Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing Up!

While I'm waiting for my 11a hair appointment at the hospital salon (just a shampoo and blowdry), Jeremy is wrapping some conference calls for work. I've noticed my sleeping habits are improving each night. I used to wake up x3 eachnight, but now I've been waiting up about 2a and thismorning, I woke back up at 7:45a. The extra sleept is a blessing. Afternoon naps are a bonus too. I remembered to pack one small suitcase that will hold our clothes for tonite's stay in the hotel as compared to lugging everything we brought into the hotel room.

It is so true whatnevery one has said, each day does get a smidge better than the day before. I found myself a few times this morning start walking without my walker and Jeremy was quick to say, "Slow down Skippy, don't forget your walker." I'm praying that we will skirt pass some snow near Clarksville since the weather is supposed to be clearer this afternoon when we arrive.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Home Sweet Home!

Finally made it home yesterday and am I exhausted. This wlll be a hosrt update cuz meds have me very sleepy. Biggest pain was from gas pain. Biggesst discomfort was from roommate who kept screaming for her husband throughout the night.

Dr. Lenke's nurse told me he is no longer accepting new patients for a while because he is already scheduling out to October and feels it is not fair for patients to wait that long.

Will post later.

WArmly,
      Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Glad you are home now Doreen. You'll really appreciate being there...and with such a great husband it should go well.

I loved your first posts! Those will cause you to chuckle.

Best wishes and lots of prayers for your family.
        Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
        Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
        Dr. Charles Edwards, II
        The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
        Before and after xrays:
        http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

• Welcome home, Doreen. I will be interested to hear how you managed on the long drive home. I am still trying to decide how I will get home to Florida from Dallas in April. I've pretty much ruled out driving, but I want to hear how you did.
          Stephanie, age 56
          Diagnosed age 8
          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
          Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
          Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
          Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
          Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
          Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• So glad you are home, Doreen! Now, take things slowly and have a steady great recovery. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to pull into our garage the other night. My daughter and parents' eyes were about popping out of the heads at how tall I am now. I've gain all my lost 4" in height! The other day I was ablle to take two massive power naps since I was in my own bed. Didn't sleep well last night, had very odd dreams.

I over did it a bit yesterday by going up and down the stairs too many times. It wasn't my intent to push through some stair exercises, I just needed somethings from upstairs and asked either hubby or dad to help up/down.

I still have no concept of time/days, guessing that is from the meds. On our way home we stopped in Clarksville, TN which was the halfway mark for home. TwinmomTN stopped by the hotel and was wonderful meeting her. I hope I was able to put you mind at ease a little bit and answer some of your questions. :-)

The first day driving home was horrible since I wasn't able to get the pillows adjusted in the right spot for my lumbar. The second day driving was much better. I'm so thankful for all the help and support everyone had offered.

Warmly,
              Doreen

Comment

• Doreen

Sounds like the drive was quite an event, at least on the first day.

It would be a good idea to keep notes on everything in a notebook. When you take meds, eating, sleeping, bm’s, all of it. This will help keep things in order.

Take things slow right now, no need to do any testing. That will come later.

How is the pain?
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Doreen

Sounds like the drive was quite an event, at least on the first day.

It would be a good idea to keep notes on everything in a notebook. When you take meds, eating, sleeping, bm’s, all of it. This will help keep things in order.

Take things slow right now, no need to do any testing. That will come later.

How is the pain?
                  Ed
                  Jeremy is doing an excellent job charting everything for me. The pain starts to set in right at the time I'm due for meds. So while there is some lumbar pain, it is bearable. Dr. Lenke also included T3 in the fusion as compared to T4 which was his original plan. I had some vision issues for a few days, but now everything is fine.

Off to take a nap.

