Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John. I am so glad you are on the healing side but sorry your stomach is touchy. I couldn't keep food down either so I called my Doctor and he had me come in for some tests. I think they kind of worry about the gall bladder, but all my tests were normal, so back home on bumpy streets I went. I won't give you any advice about what to eat. I just ate small meals of whatever sounded good to me at the time. My all time favorite when my stomach is touchy is homemade egg custard. It is very easy to make in the microwave. I hope you feel better soon.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• I had another insanely painful BM this morning. I guess the stool softner I'm taking isn't working, because it's literally impossible sometimes. I had a slow day in the food, yet again. Woke up with small appetite and ate some plain yogurt with some sugar. Then in the afternoon some homemade chinese food, didn't eat too much cause I was worried my stomach wouldn't handle, and it was meh. Should be eating something else soon, but need to watch out what to eat for. I'll tell him about my stomach problems, BM, and pain levels changing when I get my staples removed on the 5th.

I think I need some anti-nausea and some effervescent alka-seltzer meds for my morning nausea and after meals stomach aches lol. Not enjoying this part of the recovery unfortunately.

Comment

• John,

I hope that things improve for you soon

You are in my prayers
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
          John,

I hope that things improve for you soon

You are in my prayers
          Thanks. Check your email btw. I appreciate the prayers, you've always remembered me throughout this whole process, I've kept you in mine too! I hope you're recovery well.

Comment

• I just noticed Alka Seltzer has aspirin in it....really? That's new, didn't know it had any aspirin in it and now my stomach is upset, and I really want to take some, but I'm not allowed any NSAID and since it's so close to after surgery, I don't know what to do. Do you think taking 1 tablet will do much? I guess the best thing is to just ask the doctors office tomorrow. But these recent stomach aches are really pissing me off.

Comment

• John

I would call or e-mail your surgeon and tell him what’s up with the situation right away. See what he says. Ask for a diet. You might have to break out the prune juice. Orange juice and apple juice are other options.

I don’t think he will approve of Alka Seltzer. I know the docs don’t approve of x-lax. I was told never to use it.....to use Mag Citrate. It would be great if you could ask about Castor oil.....

Like Sally said, eating small amounts every hour or two is key. If you make a mistake its not too bad if you have to vomit. I always drank plenty of water to dilute acids after vomiting. Walking and also chewing gum will help.

If you do a bombing with the Magnesium Citrate, after you go, you will need to replenish elecrolytes, I would sip on pedialyte. I was totally wasted after I did this. I felt like a 12 volt car battery with 1 volt in it.

You can see why I quit cold turkey. I couldn’t take it anymore. Once I quit, all the problems stopped.

Hang in there.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• There are alternatives to AlkaSeltzer that do not have anti-inflammatory properties. You might want to simply ask your druggist. Pepto Bismal is what first comes to my mind.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  There are alternatives to AlkaSeltzer that do not have anti-inflammatory properties. You might want to simply ask your druggist. Pepto Bismal is what first comes to my mind.
                  Yes, thought there had to be other stomach relievers without aspirin, I was surprised, I didn't know AS had it, I'll call and see what the doctor recommends, but it sounds like PB is going to be my new best friend.

Hmm....it also relieves diarrhea, which isn't exactly something I need at the moment. And I read someone saying it acts as anti-inflammatory by one of it's acid ingredients, idk. I'll just call and see what's going on, there has to be something.
                  Last edited by JDM555; 12-01-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• John, it sounds like Ed is right...prune juice might be a necessity...
                    also, sugar can change constipation, but it should be a last resort...
                    chocolate cookies have been known to keep people in the bathroom...
                    i suggest you stay away from pasta...maybe if you can eat a little rice
                    with lots of vegetables...?
                    have you had a chance to try smoothies of any kind yet....?

the doctor could prescribe a pill for stomach pain i would think, if he wanted
                    to go that way....i used to take a pill that melted and coated my stomach....
                    called Carafate...it became an over the counter...it worked
                    well for stomach pain, but i don't know about if it contributed to
                    constipation or not....it was very soothing...
                    have you searched the internet, or is time on the computer hard on your
                    spine right now?

hope the body discomfort gets easier every day....

jess

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      John, it sounds like Ed is right...prune juice might be a necessity...
                      also, sugar can change constipation, but it should be a last resort...
                      chocolate cookies have been known to keep people in the bathroom...
                      i suggest you stay away from pasta...maybe if you can eat a little rice
                      with lots of vegetables...?
                      have you had a chance to try smoothies of any kind yet....?

the doctor could prescribe a pill for stomach pain i would think, if he wanted
                      to go that way....i used to take a pill that melted and coated my stomach....
                      called Carafate...it became an over the counter...it worked
                      well for stomach pain, but i don't know about if it contributed to
                      constipation or not....it was very soothing...
                      have you searched the internet, or is time on the computer hard on your
                      spine right now?

hope the body discomfort gets easier every day....

jess

Yes, I think prune juice is something I'm going to have to get. I'll call the office after their lunch break and ask all these questions. If your saying sugar contributes to bathroom, then does candy count? I've kept some candy for after meals, so I think I'm good in the sugar department. I have been passing gas fine, so I think my digestive system is working slightly better in that department, but it's just the upset stomachs and no appetite in the morning. I barely finished breakfast, and it wasn't much. Just something to allow me to take my medication.

