update on melissa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patty--
    Thanks for that post about "some kind of pain for 2-1/2 years." I'm a 1-1/2 and something somewhere-- hips, under shoulder blade (left or right), low back, leg, etc. etc. is aching to some degree. I'm amazed when folks say they forget about having their back done. That hasn't happened yet. It's like a little reminder that sits on my shoulder or something--reminding me when I walk, move, bend, lie down, etc. Usually it's not horrible but it is always there and I always feel it. I just usually keep it to myself cause I think people think after this amount of time I should be fine since I look better. Of course my tilt to the left is still there, rib hump but smaller and a red scar. Even bought expensive stuff from dermatologist and it doesn't phase it. OK enough whine for today--I'm still better & had to do it. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

wow, I'm thinking to do surgery, but realizing the surgery pain could last 2-3 years. I 'm starting to get scared.. Thanks for you all sharing the experience so I have a realistic expectation.
      62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
      45/50 year 2000
      36 yrs old
      Considering, researching surgery for the first time
      S. California
      http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

Originally posted by fashionista View Post
        wow, I'm thinking to do surgery, but realizing the surgery pain could last 2-3 years. I 'm starting to get scared.. Thanks for you all sharing the experience so I have a realistic expectation.
        Don't be scared...it's not horrible pain that lasts. Just some good days where you might have no pain, some not so good days where you over did it and something somewhere is aching. It's a process...the first few months are the worst.
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I finally started aqua therapy on Wednesday. Well, Thursday morning I woke up and felt as if a truck had hit me. I was so much worse off. Friday, I felt the same way and had another appt. I called and discussed it with the therapist and we decided to hold off until Monday. Good thing that I did, considering that I took a 5 hour nap yesterday. I have not had to do that in several months. She did say that my fibromayligia could get worse because of the therapy. Today, I feel human again.So we shall see what Monday brings.

Melissa

Comment

hi melissa
            i am so sorry you are still dealing with pain...maybe the water therapy is not right for you now...

i hope you get some relief...you so deserve it!

best regards...
            jess

Comment

Melissa, I found water therapy to be very exhausting in the beginning, so maybe if you stay with it, but slowly build up, you might find yourself feeling better over time. Good luck. Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I agree, slowly does it Melissa. Don't be talked into doing more than your instincts tell you. Just keep at it, little by little increasing the exercise. I am sure in a month, you'll be glad you persisted.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

when I first started PT (regular, not water), it felt to me that it did more harm than good! I was sore for a few days after each session. But slowly, your muscles get used to doing things again.

If you need a nap, TAKE it!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                    Melissa, I found water therapy to be very exhausting in the beginning, so maybe if you stay with it, but slowly build up, you might find yourself feeling better over time. Good luck. Sally
                    That is good to know.I am going back tomorrow for session #2 but will talk to her about going more slowly

Melissa

Comment

I went yesterday for session #2. I feel better today.. no increase in pain and not exhausted.

Comment

Great, Melissa! Did you take it slowly? Let us know how you go after #3!
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          Great, Melissa! Did you take it slowly? Let us know how you go after #3!
                          She totally went slower in session #2 than session #1. I feel so much better than I did after session #1

Comment

Melissa--
                            Glad the slower session was better. Hope this can be something to give you some relief. You are due! Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                              Melissa--
                              Glad the slower session was better. Hope this can be something to give you some relief. You are due! Janet
                              Thanks. I will post later about session #3

Comment

Working...
                              X