No announcement yet.

update on melissa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for you Melissa. Ditto what Jess said.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks everyone

I , also have a new pain med . Nucynta- Anyone hear anything about it? I was able to sleep last night for 6 hours before it wore off.

Melissa

Comment

i havent tried it, Melissa...it looks interesting...but i read it can interact with antidepressants and also with meds for sleep...??

hope it keeps on helping you!

jess

Comment

I went to see another surgeon yesterday. He agreed with my surgeon about doing my neck surgery. He said that fusing 5/6/7 should give me relief from my neck and shoulder pain. Of course , as he said there is no guarantee on that. However, he does not see anything else that could help my neck and shoulder pain. As to my overall pain, he says that my fusion is doing fine and he cannot understand my pain. He says that most of his patients by , 6 months which I will be on 11/4 are where they are going to be with their pain for the rest of their life. If that is the case, then I have made the biggest mistake of my life. The pain that I have now is so much worse that what I went into surgery with.

Melissa

Comment

He thinks you should be recovered at six months?!?? I think that's crazy. I continued to improved for three years after my surgery. At one year post-op I was nowhere near healed. At six months, I was still taking narcotics.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, and I hope your neck and shoulder issues can be resolved soon.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
              He thinks you should be recovered at six months?!?? I think that's crazy. I continued to improved for three years after my surgery. At one year post-op I was nowhere near healed. At six months, I was still taking narcotics.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, and I hope your neck and shoulder issues can be resolved soon.
              Thanks Chris. I need some encouraging words today

Melissa

Comment

Melissa,
                I agree with Singer, after my first surgery at six months I was doing terrible. It took forever to get rid of my pain. Keep your chin up...good luck with you neck surgery and maybe that will help with your overall pain level. You will get there...:-)))
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Melissa, sorry to hear you're still in so much pain and looking at another surgery in November. I do hope you'll give water exercise/therapy a chance. I know the more pain we're in the harder it is to exercise which only makes things worse. Hoping you get relief soon. I wish you all the best.
                  Debra
                  Age 45
                  Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                  Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                  Fused T4-T12
                  Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                  Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Melissa,
                    I'm sorry to hear that you are still in so much pain. I hope you can get some relief.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

yikes, Melissa! i don't like the way this guy sounds...first because of what other post-ops have said about healing for years...and also because he sounds so insensitive to your pain..like someone saying "Deal with it" !!

in my opinion, NO ONE should put up with that from ANY doctor, surgeon or otherwise!!
                      i hope you find a doctor who remembers their medical oath, and who wants to HELP you!!! after all you've been thru, you deserve it! (and so does every patient)

jess

Comment

Melissa--
                        By six months--I don't think so. I was still up and down with pain and still am to a smaller degree. I took hydrocodone for over a year. Don't be discouraged by this one. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks Kristy and Janet.That makes me feel better

Melissa

Comment

HiMelissa,

I was in some kind of pain for 2 1/2 years. and I am happy to say for the last full year I would say I have had none (maybe a little ache here and there but nothing horrible) I would not give up yet my Dr. told me a 1 to 2 year recovery.
                            Patty 51 years old
                            Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                            Posterior T3- L4
                            Pre surgery curves
                            T-53degrees
                            L-38degrees
                            and a severe side shift to the right.
                            Post surgery curves
                            Less than 10 degrees
                            Surgery April, 2006
                            C4 - C6

Comment

I went for my first aqua therapy appt today. I did not get in the pool but got evaluated. I will begin on Friday of this week. I certainly hope this helps my pain. I am considering putting my neck surgery off until January. I had wanted to do it on November 18 but if I do it that day I cannot have the surgery until 1pm and with my diabetes that is too long not to eat. I do not want to have the surgery in December so I might just wait until after the first of the year.

Melissa

Comment

good, Melissa...i hope it helps you!!

i went to a surgeon in CT who also does pain management, which is what i want him for...he is giving me sessions of aqua therapy, too...i guess when a doc orders it, insurance pays...i haven't gotten around to it yet...

i really hope this helps alleviate some of your pain!! it is supposed to be the gentlest form of exercise...

jess

Comment

Working...
                                X