• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• louise_23
    replied
    Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
    Hi Louise

Here is a dermatome map...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatome_(anatomy)

You can see that any symptoms in the feet or legs can originate from L5, (Yellow band) S1 (Red band) and also L4 (Red dots) which is below your fusion mass. Degeneration and nerve root impingement in the lowest lumbar levels under scoliosis fusion masses is something that can happen to us. It can happen without fusion, and it can happen without scoliosis.

How numb do you get? 1-10 scale?

Did you make it to Machu Picchu?

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply would this kind of thing show on an MRI? Reading my notes from my MRI a few years ago it said there was degenerative change in L5/S1 with dehydration and marked loss of height - no idea what that means though. The notes say there is no obvious relation between the scan and my symptoms so it's confusing. The numbness is always there now, it's probably around 6. I can still feel but it's like a loss of sensation down my leg and I have lost my ankle reflex also on the right side.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to Machu Picchu due to the pandemic, I'm hoping to still make it there. I have rearranged it for October but will have to see what happens I guess!!

Louise

Leave a comment:

• titaniumed
    replied
    Hi Louise

Here is a dermatome map...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatome_(anatomy)

You can see that any symptoms in the feet or legs can originate from L5, (Yellow band) S1 (Red band) and also L4 (Red dots) which is below your fusion mass. Degeneration and nerve root impingement in the lowest lumbar levels under scoliosis fusion masses is something that can happen to us. It can happen without fusion, and it can happen without scoliosis.

How numb do you get? 1-10 scale?

Did you make it to Machu Picchu?

Ed

Leave a comment:

• louise_23
    replied
    Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
    Hello and hope you can find your answer. The only test I know of that you haven't mentioned is a myelogram. I have a condition called arachnoiditis, it is similar for me and is only manageable but not curable. The condition was found through the myelogram
    Thanks for your reply Jackie, I appreciate it. I'm planning on going back to my Dr to see what (if anything) else test wise can be done. It's just exhausting and it's getting me down. Apart from this I've been doing really well post surgery. I just hate not knowing the cause.

Leave a comment:

• jackieg412
    replied
    Hello and hope you can find your answer. The only test I know of that you haven't mentioned is a myelogram. I have a condition called arachnoiditis, it is similar for me and is only manageable but not curable. The condition was found through the myelogram

Leave a comment:

• louise_23
    started a topic Leg Numbness post surgery

Leg Numbness post surgery

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well

I had scoliosis surgery around 10 years ago now for fairly severe adolescent idiopathic scoliosis when I was 24. I had a double "S" curve of around 80 degrees pre surgery, which was corrected by around 50-60%. I have largely been pleased with the results of my surgery and went on to do many amazing things post recovery. However, in the last few years I have developed numbness down my right leg, that wasn't there before. I don't have pain at all, it's just numb down my leg and into my toes. It's been that way for years now. Since developing these symptoms, I have had nerve conduction tests, blood tests and MRI scans of my head and whole spine to investigate. My original surgeon has looked at the scans, as well as a neurologist. They have said that based on the scans, they don't know the cause of this numbness, as there is nothing that would cause this showing on the scans and that I just have to live with it. It causes me great anxiety because I don't know the cause or if it will get worse and it's there all the time. I have other numb patches on my body, most of my back is numb from the surgery. I also have a numb patch on my stomach which I'm not 100% sure has always been there or not. Anyway I suppose I just wondered if anyone else had experiences like this? Part of me thinks it surely must be something to do with my back and my surgery but I just don't know.

Louise X
Working...
X