No announcement yet.

Nursing care during hospital stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amanda, I didn't have anybody stay with me and it was fine. Actually, it had some benefits. I was able to sleep or watch tv if I felt like it, rather than try to make conversation when tired or in pain. If I'd had someone there, I'd have felt obliged to ease their boredom rather than sleeping, reading or watching tv.

I did have a few dud nurses and I don't think overwork was the reason they were unhelpful. It's just that every profession has its duds, I suspect. Mostly the nurses were great.

One night, overdue for meds and in pain, I buzzed for a nurse. None was forthcoming and when she finally did, half an hour later, I was upset and in bad pain. (I actually think getting upset worsens the pain, and vice versa.) When she showed, she breezed in, saying "You can always bet that just when I've made a cup of tea and some toast, someone buzzes." I was speechless. Lucky I wasn't having a heart attack - I was only in pain!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Amanda, I was alone in the hospital most of the time due to some bad snowstorms preventing my husband from getting in to see me. I insisted he not try to drive in the snow and ice because I would be too worried. I was fine even though a couple of times when the nurses were very busy, they were a little late getting my pain meds to me. They were very sweet and very careful to make sure I got the correct medication; how important is that! I slept a lot and really didn't call for the nurses unnecessarily, and when I did call them, I made a point to let them know that I realized how busy they were. I never had a bad nurse.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Nursing care: about the same all over

Currently, only very sick or newly operated patients stay overnight in the hospital. Insurance companies refuse to pay for stays over their set limits.--cuts into profits.

That being said, scoliosis surgery is very complex and painful. Before my revision 7 years ago I used another forum and members there recommended hiring one's own private duty nurse/practical nurse/ or nurse-aid. I did that and my former insurance covered it provided the doctor wrote: "may have private duty nurses". As a matter of fact, every time I need to stay overnight after surgery, and I've had many assorted surgeries not scoliosis related, I always hire someone, especially overnight. That person, even just a nurses aide, can make one more comfortable and run out to the nurses desk to ask for your pain meds.

My niece had hip surgery at Columbia-Presbyterian and stayed just 2 nights. Her roommate was an elderly lady who needed a blanket and no-one came. So she gave the lady her own blanket.
        Rehab hospitals are a different story; care is better there.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post

One night, overdue for meds and in pain, I buzzed for a nurse. None was forthcoming and when she finally did, half an hour later, I was upset and in bad pain. (I actually think getting upset worsens the pain, and vice versa.) When she showed, she breezed in, saying "You can always bet that just when I've made a cup of tea and some toast, someone buzzes." I was speechless. Lucky I wasn't having a heart attack - I was only in pain!
          One of an increasing number of posts on this forum that make me want to leap into the monitor screen and boarding a time machine, throttle someone. Mercilessly. HARD.
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

My problem with the nursing care was that they simply did not understand why I was in so much pain. One nurse said, " I do know how it feels, I had a disc fused". OK lady, I had 12! Then another nurse asked, " what pain meds did you take at home?" I answered "none, only Motrin". Then he couldn't understand why I needed so many now. I think maybe scoliosis surgery is so rare, they simply do not understand, being a nurse myself, that is all I could figure. One time my husband had to text my MD in the middle of the night so I could get pain control, and moments later it came. Lucky for me, my DR gave us his personal phone number. I did not like feeling like a drug seeker mainly and I definatly know how it feels to be on both sides of the bed. (However, I never withhold pain meds, if it's ordered, the patient wants it, they get it, end of story. No one can judge another persons pain.
            36 year young cardiac RN
            old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
            new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
            Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
            Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
            and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Karen Ocker offers valuable advice here. I always read her posts. Proper nursing is so important!

After I came out out of ICU, I was a little rough with the nurses, the male nurses, not the female nurses. Its hard for me to explain this one, but its true. I was just run over by a train, and they had me tied down as I was a hose puller, and didn’t remember too much. The pain was very intense while I was awake. It seemed that the only relief I got was when I was knocked completely out. My shoulder was also broken, and they didn’t know it, neither did I at the time.

I think that by the time I made it to the orthopedic wing, they "knew" Ed was coming. I'm sure that Dr Menmuir prepped them. I was by the nurses station.

If anyone was exited, it was me. Finally, a graveyard nurse and I had a long talk. I guess that’s all I needed, she said the right words. I realized that even though I was being "bombed", I was going to have to tough this one out. They were giving me the strongest meds they had. I feel that meds are overrated, and expected more from them. I now know this, and yes I was pretty beat up. I'm always telling people to take care now, don’t get into an accident, and don’t get hurt!

I later found out that she moved on, that she was a "hopper" and had worked at many hospitals all over the country. When I rang that nurse bell, she would come quickly. I would try 5 minutes early for a shot, and she would make me wait the 5 minutes. We eventually came to an understanding, or maybe it was just me. It was really new to me. Communication is very difficult when lightning is striking.

