Irina’s Surgery – March 5/7, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irina--
    I'm so sorry to hear about this. I truly hope and pray things are going to improve for you very soon. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Oh Irina, so sorry to hear of your complications. They sound dreadful. I will pray that whatever caused it is fixed effectively. Rest well. I'm praying for you.
      1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
      2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
      2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
      2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
      2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
      At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
      Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
      Post op x-ray

Comment

so sorry to hear of the complications...
        shocked that it wasn't clear what was happening on initial Xray.
        i am so sorry you are going thru this...
        i hope the antibiotics knock the infections out of you and that
        you do not need to be on them as long as they are predicting...

thoughts and prayers for your recovery...

jess

Comment

Irina

I am so sorry about these complications...

Try not to worry, the antibiotics will do their job and you will be fine.

My thoughts are with you...

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Irina,
            I am so sorry to read about your complications. I hope everything will soon be resolved soon so that you can get home and continue with your recovery.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

[QUOTE=Irina;148134]I am at a local hospital with a few complications - huge hematoma and blood / urine infection. I developed severe abdominal pain the day of discharge from UCSF. They did x-rays that only showed gas. They told me it's a bad constipation and sent me home next day. At home, my abdominal pain was getting worse to the point that I simply screamed.

We called 911and were taken to the nearest ER. The docs there did x-rays and ct-scans of my belly and found an enormous hematoma. On Tuesday I had another surgery, where they removed FOUR liters of blood from my belly. If that's not enough, I developed an infection in my blood and urine. Infectious disease doctor told me they will put me on antibiotics thru IV for several weeks and then I'd have to take antibiotics orally for months and possibly years. I am worried about hardware infection, but doctors here tell me that there is no real way of knowing if hardware was infected.

Any experience with infections? No need to say that I'm worried.[/QUOTe
              This is terrible news. Have you spoke with your surgeon who operated. Maybe he can give you more information. I am going to keep you in my prayers.
              44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

Thank you all for prayers and good wishes. I am feeling better and they transferred me from ICU to a regular room. I took my first shower today and it felt like heaven. They will probably keep me in the hospital over the weekend because I am still very weak and they monitor my heart all the time. I never had cardio problems, but after this ordeal I had high heart rate that concerned doctors.
                I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Prayers~~~

Irna, I am praying for you that the antibiotics heal you fast and you can concentrate on your spinal surgery. I am so sorry to hear you had to go through such an ordeal. We all know how hard it is to recover from these huge surgeries without any problems. Accept my prayers for your body to heal soon! Warmly, Linda
                  Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                  Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                  This started adult onset scoliosis
                  July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                  Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                  Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                  May 30th 2013 revision
                  May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                  May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Glad to hear you will be going home soon. Keep us posted on your recovery.
                    44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

Irina, i hope the wkend is uneventful and you can get some strength
                      back....and i hope you will be able to go home soon...
                      maybe with an IV catheter or long line for the antibiotics...?

feel better...
                      jess

Comment

I'd have a long term IV for home care.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                          so sorry to hear of the complications...
                          shocked that it wasn't clear what was happening on initial Xray.
                          i am so sorry you are going thru this...
                          i hope the antibiotics knock the infections out of you and that
                          you do not need to be on them as long as they are predicting...

thoughts and prayers for your recovery...

jess
                          Initial x-rays did not show anything, but ct-scans did. UCSF only did x-rays, but no abdominal ct-scans. It was a local hospital that we all here look down at, who did both abdominal x-rays and ct-scans. Local hospital also said that x-rays did not show anything and they wanted to do ct-scans. CT-scans showed hematoma and they were able to diagnose me within minutes.

I don't want to sound negative and will stop here.

Comment

i am so sorry this wasn't caught sooner...
                            amazes me what medical professionals overlook...
                            i know humans and dogs are very different....
                            but the need for more radiology shouldn't be rocket science...
                            my dog suffered for a YEAR because the vet did X rays but did not do an ultra sound, needed to be able to see that something was wrong with
                            poor puppy's prostate...apparently, X rays do not show everything that
                            other kinds of radiology show...
                            you kindly do not want to be negative...i will do it for you...
                            no one...not 2 legged or 4...should suffer needlessly because some stupid
                            medical doctor who should know better fails to be thorough in searching for
                            the cause of pain and suffering! thank goodness that little hospital did
                            what was needed...

i hope you get better steadily and rapidly and that the antibiotics do their
                            job....i was on antibiotics with an IV cath for a long time for Lyme...it took
                            many changes of medications, but i finally improved...
                            i hope things go faster for you...
                            feel better....

jess....and Sparky, the wonder puppy

Comment

I am home finally after spending 18 days in the hospitals. I have a picc line and home care nurse administered antibiotics today. My husband will be doing it from now on. He just has to connect bags and hoses, no poking involved. Last day of antibiotics thru IV is April 2. After that, per infectious decease doctor, I'd be on oral antibiotics somewhere between 6 and 12 months, depending on how my body takes it. Then I would have follow ups with three doctors - orthopedic surgeon, cardio-vascular surgeon who removed my hematoma and infectious decease doctor, who will be my friend for a long time. I am feeling better and getting stronger. If it were not for complications, I would say that my back and leg pain are not that bad.

Comment

Irina,

I'm so sorry you are going through this--but glad to hear you are home and on the mend!! What do they think caused the hematoma? Will your spine doc check the hardware for infection at some point?

Your situation is rare, but there have been a few others on this forum who have had IV antibiotics due to various kinds of post-op infections. They have all seemed to recover and heal--just takes a little longer getting started. You were in good health pre-op, so I'm sure you will be doing much better soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you!!

Evelyn
                                age 48
                                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                                X