No announcement yet.

4 week update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My doctor was the same. There was no mention of bending, lifting and twisting being a no-no. I only knew that from this forum. But I did pick things up from the floor by bending my knees rather than my back. My doctor actually didn't place any restrictions on me at all. Not sure if this is his plan or he's a bit lax. I wasn't given any handouts and the nurses didn't give me any advice either, and they deal with his spinal fusion patients all the time. I was only requested to logroll the first day. After that a lever was placed on the right side of my bed and I used that. It was easy and painless. I never logrolled again.

I was given only one instruction: walk.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
      After that a lever was placed on the right side of my bed and I used that. It was easy and painless. I never logrolled again.

I was given only one instruction: walk.
      Sounds good. I am only echoing Evelyn's (Confusedmom) question elsewhere - about this lever. I assume you and others are referring to a lever placed bedside at home. Was this carpentry-ed onto the wall somehow or was it an optional part of a professional bed of some sort? Having a little trouble picturing it, though it really sounds handy. I could even use one now (pre-operative)!

About the no BLT - I'm remembering another patient here who only learned to avoid NSAID's from this site rather than from his doctor's office. Another case of missed communication and more proof of how invaluable this site IS! "Better safe than sorry", etc.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I was told to walk and swim.
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Jennifer

My doctor sounds like yours. At my 3 month he basically said that I can do whatever my body tells me I can do. I will feel pain before I can injure my fusion, with the exception of "jarring" type activiities (horseback riding, etc.) and twisting. He did still say that walking was the most important thing that I can do and I try my best to walk 45 minutes a day. Starting arm and leg strengthening, getting my flexabilitly back.

Any activity I ask about, his standard answer is, "let your body be your guide". It is almost irritating when you want some guidance. But I guess my own fear is the only thing that holds me back from my progression. But, better safe than sorry is what I say. I do plan on starting to try to do more. I need to get my sense of balance back too.

Melissa
          Surgery March 31, 2010
          T9-L5

Comment

Amanda - I only had this lever in hospital. I was told Dr. Askin doesn't let his patients use the overhead trapeze gadget to lift up. I was in hospital 19 days so by the time I came home, I didn't need help to get in and out of bed.

Melissa - At my 6 week checkup I told him I was walking every day. His reply was, "Now, do it twice a day." At 12 months he discharged me as a patient simply saying that to preserve the unfused upper portion of my spine, he wouldn't recommend running or jarring activities. But to continue walking.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              I was only requested to logroll the first day. After that a lever was placed on the right side of my bed and I used that. It was easy and painless. I never logrolled again.
              Some people seem to be "log-rolling" for a long time. It it unusual to only have to do it for a few weeks (if there's no lever/trapeze)? I thought it was to become virtually a way of life!

I'm not sure just what it is, but I'm sure when the time comes it will be made abundantly clear. Meanwhile, I'm trying to make sure my upper body (arms) are strong as everyone seems to agree that helps. Heh, I'm even doing my first ever real push-ups - though not quite the Marine nose-touching kind! Seems to be contraindicated for recovery from my Jan. hand surgery but crum, you can't do everything just so.
              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I put a child's rail on my bed to help me get up and roll side to side. Very helpful!
                Janet
                36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Janet - you and I have the same doctor and he never mentioned about not bending either etc., and I'm fused to the sacrum. I was also at four weeks loading and unloading the dishwasher, changing the bed sheets etc., but I wasn't bending as such as I can't really bend, I would do kind of a lunge squat. You're doing good with putting away the raised toilet seat, I only just put mine away.
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                  Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                  Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                  Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Thanks Lynette,
                    Started to worry I was doing something very wrong. I feel OK doing it though so, why not?
                    Janet
                    36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
                      Some people seem to be "log-rolling" for a long time. It it unusual to only have to do it for a few weeks (if there's no lever/trapeze)? I thought it was to become virtually a way of life!

I'm not sure just what it is, but I'm sure when the time comes it will be made abundantly clear. Meanwhile, I'm trying to make sure my upper body (arms) are strong as everyone seems to agree that helps. Heh, I'm even doing my first ever real push-ups - though not quite the Marine nose-touching kind! Seems to be contraindicated for recovery from my Jan. hand surgery but crum, you can't do everything just so.
                      I still logroll when I get out of bed as it put less stress on my lower back and I am conscious of putting less twisting action on my back. As far as the "bending" conversation, I CAN bend even though I am fused to the sacrum but was given BLT restrictions while recovering. I have to use the "golfer's bend" in order to load the DW and the washing machine. The dryer still gives me problems and I typically have to get down on my knees and pull the clothes out onto the door and go from there. Awww...baby steps!
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

After reading these I tried last night to get into bed w/o logrolling. I don't remember how! Granted my logrolling is modified but I don't remember how I used to get in bed. I usually do the dryer on my knees too. That's the hardest. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I swear by my child bed rail!
                          36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

I'm still log rolling at 8 weeks. If I don't, I get a catch in my lower back that hurts like crazy.
                            Glenda
                            Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                            Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                            Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                            A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                            Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                            Pleased with outcome

Comment

At your age, your surgeon may have observed that folks just need pain as a self-imposed restriction as is the case with 95% of kids who need no physical restrictions and still get a good fusion. The kids at least feel normal very early out and mine tended to ignore the restrictions as a result. Who knows.
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

It is definitely a self-imposed restriction that gets my attention! I am so thankful I didn't wait any longer to have the surgery. I don't believe my body could have taken it at a much later age. Looking forward to my 8-week follow-up visit with my surgeon today to make sure I haven't pulled anything out of socket.
                                Glenda
                                Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                                Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                                Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                                A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                                Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                                Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                                X