They rotated Morphine, Dialuid, and a very powerful Lortab through multiple Ivs and shots.

Please remember that I had serious work done. Extensive corpectomies and grafting on each level from L1-Sacrum from the front. My vascular surgeon also did exploratory looking for cancers as I've been exposed to metals and elements most of my life. Ileus, and drains and tubes everywhere. I hated my NG tube, but was necessary.

I always pay attention to posts here from nurses. Proper nursing is necessary in our recoveries, and I thank you all. It was a very scary time for me and I was also alone. I had friends who came against my wishes, who really couldn’t help all that much. I had many who came down, and I don’t remember them coming at all.

There would be nothing better than to have a scoli to talk to, or a scoli nurse.....It would have made ALL the difference for me. Having a private room and at least someone there (significant other) would have helped.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

patient care

I just wanted to jump in here and say that I had wonderful nurses and also patient care techs during my 5 day hospitalization in Indianapolis for my recent revision. My husband stayed in my room during the day but went home at night. I was sleeping so much anyway.
                Everyone was responsive to me, and my pain control was tended to in a professional manner.
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I had someone with me the whole time. My husband was waiting for me in ICU and between him, my sister in law and other family members I was never left alone. I was in so much pain I would of never been able to find the call button let alone use it.
                  Patty 51 years old
                  Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                  Posterior T3- L4
                  Pre surgery curves
                  T-53degrees
                  L-38degrees
                  and a severe side shift to the right.
                  Post surgery curves
                  Less than 10 degrees
                  Surgery April, 2006
                  C4 - C6

Comment

I agree with Karen--it's nice to have someone there in the middle of the night. Right after my surgery when I was in the ICU, there was no need to have a private nurse--there were always there. THe first night I went to my (private) room, I told my husband I didn't need a private nurse as I thought i would sleep. I was awake crying most of the night and it seemed to take forever for someone to come. After that I had a private nurse at night after my husband left. She was able to do everything the normal nurses could do, including giving me meds. When I couldn't sleep at night she'd keep me company and chat with me. She knew what I wanted before I needed it. She gave me a sponge bath every morning before my husband and the doctors arrived. She was an angel and I couldn't have done it without her.

Paying her was cash and totally out of pocket, but worth every cent. I must say though, even though I was at another NY hospital, it was half the cost as Debra mentioned for HSS.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbei,

How did you arrange for your angel-nurse? Did you just have to ask and the hospital provided her, or did you arrange it ahead of time?

My husband will not be with me during the night, so I am starting to wonder if I need someone.
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                        Debbei,

How did you arrange for your angel-nurse? Did you just have to ask and the hospital provided her, or did you arrange it ahead of time?

My husband will not be with me during the night, so I am starting to wonder if I need someone.
                        Hi,

I asked ahead of time through my Dr's office, and the hospital provided her. It was the smartest thing I could have done.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My husband stayed the first few nights, but then we decided he could come back and forth when he wanted-- it was a 2+ hour drive and he needed to get some work done too. I was fine during the night (and day) by myself, although hubby did manage to come most every day at some time. The staff took good care of me. Rush is also a teaching hospital and there were 2 "fellows" working on their spine/scoliosis fellowships who would stop by occasionally (actually, sort of often) too. I did not feel neglected. BTW, one of them was Dr. Cahill who now works (or did a couple years ago) with Dr. Betz at Shriner's in Philly. He did his fellowship at Rush under Dr. H. He was such a nice young doctor! (I have a pic with him and me in my scoli scrapbook...) See, I have such fond memories of my time in the hospital, even though the surgery was grueling.
                          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM.
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I'm trying to understand the role of the overnight support person when it comes to pain medications. The first several nights, you are not yet taking oral pain medication, right? So, is the pain medication in the form of shots, an IV or a PCA (or all three). Would the overnight support person then keep track of when the pain medication should be delivered and contact the nurse of your behalf for shot or IV? Or does the support person wake you up so that you can push the PCA pump? Or both?

Thanks!
                            Kathy
                            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

I had a pain pump 1 day, then switched to oral meds. I also had shots ordered as needed. That is what I had to beg for, they didn't want to give me the shots for some reason. I assume they though I was "drug seeking".
                              36 year young cardiac RN
                              old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                              new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                              Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                              Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                              and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I was on a pain pump for a couple of days and nights and was able to push the button, but I was so drugged up I couldn't find the button half the time. Also, I was completely helpless after my surgeries and needed help to turn over or change positions -- which I wanted to do a LOT in the beginning. Once I switched to oral meds, the night nurse made sure I got dosed every four hours so the pain didn't get ahead of me.

I checked my records by the way, and I did have a nurse's aide, not an RN. Aides cost a lot less than nurses and are really all you need.
                                Chris
                                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                                X