just keep getting better & better as the year progresses!

rest & sleep...it takes alot of energy to heal!!

jess

Comment

• Get Better John!

You will get through this and may not even remember this part!!! Don't worry about your heart rate, it may do crazy things right now along with your blood pressure. Your body is just trying to adjust to the major changes going on . Ed is right, it is good to transition to oral pain meds while you are still in the hospital. I didn't until the day I went home and that was very tough to adjust to. I've never seen anyone with this much support before, during and after surgery!
                                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                                X