No announcement yet.

Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So glad you are doing so well so soon Doreen, you have an amazing husband (but you probably already know that) ) Reading the posts in which he explained everything so well almost makes me feel like I'm there with you! It helps to ease my fears as I will be exactly where you are in about 1 months time, I'm getting real nervous now, but this is giving me hope...thank you. Good to see your post, you will be home in no time...just in time for me to ask you zillions of questions! lol

Take care,
    Spring
    42 yrs old
    Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
    was told my curves would never progress
    at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
    2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
    new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
    Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
    Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
    Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
    Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

• Gimme an "A" for effort for my typing attempts )

I spent a long time typing a blot update and just my luck, the thing disappeared. Sheesh! Happy to hear I was your entertainment for the evening. LOL! The latest updates are here http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot...-my-spine.html which has before/after xrays. It is so funny to hear hubby telling me things that I said earlier in the week that I have no memory of. The only thing I specifically was the breathting tube being removed. It didn't hurst, just an odd sensation

I'm having some vision issues which are improving each day. The first day of surgery, I could see things but they appeared to be shaking/vibrating. Ophthalmologist said it should resolve iteself.

I'm still have abdomen pain despite using magnesium citrate and an enema. I am in despearat need of getting my hair cleaned. The hospital has a hair salone, so i ILl see IF i CAn get in this week. Walking a bit farther each day. Hubby is keeping me dligient with my lung execises with a spirometer.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
        I spent a long time typing a blot update and just my luck, the thing disappeared. Sheesh! Happy to hear I was your entertainment for the evening. LOL! The latest updates are here http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot...-my-spine.html which has before/after xrays. It is so funny to hear hubby telling me things that I said earlier in the week that I have no memory of. The only thing I specifically was the breathting tube being removed. It didn't hurst, just an odd sensation

I'm having some vision issues which are improving each day. The first day of surgery, I could see things but they appeared to be shaking/vibrating. Ophthalmologist said it should resolve iteself.

I'm still have abdomen pain despite using magnesium citrate and an enema. I am in despearat need of getting my hair cleaned. The hospital has a hair salone, so i ILl see IF i CAn get in this week. Walking a bit farther each day. Hubby is keeping me dligient with my lung execises with a spirometer.

Warmly,
        Doreen
        Any ideas as to when you will be able to go home? I hate feeling of dirty hair. You are very lucky to have such a caring, wonderful husband. How is your
        daughter doing?
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I'd like to go home on Wed or thu. Lizzie is having a blast having spend two with our friends who took on vacatoin to TN for Thanksgiving and now my folks have her at my house. She called this morning and asked if she can go to a sleeporver with another friend and see the play My Fair Lady. I'm very thankful she's having fun.

How is your recoverin, Melissa? Is your arm still not working?

Warmly,
          Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Doreen, it's so wonderful to read that you're doing so well! Congratulations on your fast release, keep up the positive recovery. We are all rooting for you. You have a gem of a husband; y'all see to be a wonderful team . Sending best wishes from the sunny south to you.
            Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
            Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
            Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
            Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
            photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

• Doreen,
              You sound so good! I'm sure you will be anxious to go south to warmer weather! Be sure to keep posting when you have time. I'm going to your blog to check out your pictures. I know they will be amazing. Aren't we lucky to have had Dr. Lenke as our surgeon?
              Spring,
              You will do just fine, too.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Hi Doreen

Congrats! And yes you get an “A” for typing attempts.

Ask your doctor about the Mag Citrate. I don’t know if you should be using it like sipping whiskey. I only used it when I was in big trouble.

Maybe you should do the switch to prune juice. (In the morning)
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Those x-rays are just stunning, Doreen. Has anyone ever gotten a correction like this before? And didn't you have osteoporosis issues, to boot?

Beautiful pictures, and you sound just fantastic for where you are. I will be very interested to see when you go home, as I am having surgery far from my home also. It's got to be a tough call.

Keep it up, you're doing great!
                  Stephanie, age 56
                  Diagnosed age 8
                  Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                  Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                  Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                  Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                  Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                  Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• I Must be Dreaming!

Dr. Lenke's nurse just called and I am cleared to go home tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YYIIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! We'll be packing up today and after my hair appointment at the hospital salon tomorrow morning, we'll hit the road. Will post more later.

:-)

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Comment

• What great news! Glad that everything is going so well for you
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Doreen that is great news!! So happy for you. You will be driving right
                        by me (within 30 miles); I wish there I could meet you in person but I
                        know you'll be anxious to get home. I guess the poop finally happened then
                        since they are letting you go??
                        Lol
                        Pam, age 49
                        Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                        April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                        T-3 to sacrum

Comment

• Fantastic, Doreen, I am so happy for you.
                          Stephanie, age 56
                          Diagnosed age 8
                          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                          Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                          Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                          Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                          Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                          Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• Great news! Amazing correction you got there!
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Wow Doreen

Funny, I mentioned that out spines were similar, we are both missing the exact same T7 screw on the right side. Count down the screw heads and you will see what I mean.

If you are going to get digital copies, you might want to do this now.... Its easy for them to burn a disc for you.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Ed mentioned that the Magnesium Citrate is not for sipping. By the time I took it, I was so desperate that I pretended I was in college again and chugged the whole bottle. It worked. Good luck. The abdomen pain is no fun.
                                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                                Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                                X