No announcement yet.

Professions & Careers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am currently a PhD student studying Public Health. I also worked in the government for a little while as a health scientist after I completed two master degrees. I guess you can say I am a professional student! lol.

Best,
    Simone

Fused May 11th 2009 T5 to L1.
    Home recovering well!

Comment

I am an executive assistant to an Oklahoma State Senator. He is truly "one of the good guys" and has been incredibly understanding about my back issues and time off. I'm very fortunate!
      Becky, 46 years old
      Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
      Ignored until 448/07
      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
      Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
      Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
      Fused T-10 to L-5
      14 titanium pedicle screws
      Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
      Email

Comment

I think TiEd's post and photo are hysterical, and CD, I love your post, too. That was funny about what the moms say about being on the side of the road! Isn't being a parent really the most important and challenging job we can have? I found becoming a parent showed me a whole new dimension of love, and, of worry.

Besides being a parent, I am an RN. I worked for 10 years in Critical Care, then 7 in Interventional Cardiology, with 3 years in Endoscopy thrown in. I am now happy to be back in Interventional Cardiology and Radiology. Nursing is really a great career with a lot of flexibility (although not always easy on the back-haha). Jimbo, I wish you well in your studies.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I work at a top 10 Fortune 500 Insurance Company managing succession needs and identifying talent for the organization.

To help give eveyone hope, I went back to work 9 weeks post-op part time. I am now back to work full time and am almost 3 months post-op.

This surgery has changed my life for the better! I pray to God everything continues to heal well!

Comment

I am an office manager for a general dentist and I own and operate a private piano studio in our home.
            Sheree
            Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
            Had two children
            Back started hurting more around age 52
            Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
            Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
            Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
            Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
            My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Comment

I have worked in the deaf education field for 34 years in various areas ranging from a dorm mom to Jr. High girls and boys to a fitness trainer to students and staff for the last 5 years. I made a drastic career change at the age of 50 and became centified as a personal trainer. Oh by the way I was Ed T's personal body building coach..he wanted to buff up a little !!! I dearly love my job and hope I can return to work in Aug. and continue to do my job well. My surgery was 5 weeks ago and so far I'm doing amazingly well.
              A great thread!!
              Kat

54 yrs. young
              T-33 degree curve
              L-53 degree curve
              Surgery (sacrum-T 10) with Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis Mo.
              on May 12 th 2009 and on the mend!!

Comment

Hello All,
                I am a Medical Transcriptionist locally having been so for 25+ years...
                Thanks.
                Rita Thompson
                Age 46
                Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                  I retired from teaching June '08--mostly 7th and 8th grade English but had upper grades a few years too--after 34 and 1/2 years of teaching. Janet
                  All I can say is god bless you for investing your time and energy in to teaching our youth! I am a firm believer that our teachers are far to under paid!
                  Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                  50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                  Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                  X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                  Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                  Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                  Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I was a personal trainer up until 5 years ago when my scoliosis started to progress and the pain made me pursue another line of work for a while to give my back a rest. I had a client who sold time share here in Virginia Beach so I gave that a try for 2 years before my back took me out of that as well! Hopefully if all goes well with recovery the personal training industry will see me again. I loved loved loved it! I regret accepting the pain for so long.
                    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Susan--What a sweetheart you are! I appreciate your kind words. I think more often people think we're crazy to deal with that age--probably some truth there too! I sure hope your recovery is such that you can return to the job you love as a personal trainer. Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Good luck Susan. It's so special to have a vocation that you love.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My daughter is scheduled for surgery in less than 3 weeks. She is 15 and wants to be a large animal veterinarian specializing in horses. I wonder what her odds are of making this one come true with her scoliosis. Our vet said that large animal care is very physically demanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Christl View Post
                            My daughter is scheduled for surgery in less than 3 weeks. She is 15 and wants to be a large animal veterinarian specializing in horses. I wonder what her odds are of making this one come true with her scoliosis. Our vet said that large animal care is very physically demanding.
                            Once scoliosis is stabilized I don't know why she can't do that.

With that said, I know first-hand and from speaking to folks that there is a certain attrition rate in large animal practice with folks working with horses. I personally lost a great vet who said she was just burned out going out on colic cases at 3:00 AM in sub-zero weather to tube a horse, etc. She told me she was taking a break from her career as she was stringing a shoe-lace-type string through two holes in my horse's face to keep the drainage open for a few days.

I suspect unless they have their own practice and have enough clients, the pay, especially at first, simply doesn't justify the amount and type of work involved. And that's a kick in the teeth when it is far harder to get a slot in vet school than in med school.

I don't know about the attrition rate for large animal vets who don't work with horses but I suspect it might be similar.

My fused daughter wants to be a vet with an exotics emphasis and work at a zoo. Very competitive.

My other daughter wants to be a PhD scientist. MUCH less competitive and likely pays more even to start and is less physically demanding in general.
                            Last edited by Pooka1; 06-17-2009, 07:05 AM.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Christl View Post
                              Hi Christi...

The only thing I would be concerned about is the fact that she may have to routinely lift a lot of weight. Since something like 85% of adults will have at least one episode of back pain in their lives, it's probably pretty close to 100% for people with scoliosis. Routinely having to lift a lot of weight can be hard on one's back. My recommendation would be to see if you can get her into a routine of core strengthening exercises that can limit potential problems.

Regards,
                              Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Christl,

My veterinarian appears to have had scoliosis surgery at some point in her life although I have never actually asked her to confirm this. I would say she is in her mid-thirties to early forties. She walks very straight and stiff and one shoulder hangs lower than the other. The other shoulder is at the normal position.

She is an absolutely lovely and wonderful vet and I ask for her specifically when I bring my dogs in. Unfortunately, my dogs are quite big and need to be checked on the ground and not on the exam table. And on top of that, both my dogs will lie down on their side to get a belly rub when she comes near. She has to sit on a chair and then try to lean down to them, all the while complaining of her bad back. Perhaps she has a very long fusion or other problems, but if she’s typical, I have a hard time imagining her being able to get down beside large animals on the ground and doing anything more than a quick exam. I can’t imagine her dealing with a difficult birth, for instance.

However, perhaps you could speak with your daughter’s surgeon, he would probably know better than anyone, as he would know the length of the fusion, etc. When our original surgeon was talking about surgery for my daughter, I asked about a professional ballet career after surgery, and he said he didn’t want to crush anyone’s dreams, but he felt a professional ballerina would need all the flexibility in her spine in order for her to be one. He said if she’d just chosen professional tennis as her love, she’d be fine.

Anyhow, good luck to her, hopefully she’ll be fine being a large animal vet, but at least it’s something to consider and ask more questions about.

Comment

Working...
                                X