Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
    Susan,
    One of the most painful places to get a tat is on the back (and on ribs). My first tat is on my back, took 5 hours and hurt worse than child birth. If your back is numb from the surgery (mine still is at almost 2 years post op), a tat might not hurt so much. Two more tats on my horizon: a cross with watercolor splashes around it and an arrow when I compete at the Paralympics.
    Doreen, you are awesome and such an inspiration! Let us know about your progress in entering the Paralympics!

I remember the tat on your back from your blog which was so well done and helped me better understand what you and your family went through for the spinal surgery. Susan
    Last edited by susancook; 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM.
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Handicapped motorcycle license plate

Originally posted by back2life View Post
      But here is my 2 cents...what are your thoughts on the whole handicap stickers these days. We have a friend who rides motorcycle and has one even for his motorcycle. Come on!!! I cannot agree to that. There are plenty of times I have wanted to apply for one but 9 times out of 10 there is never a parking spot where we go anyway. My friend with cancer seems to never find a spot. Do you think it's being over used or finally being given to those who need it? I don't know, I feel it is being taken advantage of in way to many situations.

Here's another viewpoint:

My husband has a handicapped license plate on his motorcycle. After 2 'failed' knee replacements & severe spinal stenosis, he can ride because of his position on the motorcycle, but his ability to walk is extremely limited. It seems ironic to have a handicapped motorcycle plate, but it has been extremely helpful when we've gone to places where he would not have been able to walk from a normal parking spot. He carries a folding cane for short distances. I'm glad this option has been available to him! Unfortunately, we just totaled our bike, so the next purchase might be a trike after my recovery.
      Peg
      61 yrs old
      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Handicapped Packard

I have a handicapped Plackard. I had to use it every where I went once I felt comfortable leaving my house, which was close to two months postoperative. As I began to feel better, I would not use it if I was able to find a space close enough for comfort. Today I barely use it at all. The hard part about handicapped spaces for scoliosis patients is that you have to back up. I, for one, find that difficult to do, so I try to find two spaces facing each other when I go to park my car and park so that I can just drive straight out.

So I am still not completely standing straight up and sometimes I look like an old lady. My husband keeps telling me to keep the girls at attention. I try, but damn, it is difficult. Did anyone else have this problem, and if so, are you completely upright now and how long did it take you to get there?

Comment

Working...
        X