Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks. No need to apologize. Starting a new thread or two for specific reasons is fine, but starting over 5 and not having a valid reason for doing so, becomes a little annoying.

Comment

• Wow John - this is an amazing read - quite a journey for you over the past few years. I'm so sorry for you but have hopeful expectations of your revision being a total success. 11-11-11 will be a great day in your life.
      I stumbled on this while searching for "picetti". Read it from start to finish & it's given me quite an insight as to what my son will deal w going into surgery as well as recuperation time. I'm so glad it was all in one thread, tho I've got to be honest I had to stop reading several times as I felt I was going to pass out just being overwhelmed at your pain & knowing how freaking major this surgery really is & what is upcoming for my 14yo son. You've given us a lot of food for thought, things to expect, as well as some good ideas on small and large preparations to make from your experience. BTW, Jacob'll be T3-L2 on Jan 9; just heard the word surgery last week for the first time. He's coming up w more q's, esp in regards to the pain after, & we try to answer all his q's honestly but also not to surround him w this all & he def is becoming a little freaked out.
      Best of luck to you Friday - you'll be in my prayers!
      Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
      Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
      Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
      Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
      photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

• Originally posted by LSKOCH5 View Post
        Wow John - this is an amazing read - quite a journey for you over the past few years. I'm so sorry for you but have hopeful expectations of your revision being a total success. 11-11-11 will be a great day in your life.
        I stumbled on this while searching for "picetti". Read it from start to finish & it's given me quite an insight as to what my son will deal w going into surgery as well as recuperation time. I'm so glad it was all in one thread, tho I've got to be honest I had to stop reading several times as I felt I was going to pass out just being overwhelmed at your pain & knowing how freaking major this surgery really is & what is upcoming for my 14yo son. You've given us a lot of food for thought, things to expect, as well as some good ideas on small and large preparations to make from your experience. BTW, Jacob'll be T3-L2 on Jan 9; just heard the word surgery last week for the first time. He's coming up w more q's, esp in regards to the pain after, & we try to answer all his q's honestly but also not to surround him w this all & he def is becoming a little freaked out.
        Best of luck to you Friday - you'll be in my prayers!
        You read the whole thread? That's very impressive! Lol. It's longgggg. Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it. I can't believe 2 more days lol. Good luck with Jacob. That curve is a little higher than mine, which is good. Try to avoid going down low in lumbar section. Sticking to L2, while fixing the curve is the best thing you can do. But if there is still more curving down there, go to L3 to straighten it out. I'm sure you read my situation regarding curvature of L4 and either extending or not. Avoid extending as much as you can. I'm sure your son will do great, at 14, he's still young and healthy and should be out of the hospital in no time. Tell him to check out many of the scoliosis stories on YouTube, a lot of kids around that age (13-17) post up videos of their recovery and it would help him to see what's going on. I can't stress this enough, see many doctors to get opinions, don't go to the first opinion and say let's do it unless it's someone like Dr. Lenke or Boachie, but just get many opinions. Learn and research yourself, and be well informed on what's going on with your sons back, so you and the surgeon can come to an agreement. Never just agree with the surgeon and say he's always right, because these surgeries aren't a simple fix, and there is no "right" answer, it depends on your surgeons preferences. You have to find the best answer and pick one with your son. Good luck.

BTW, now I can start the countdown in hours lol. Around 44.5 hours till check in haha.

Comment

• Keeping you in my prayers, John. You lucky duck to have a countdown of less than 48 hours. Hmmm, lets see, my countdown is T- 8 months, 3 weeks and 1 day. :-)

Warmly,
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Heh. It's not soon enough. I want to get it over with. The days are flying by though, so that's good. Before I know it, it'll be time for lunch, then dinner, then bedtime, and repeat 1 more time, and I'm done. The rest will be chillin' in bed with dilaudid helping me relax lol. I'm trying to fix my laptop so hopefully I can have something to do while there, but it's not looking too good lol. Stuck with iPhone.

Comment

• Que Annie: "Tomorrow!"

Really big day. Are you packed and ready to go?
              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Good luck, man. Let us know how it all went when you can!

B
                Billy
                32 year old male from UK
                Fused at 25yrs
                62 degree thoratic curve
                45 degree lumbar curve
                Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Comment

• Packed? I didn't pack anything lol. I'm local, so no need to bring a lot of stuff with me. Just going to go in PJ's and lay on the table and nap till they put me under. I'm trying to fix my laptop so I can have something to do while in bed, but I'm not sure if it'll be working by tonight. I'm excited, and can't believe it's already Thursday afternoon, few more hours and I should be getting a confirmation call from the hospital, and before I know it, I'll be ready to sleep to wake up at 5:30AM for my big day. I'll try my best to update this thread and let you guys know how it goes, just please keep me in your prayers tonight and tomorrow that I have a good and quick recovery. Thanks again everyone.
                  John

Comment

• I am not the preying (okay, I'm being lighthearted here, lol) type John, but will definitely be thinking of you tomorrow and I am sure you will have a fine outcome. Looking forward to updates asap. :-)
                    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck John.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• I appreciate it Debbie and Elisa. Can't believe it's already here. Went by quick got to say. Only like 15 hours to go lol.

Comment

• i am sure you will stay in the thoughts and prayers of many people...
                          i am just one of them...
                          hope you can get some rest tonite...

best wishes for a smooth procedure and uneventful healing....

jess

Comment

• Thanks everyone. It's finally here. Night before surgery, I'm starting to feel a hair nervous lol. More excited than nervous. Like a little kid going to disneyland and just counting down the days. But check in's at 6:30 and confirmed it just now on the phone. Hopefully all will go well and by 5-6-7PM I'll be able to post up saying how I'm doing.

Wish me luck guys. I appreciate everything!

Comment

• John,
                              Thinking of you....onward....ever onward....you have found your path...

"Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward." -Henry Ford

Can't wait to read your post tomorrow or the next day! How awesome to have your big day be 11-11-11!
                              Kathy
                              Kathy
                              46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                              71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                              8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                              http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

• John
                                Woah! Time sure passes quickly.....and your surgery is already tomorrow!

Wishing you the best, you deserve it.

Post when you can.
                                Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X