4 week update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naptown-

I was just wondering what the "golfer's bend" is because I have yet to do the dishwasher or washing machine or dryer. I hired help since I have a 3 and 5 year old and the help is doing my dishes and laundry. She leaves the end of August and I am trying to think about how I am going to bend so low to put clothes into the washer, then take them out and put them in the dryer. We can't bend like we used to I'm assuming??? I forgot to ask my doctor that. I am fused T3-L3. I was thinking we just have to lunge or squat. I am confused though. Just wondering how you all bend.

THanks.
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

I still pretty much logroll out of bed too. Just the way I move now I guess.

Another issue I am having, wondering if others are too, is that I keep "pulling mucsles" in my side. I had pneumonia and originally thought is was from all the coughing. That has subsided but just yesterday, I started having pain in my left side again.

My sister (she is a Physical Therapist) thinks that it has to do with the fact that I am doing more movement and the muscles are not used to it and just get stretched differntly and irritated.

Anyone else having pulled muscles or muscle spasms in the ribcage area?

Otherwise things are great. Back on my walking pace, had to lengthen my walk to get in my 45 minutes the other day.

Melissa
      T9-L5 Fusion
      Surgery March 31
      Pre op 60 Lumbar Curve
      Post op 20 Lumbar Curve

Comment

Melissa - I experienced the feeling of pulled muscles in my rib cage. My dr had me alternating heat/cold and I took Flexiril. It actually went away pretty quickly. Sorry you had to go through having peunomia while recuperating. That must have been tough.

Glenda
        Glenda
        Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
        Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
        A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
        Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Glenda:

Thanks, it sounds like we had similar fusion. I will take my Robaxin and try the heat/cold. The pnuemonia was kind of a bumber, but did take my mind of my back.

Melissa

Comment

Jen M,
            I am not sure what a golfers bend is. I am fused T2-L5 and somehow just bend @ the hips a little.
            36 year young cardiac RN
            old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
            new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
            Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
            Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
            and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

When I had spondylolisthesis surgery 1 1/2 yrs ago and couldn't bend for 3 months, I had a little stool(one of those Rubbermaid little step stools) in front of the washer and dryer (front loaders) and sat on the stool to load and unload. It worked really well. Being short, I have stools all over the house anyway.
              Age 56
              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
              Thoracic 68
              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
              Dr Bridwell St Louis
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Good idea Lisa!
                36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

I think what is meant by the "golfers' bend" is bending at the hip on one leg, with the other straight out the back. Apparently it's easier on your body than squatting.

Jen, by the end of August, you're going to be much more mobile than you are now and it may not seem like such an impossibility. If, by mid August, you are still unable to load and unload the washer and dryer, perhaps your husband or one of the kids can do it for a little while, until you are able. I know some on here used grabbers, so that's an idea as well.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by jsully View Post
                    Jen M,
                    I am not sure what a golfers bend is. I am fused T2-L5 and somehow just bend @ the hips a little.
                    Jennifer described it, but I'll try too. When a golfer is retrieving the ball from the hole, he reaches to get it by keeping one leg in a (sort of) straight plane with his back, while his other leg is standing on the ground. It is much better for one's back. It is also something they teach you in physical therapy if they are going over "dos and don'ts" for backs. If you need to get something off a shelf near the floor-- or pick something off the floor, and you're not going to squat, then you should do that. Of course, you may look a little different sometimes.
                    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM.
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by JenM View Post
                      Naptown-

I was just wondering what the "golfer's bend" is because I have yet to do the dishwasher or washing machine or dryer. I hired help since I have a 3 and 5 year old and the help is doing my dishes and laundry. She leaves the end of August and I am trying to think about how I am going to bend so low to put clothes into the washer, then take them out and put them in the dryer. We can't bend like we used to I'm assuming??? I forgot to ask my doctor that. I am fused T3-L3. I was thinking we just have to lunge or squat. I am confused though. Just wondering how you all bend.

THanks.
                      I learned this from my physical therapist a couple of years ago. It is a way of bending over while holding one leg straight behind you like a golfer does. It keeps your back "balanced" in a straight line. I have also seen Susie Bee describe it in her posts so maybe it is a Hoosier thing!
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Hoosier thing -- yes. I know/do it too!

Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Aw, c'mon.... other people must do it too! I'm sure it's in the physical therapy books! And I'm sure it's something golfers all know saves their backs from undue stress. If you keep both legs planted on the ground and bend over, you are putting a lot of strain on the vertebrae that are bending. It lessens (or negates?) that strain if you keep your back straight by raising one leg in a straight plane with your back.
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I have heard of the golfers bend too, but then again, my father is a golfer. Therapist also have a move that is similar that they refer to as the stork or flamingo (I can't remember which, but picture the bird) bend, where you keep one leg straight and and bend at the hip, raising the other leg straight out.

Melissa

Comment

Janet, I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well. It must be such a relief. You seem like you have a good plan with your medications. Have you had much help from your doctor on the best way to manage your meds. or have you been able to do this on your own (I'm thinking being a nurse is a plus)?? My doctors office just told me I would need to order any refills though my primary doc.. after the first month. I'm a little concerned I'm going to need to figure out the pain med. management on my own. I'm not one to take much medicine and will go without whenever possible (not always a good thing). It seems, though, that it really helps in recovery to take the meds. to find a good balance of pain relief to let the body heal, but feel enough pain to not do too much.
                              Debra
                              Age 45
                              Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                              Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                              Fused T4-T12
                              Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                              Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Debra,
                                I just have done this on my own. I let my body decide what it needs. I always take a pill in AM and PM. Then afternoon, if needed, like today!
                                Janet
                                36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Working...
                                X