Irina’s Surgery – March 5/7, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi Irina
    i had a catheter (for Lyme) after a long line (PICC) got infected...
    just be sure to keep the entry point of the PICC covered and clean...
    it should be fine...

i was on oral antibiotics for months and months for Lyme after i was
    done with IV antibiotics...
    just a suggestion...be careful of stomach irritation that oral antibiotics
    can sometimes cause...
    i was sorry i didn't take Carafate, or something like it, while
    i was taking oral antibiotics...i finally had to quit the oral meds
    due to stomach irritation that ended up giving me problems...

i think you will recover well from the complications...
    and i wish you an uneventful recovery from the spinal surgery...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
      hi Irina
      i had a catheter (for Lyme) after a long line (PICC) got infected...
      just be sure to keep the entry point of the PICC covered and clean...
      it should be fine...

i was on oral antibiotics for months and months for Lyme after i was
      done with IV antibiotics...
      just a suggestion...be careful of stomach irritation that oral antibiotics
      can sometimes cause...
      i was sorry i didn't take Carafate, or something like it, while
      i was taking oral antibiotics...i finally had to quit the oral meds
      due to stomach irritation that ended up giving me problems...

i think you will recover well from the complications...
      and i wish you an uneventful recovery from the spinal surgery...

jess...and Sparky
      Hi Jess,

We are doing picc line only until April 2 and oral meds then. Only 5 more days of IVs so I hope picc line won't get infected. I spoke with Dr. Hu's office and they said that the treatment I am getting is perfect and the chance of hardware infection is very small (if I follow doctor's orders with antibiotics of course). That was a relief to hear. If it were not for my complications, I'd say that recovery from spinal surgery is not as bad as I expected.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

My picc line is out and I am on oral antibiotics now. It is so nice not having to deal with this picc line when having shower etc.

I am working with physical therapist to decrease my right hip pain, which started after the surgery. This is L4-L5 nerve that causes it and the pain goes all the way down to my foot, specifically my big toe. I would say that hip-foot pain bothers me more than back pain. I hope pt and gababertin help, and if not, I may want to remove the illiac screw at some point.

Comment

Glad that you are doing better.

Hope you get some relief from your hip pain
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

good to hear that the PICC line is out and now the oral meds will
            help you....i know you have more freedom without that long line in.
            hope you feel better every day....and that the PT and meds help you.

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
              good to hear that the PICC line is out and now the oral meds will
              help you....i know you have more freedom without that long line in.
              hope you feel better every day....and that the PT and meds help you.

jess...and Sparky
              Actually, PT makes my hip/leg/foot feel worse. I've had two sessions and told the physical therapist that I was hurting after the first session, well I was hurting way more after the second session today. I was plain miserable the whole day after this session in the morning. Not just ache - bad pain! People who had PT, please share your experiences - was PT helpful at all?

Comment

Irina

The nurses and PT people were coming to my house for 6 weeks to make sure I was doing something......Just walking 200 feet for me was a major endeavor.

After surgery, some areas are just so raw that just about any movement triggers pain. Its something that I would battle through on a SMALL scale....walk smaller amounts many times during the day.

These things are little tests and we have to learn to balance our therapy carefully. If its too painful, you might want to rest and back off PT for a day or two. Nerves and some soft tissues seem to heal at a non-linear rate. The pain can stay elevated for a long time, then suddenly quit just like turning off a light switch.

Try to stay strong. You are at a tough point in recovery. The 4-6 week mark was the hardest part for me.....

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Irina...

I'm guessing that Dr. Hu and Jo-An would tell you to back off, at least with your current therapist. Who are you going to, and what are they having you do?

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Hi Irina...

I'm guessing that Dr. Hu and Jo-An would tell you to back off, at least with your current therapist. Who are you going to, and what are they having you do?

--Linda
                    Focus Healthcare is coming to my house. The exercises I am doing are:

1 While laying in bed, bend the knees at 90° and squeeze the ball hard. Lower the knees and repeat, lower the the knees to almost flat position and squeeze the ball again.
                    2 Sitting - tie the knees with rubber band and push the legs apart as wide as possible
                    3 Sitting - have somebody wrap a rubber band around your leg and pull the band away from your body. At the same moment, resist and pull the leg under the chair.

She had me do many repetitions of those and then we went for a walk around the block - it's 1/3 miles walk and I walk around the block twice. My left leg is fine, but right one was killing me.
                    Last edited by Irina; 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Ouch!

Is it worth checking that this is ok, with your surgeon? At my 6 week checkup, I asked my surgeon should I be seeing a Pt. "No!" was the stern reply. I know lots of people do, so I'm unsure why he was so against it, perhaps because there was none that he trusted in my area?! He just wanted me to walk.

Personally, I'd be afraid of anything that hurt that much.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Dr. Lenke doesn't trust any physical therapist except the one who works in his office. I was anxious to get back in shape as quickly as possible, but he did not allow me to see a PT until I was a year post-op. His PT gave me some easy exercises to do at home-almost all were done while laying on my back on the bed.
                        His quote to me was that most physical therapist don't realize the magnitude of this surgery and they do more harm than good. He said the best thing that I should do was to walk.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                          Dr. Lenke doesn't trust any physical therapist except the one who works in his office. I was anxious to get back in shape as quickly as possible, but he did not allow me to see a PT until I was a year post-op. His PT gave me some easy exercises to do at home-almost all were done while laying on my back on the bed.
                          His quote to me was that most physical therapist don't realize the magnitude of this surgery and they do more harm than good. He said the best thing that I should do was to walk.
                          I totally agree with it. Even a physical therapist, who is coming to my house, said that the best thing I can do is to walk. It is true that they don't fully understand the magnitude of the surgery and all the limitations. Next time I'll ask her to do some easy general strengthening exercises, perhaps for my arms or breathing exercises would be even better. Today I took it easy - just walked outside for a total of one hour in three intervals and I feel much better.

Comment

• Irina, at one month post-op, I was lucky to make it around the block - about 1/2 mile - 1-2 times per day. Plus walking the "track" in my house. Like Karen said, we weren't allowed to do PT. I'd back off and try again in a few weeks.

Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Hi,
                              I am glad you are getting better. I was also told nothing but walking at first. I did that little by little and increased 1st the amount of times I walked and then the distance. Keep up the good work and this will get better!
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                              Osteotomy

Comment

• Originally posted by Irina View Post
                                I totally agree with it. Even a physical therapist, who is coming to my house, said that the best thing I can do is to walk. It is true that they don't fully understand the magnitude of the surgery and all the limitations. Next time I'll ask her to do some easy general strengthening exercises, perhaps for my arms or breathing exercises would be even better. Today I took it easy - just walked outside for a total of one hour in three intervals and I feel much better.

Glad to hear you're feeling much better Irina. What you did today sounds just perfect for so early out.
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X