Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    oh gosh...i remember their ads on TV....they used to sing...
    something like "when your stomach hurts"...blah blah...don't remember the words.....
    "....take Brioschi, take Brioschi....." they sang and danced i think...a little like the
    Alka Seltzer man in the AS ads....
    maybe you can check online and see if you can still buy the stuff....

jess
    Lol, I don't remember their ads, but that stuff was great. It worked wonders for me, and it doesn't have any aspirin or tylenol or whatever. Just antacids for your stomach. Works for heartburn and upset stomach and all that, and it comes in unique form, so you can take whatever dosage you want. It was effective, hopefully I can find some in a local drug store.

Comment

• whoops...you read my post before i went back and edited to tell you
      their website has a list of stores, including Albertson's, Duane Reed and a lot
      of other stores

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM555 View Post
        I had another insanely painful BM this morning. I guess the stool softner I'm taking isn't working, because it's literally impossible sometimes. I had a slow day in the food, yet again. Woke up with small appetite and ate some plain yogurt with some sugar. Then in the afternoon some homemade chinese food, didn't eat too much cause I was worried my stomach wouldn't handle, and it was meh. Should be eating something else soon, but need to watch out what to eat for. I'll tell him about my stomach problems, BM, and pain levels changing when I get my staples removed on the 5th.

I think I need some anti-nausea and some effervescent alka-seltzer meds for my morning nausea and after meals stomach aches lol. Not enjoying this part of the recovery unfortunately.
        Just a thought. They sell premelted (liquid) glycerin suppositories (Wal-Mart carries them for sure). They are designed to make you go. But my thought is that, since your stools are so hard and I'm assuming dry (that makes them all the more painful), the glycerin might lube things up a bit so it doesn't hurt so bad. With the liquid form there's no having to actually touch yourself down there. Hope this isn't TMI, but this problem comes up a LOT on this forum. I'm thinking one a day for a little while until you get yourself empty enough to be passing normal stools. I had to use this on my youngest son who has borderline Hirschprung's Disease (congenigal megacolon). But, as always, make sure it's okay with your doctor. I hope you feel better soon!
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Glycerin

Those are great- liquid doesn't taste so good but it is effective. Stool softeners dud nothing fir me. The medication makes even jello or soup broth set up like concrete and stool softeners just delay the hardening by a few minutes. My daughter when she was born had a nodule inside her rectum that made movements painful. By the time she was 9 months old she learned to not go. By the time she was 2 I realized there must be a problem even though the dr's said she was fine. I ended up taking her to the medical college who diagnosed her immediately and said glycerin would solve the problem until she could have the nodule removed. Sure enough no matter how hard she tried to hold it she went. I hadn't thought of that when I was taking handfuls of magnesium and laxatives to relieve my own quickcrete issues. It made my back hurt and stomach sick from needing to go. I finally just quit the pain meds. The painful bowels were worse than the pain and discomfort of the surgery. Good luck to you and try to remember this can't last forever.

Comment

• Thanks for the tip. I got a hold of the office and asked about stomach aches. I need prune juice now, cause I want to try that out first. And the only "liquid" glycerin I could find wasn't a type you take by mouth. So I'm not sure if I'm not looking at the right one, but is there a by mouth, because that would be much better. Not a huge appetite again this morning, so not sure. Had some strawberry yogurt, but it's not feeling too good. I feel like I want to go to the bathroom, but yet again, it's hard and can't do much about it.

Comment

• Have a good serving of prune juice first thing when you wake up. That's a tip the private nurse that I used gave me in the hospital. She said it works better that way.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Warm Prune Juice