Warmly,
                  Doreen

Comment

• Doreen,
                    I'm sure it's nice to be home. I can't imagine the long trip home. If I were you, I'd limit your trips upstairs for a while. I waited until I was 4-5 weeks post op before I started going upstairs on a regular basis. We all want to get our strength back as soon as possible, but our bodies tell us to take lots of naps and not overdo it. Aren't you thankful that you got your surgery scheduled (and completed) with Dr. Lenke before he quit taking new patients?
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• 4 inches back in height, WOW. That must feel rather strange for a while, I would think. I've only lost an inch and a half in height, which I don't notice except when I hug my husband and notice how short I am compared to when we were almost the same height. But four inches is a lot to change in just a few hours.

Would like to know what you are taking for pain, Doreen, and how often.

Thanks for sharing how the drive was.

You are doing FANTASTIC!
                      Stephanie, age 56
                      Diagnosed age 8
                      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• I'm not sleeping so well at night and it seems to be tied into abdomen/gas pain. I hate to be graphic here, but I did another enema this morning and have so much relief now. The last enema I did was Wed. The magnesium citrate didn't do a thing for me, but it was worth a try since so many folks here had success with it. As far as meds, I don't know what all of them are, but Jeremy is tracking them. There is valium, oxycotin, oxycodone, florecet, senna plus and something else for bowel movements. When I run out of one of the oxy meds, I'll be moved to hydrocone w/ acetaminophen which is what I took as needed for pain pre-op.

I have my little loop that I walk upstairs and yesterday I tried to limit the 13 stair trip downstairs to one time down and one time up. The before that, I was up and down 4 times which I think was way too much. I'm eating well: finished a small bowl of oatmeal, finish whatever piece of fruit, had a small scoop of mashed potatoes and tiny piece of cubed steak. My concern at this point is the inability to have a bowel movement on my own.

Dr. Lenke's nurse mailed me before/after pix and I simply cannot loko at them right now. I've had Jeremy taking photos too but told him to not show me until I'm ready to see them. Have any of you felt this way?

Tomorrow is the magic two week mark when I can take a shower and wash my hair. So excited about hta!

Warmly,
                        Doreen
                        Last edited by Doreen1; 12-11-2011, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Fantastic news

That's great that you will be able to take the shower and wash your hair. It felt so good I think I cried when I got my first shower. The pain meds will give you bad or crazy dreams. I got where the dreams were so real I was getting out of bed or talking to people in my sleep. My first clue it was time to back off and get off the pain meds. My dr told me to add as much fresh fruit and nuts I could stand and it really helped my the bowel issues. I got where I was afraid to eat because of the bowel issues and straining was making my back and hip hurt really bad. I ended up before I got off the meds using the fleet for children which reduced the cramping. But the boulders are just hard on your body. I was given my x-rays in the hospital from my dr who emailed them to me. But I couldn't look at my back until just a couple weeks ago. It's just very emotional and doesn't seem real. I gained back my 2 inches which is an odd sensation when you get close to people who have been in a different eye level for a while. You are doing really well Just think every thanksgiving and christmas will give u that extra to be thankful for as you get stronger. .

Comment

• Keep up the good work Doreen. Try prune or pear juice, or better yet, alternate them. Sip them all day, it does help.

Regarding photos. I didn't know I had any until I got home. I pounced on them, couldn't wait to see them!
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I was able to get a few hours nap this morning because my parrot decided to be quiet. He normally is quiet, but because we've been gone so long, he was super excited to see me and Jeremy. I went downstairs about 12:30p had a few pieces of turkey, 1 piece of cheese, ginger ale and water. Started to watch a movie with my dad and Jeremy, but the lumbar pain started so I'm back up for another nap. My goal is to go downstairs for dinner with the family in a few hours. Jeremy and my parents keep telling me that I'm making great progress, but I just don't feel it yet.

My anesthesiologist asked me while in the hospital if I had any memory of the procedure. I told him I clearly remember him taking the breathing tube out. I didn't feel any pain, but it was a very odd sensation.

Warmly,
                              Doreen

Comment

• hi Doreen
                                glad you are doing well...

just a suggestion...if you are still having stomach problems, you might want to stay
                                away from cheese...

hope you feel better every day...
                                jess

Comment

Working...
                                X