I'm not suppose to be sitting too much because I guess my spacers in L1-L3 have no hardware holding them, just small pins, and he said something about it putting too much pressure by sitting down. I sit on a computer chair with a pillow behind me, and kind of have it lean back so it takes the pressure off the bottom of my spine, and acts as if I'm laying in bed, but it still causes some pain. So I switch off and lay in bed a bit every now and then.

I'll check out carafate, because it sounds good. Prune juice for the BM and something for the damn upset stomach because it seems after any normal sized meal, my stomach just hurts. I'm at like 10 tablets of 20mg oxycontin left and 1 10mg left, and have like 30-35 percocets. I don't know why, but pharmacies are saying they don't have "generic" versions of oxycontin, so it's like $200 for 60 20mg tablets lol. Anyone have any idea which pharmacy might have generic oxycontins?

Comment

• BTW, are you sure it's called Carafate? Doesn't look like a stomach ache reliever, or I don't think it is at least lol.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/carafate.html
                        Last edited by JDM555; 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• i just looked up Carafate, without going to a drug.com site, and it says it treats
                          ulcers and reduces stomach acid, etc.....so i do not know if it could help you,
                          but it might be worth a try...why not ask your doctor is it might help with
                          stomach aches...
                          it is also called SUCRALFATE and can cause constipation in 1 out of every 50 patients....
                          i do not know if that rules it out for you...BUT...one of the website that was not by the drug manufacturer called it a "unique" drug...it "binds" to the stomach lining to protect it...

hope the doctor has some helpful ideas for you....

jess
                          Last edited by jrnyc; 12-01-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Hi John,

If Alka Seltzer helps your stomach there is a non-aspirin formula of it, made with acetaminophen (tylenol) instead of aspirin. Just make sure you don't exceed the daily maximum dose of acetaminophen (around 3000 mg).

I really doubt if one dose of aspirin will hurt your healing fusion.

It sounds like you need a new pharmacy...oxycontin should be very cheap and readily available generic. You can call and ask them to order it (it comes in within one day), or else call around to places like Walgreens, Rite Aid, Safeway pharmacy, Costco if you belong, etc, the large discount chain pharmacies and inquire if they have it or can get it. You should really be able to get it cheaply without difficulty.

Good luck,
                            Gayle, age 50
                            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                              Hi John,

If Alka Seltzer helps your stomach there is a non-aspirin formula of it, made with acetaminophen (tylenol) instead of aspirin. Just make sure you don't exceed the daily maximum dose of acetaminophen (around 3000 mg).

I really doubt if one dose of aspirin will hurt your healing fusion.

It sounds like you need a new pharmacy...oxycontin should be very cheap and readily available generic. You can call and ask them to order it (it comes in within one day), or else call around to places like Walgreens, Rite Aid, Safeway pharmacy, Costco if you belong, etc, the large discount chain pharmacies and inquire if they have it or can get it. You should really be able to get it cheaply without difficulty.

Good luck,
                              I knew there had to be a non-aspirin formula of it, it does help. But even better than AS, my dad use to buy that effervescent medicine from Costco, it came in little small white bits in a white bottle with blue cap, no idea what the name is. But just having that carbonation drink really helps your stomach when it's upset. With my percocets, that have 325mg tylenol, I'm no where near 3000mg, I think max I take 3, MAYBE 4 if I'm in severe pain additional to the oxycontin a day.

That's what I was thinking about 1 dose of the aspirin AS last night, but whatever, I stuck it out. Tonight there's soup, and I'm doing great in the stomach department. I had a nice nap too, so I don't think I'll be having problems tonight with pain.

And that's exactly what I thought, but it was Walgreen's that told me they were out and it was like discontinued, and they stopped producing it and blah blah. Oxycontin is like the most famous and commonly used pain medication, so I have no idea where the pharmacist was getting that info. I'll call around and see where else to find it, because I'm running low. I think the prescription is 60 20mg, I think I can wean off and start using 10mg, even if it's spread out, 1 in morning and 1 at night is better than 1 20mg in the morning and nothing at night. I might have to wait till monday to get a new prescription for the 10mg from my doctor. Thanks for the help on that many pharmacies. I forgot about Costco. I'll make a few calls tomorrow.

Searched and found the name, it was Brioschi. Blue bottle with white cap, I was close. That stuff was amazing. I don't think it has aspirin, it's an all natural type of effervescent. I haven't seen this stuff at Costco in years though, definitely want this in my pantry asap lol.
                              Last edited by JDM555; 12-01-2011, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• oh gosh...i remember their ads on TV....they used to sing...
                                something like "when your stomach hurts"...blah blah...don't remember the words.....
                                "....take Brioschi, take Brioschi....." they sang and danced i think...a little like the
                                Alka Seltzer man in the AS ads....

i checked online...they sell Brioschi all over...the company website listed a whole
                                bunch of stores where you can buy the stuff, including Albertson's, Duane Reed,
                                and LOTS of other places!

jess
                                Last edited by jrnyc; 12-02-2011, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X