Yes, and heat it up a bit. Another tip from my home care nurse.
                50 years old!!!!!
                Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                Surgery 07/11/2011
                Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I just noticed Alka Seltzer has aspirin in it....really? That's new, didn't know it had any aspirin in it and now my stomach is upset, and I really want to take some, but I'm not allowed any NSAID and since it's so close to after surgery, I don't know what to do. Do you think taking 1 tablet will do much? I guess the best thing is to just ask the doctors office tomorrow. But these recent stomach aches are really pissing me off.
                  Hi John, Alka Seltzer has always had aspirin in it. Have you tried Pepcid or any of the other OTC meds for stomach upset? I couldn't live without my Pepcid. I take it daily. Also try some fiber tablets or Metamucil along with the stool softeners. You are in the toughest part of your recovery right now. I sure hope you feel better soon.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by debbei View Post
                    Have a good serving of prune juice first thing when you wake up. That's a tip the private nurse that I used gave me in the hospital. She said it works better that way.
                    I just noticed my mom bought me some prune juice yesterday, awesome mom lol. I'll do that right now! Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
                    Yes, and heat it up a bit. Another tip from my home care nurse.
                    I'll warm it up a bit, I don't think I'll be able to drink a hot prune juice, I'll barf lol. Thanks for the tip, I'll do that now.

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                    Hi John, Alka Seltzer has always had aspirin in it. Have you tried Pepcid or any of the other OTC meds for stomach upset? I couldn't live without my Pepcid. I take it daily. Also try some fiber tablets or Metamucil along with the stool softeners. You are in the toughest part of your recovery right now. I sure hope you feel better soon.
                    Sally
                    Yes, I guess I wasn't a huge fan of AS. I don't really use them, I use to use that Brioschi brand, and it was aspirin free and natural, so I think that's what I'm going for. Surprisingly, my stomach doesn't feel amazing, but it also doesn't feel bad, I think the stomach aches are getting better, or maybe I'm just eating better food.

Last night I had a craving, and I couldn't ignore it. I went and got 2 hamburgers from In N Out. Lol, I haven't had any food outside the house in weeks, I ate both and didn't have any problems with stomach aches or anything.

And I called 2 Costco's, Handful of Rite Aids, Walgreens, and they all said they don't have generic oxycontin, I have no idea why it's disappearing from so many stores. My best bet is to get a prescription for 10mg and have Costco order generic for me, and wait a few days. I think I'm ready to take 1 or 2 10mg's instead of 1 20mg a day and some percocets. I had only 2 percocets last night, and I walked a lot outside. Walking was very refreshing, and the weather wasn't too bad last night around 5. Got fresh air and what not, I can't stand not showering though.

Comment

• BTW, can you believe one more week and I'm 1 month post-op? I can't believe how fast these weeks are flying by. I still feel like I just got home and I'm waiting for Thanksgiving to come lol. Insane.

Comment

• Glad that you are doing so well
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Thanks Melissa!

Oh boy Oh boy, where was prune juice all these previous weeks when I had painful BM's lol. What a DIFFERENCE! I can't believe a warm cup filled 2/3rd's of the way can do. Thanks for the morning, empty stomach and warmed up tips ladies.

Comment

• I"m so glad it worked for you. When I was on the narcotics, I had my morning shot (more like 6 oz) of prune juice every day! I swear I almost got to liking it. My mom was staying with me at the time, and she even made me stewed prunes (sounds disgusting doesn't it?) that I sometimes ate over plain yogurt. At the TIME I loved it. Not so sure I'd go near it now! LOL

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Yes, big big difference. Thanks a lot for the tip. It's all good, but I don't know what I did yesterday lol, my whole entire left side of my body is killing me. My ankle hurts, up to my quad, my left hip, the left incision, and my whole back incision is all on fire. I don't know why, but I had the worst sleep in the recovery so far last night, definitely need a nap this afternoon. I hope this is just a temporary thing, cause the pain isn't helping. I'll take an oxycodone after I grab a small breakfast and hopefully it will allow me to sleep a nice few hours in the afternoon. Horrible sleep, HORRIBLE!

Comment

And I called 2 Costco's, Handful of Rite Aids, Walgreens, and they all said they don't have generic oxycontin, I have no idea why it's disappearing from so many stores. My best bet is to get a prescription for 10mg and have Costco order generic for me, and wait a few days. I think I'm ready to take 1 or 2 10mg's instead of 1 20mg a day and some percocets. I had only 2 percocets last night, and I walked a lot outside. Walking was very refreshing, and the weather wasn't too bad last night around 5. Got fresh air and what not, I can't stand not showering though.
                                John, There have been reports on the news of shortages of many drugs. Oxycontin though, that would be horrible if that were the case. I thought it was mostly cancer drugs and drugs for rare diseases. I hope you can get the generic since it is so much cheaper.
                                Sally
                                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                                X