Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Male. Scoliosis Progressing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John--
    It sounds like you have all your duck in a row and are ready to go. Very best of luck to you with the surgery. Anxious to hear about a great recovery! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Good luck John! I agree with Jess, you sound a lot more patient that before your first surgery - a lot more mature. You have learned to make lemonade from lemons. You will be in my prayers.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
        Good luck John! I agree with Jess, you sound a lot more patient that before your first surgery - a lot more mature. You have learned to make lemonade from lemons. You will be in my prayers.
        Sally
        Well as both John and I learned the hard way way, picking the correct surgeon is so important and critical to the success of this type of surgery
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Yes. Much more mature because I understand the seriousness of this surgery. It's easy to search up a random surgeon in your area, go and have him basically do what he wants, and then schedule surgery and pretend it's a walk in the park. That's what I did the first surgery, because I was young and stupid. But the past 2 years in recovery, really showed me how important it means to be mature and knowledgeable on what caused my first surgery to go bad, and what I need to do to fix it. Been through many surgeons and asks for a bucketload of opinions, but in the end, found a solid surgeon with a solid plan, and everything will work out this time. I'm not as anxious to jump into surgery and I'm calm because I'm confident in the choices I made and the surgeons/staff I picked. It'll work out, and in no time I'll be on road to recovery.

I have to break my previous record. I was able to post back once on the day of my surgery, later in the evening. Let's see if I can post TWO times the day of this surgery! Lol
          Last edited by JDM555; 11-03-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Hi John,

You sound calm and ready--I will be anxiously awaiting those first posts! You're a pretty amazing guy.

Good luck, we will all be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts.

Take care,
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• John

Hey! You are far from stupid. Delete that word from the post, and your mind!

Picking surgeons and decision making on surgeries are THE hardest things we do in our lives! Think of this as a little setback, you will be doing just fine after your recovery.

You’re an experienced sailor now. Rough seas are part of that program and snapping masts happens rounding the horn.....Captain Bligh turned around and sailed all the way around the world....sometimes this has to be done. The Pacific lies ahead and that means smooth sailing. Are you ready for Tahiti?

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                Hi John,

You sound calm and ready--I will be anxiously awaiting those first posts! You're a pretty amazing guy.

Good luck, we will all be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts.

Take care,
                Thanks. I am a lot more calm this time for sure. I remember I was really anxious and nervous the first time, and just wanted to do what I had to do to be pain free. Just followed what the doctor said lol. This time, I'm following what the doctor and I agreed on, and I know exactly what's going on, so I'm just waiting patiently for the day to come. Only 1 more week. Past month flew by .

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                John

Hey! You are far from stupid. Delete that word from the post, and your mind!

Picking surgeons and decision making on surgeries are THE hardest things we do in our lives! Think of this as a little setback, you will be doing just fine after your recovery.

You’re an experienced sailor now. Rough seas are part of that program and snapping masts happens rounding the horn.....Captain Bligh turned around and sailed all the way around the world....sometimes this has to be done. The Pacific lies ahead and that means smooth sailing. Are you ready for Tahiti?

Ed
                Lol. I'm saying first time I had the surgery I was stupid. I just called Stanford and asked for an appointment with a spine surgeon regarding scoliosis, and Ivan Cheng was the first guy. I just went and didn't research or read up, just came on here and complained lol, then did exactly what he said. Hell, I didn't even know what bonegraft he used until last week. No patient should ever do that. Big mistake.

Lol at the sailor analogy. Thanks Ed. I appreciate the kind words. I'm not worried about this surgery, it'll go by easily. I just feel for my parents to be waiting for 8-10 hours for each surgery lol.

Comment

• . I just feel for my parents to be waiting for 8-10 hours for each surgery lol.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. My July surgery was 15 hours long and September was 7 hours and that is what this should be be
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• This is definitely one of the epic threads! It helps people so see the entire arc in one piece. I wish I had done that with my daughters' cases instead of starting new threads.

That positive attitude will speed your recovery. I admire that.

Good luck, John. :-)
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Yes. It's a huge thread lol. I don't like starting many threads for the same topic, just wanted to keep it in one thread. People sent me PM's saying I should start new threads cause the thread is too long?? Lol.

Wedding was cool. Weather was meh, getting a little colder in the Bay Area. Had a fun time, and I ended up drinking a little more than planned lol. It was open bar and I'm 21, can't blame me. It was weird though, I felt a little buzz, then ate dinner and stopped drinking, then few hours later, I was getting a headache and sobered up, as if I got my hangover the same night lol. Felt fine this morning and just got home. Back wasn't feeling too great from the hour drive to and from the hotel. Only 5 more days. Time went by crazy fast. Can't believe it, just felt like last week when I said "Only 5 more weeks to go!" lol.

Comment

• Good to hear you had a great time at the wedding; knew you would.

You can practically count your surgery date now in hours! You better post here asap young Jedi as we will be checking this thread constantly. And, I like that everything is in one thread otherwise I would not have had the 'whole' story. I don't like starting threads either and that's why I kept my son's story all on one. I was starting to think that my thread might be getting too long too but I will keep it going until he is one year post op and then probably end it there, but you never know. ;-)
                        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                          Good to hear you had a great time at the wedding; knew you would.

You can practically count your surgery date now in hours! You better post here asap young Jedi as we will be checking this thread constantly. And, I like that everything is in one thread otherwise I would not have had the 'whole' story. I don't like starting threads either and that's why I kept my son's story all on one. I was starting to think that my thread might be getting too long too but I will keep it going until he is one year post op and then probably end it there, but you never know. ;-)
                          Young Jedi hehe. Lol, trust me, I'll be posting as soon as I can in this thread. Hopefully same night, I'll be up and hanging out, and if I'm too tired from surgery, I'll make a quick post on my iphone like I did last surgery. But I'm sure the following 3 days between surgeries, since I won't be forced to walk around by PT, I'll be up and bored, so will have a laptop and just hanging out online. It's too early to count in hours lol. I'm not super anxious and nervous, but I'm kind of starting to get that "excited" feeling like a little kid going to Disneyland or something lol. Haha

Comment

• I actually like the long thread. If someone is looking to read someone's entire story, it's a whole lot easier than having to look at 25 different threads.
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                              I actually like the long thread. If someone is looking to read someone's entire story, it's a whole lot easier than having to look at 25 different threads.
                              Lol. I was waiting for you to comment on this. I know you're like me, I can't stand when 1 person starts 10 new threads a day. Haha

Comment

• I'll keep that in mind, as I just started a new thread. It has a lot of redundant information, but I wanted to ask someone a specific question so thought that was the only way to get their attention. Wishing you all the best on your surgery, JDM!
                                Be happy!
                                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X