Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last night into this morning - worst experience of my life!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JenM View Post
    Can someone explain what a paralytic illeus is?

Thanks,
    jenm
    Here are two good basic links and there are tons more online.

Basically, it's loss of intestinal motility for functional rather than anatomic reasons.

Hope tonight is better and you can stay off the pot. Sounds ghastly!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ileus
    http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=7886
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Originally posted by JenM View Post
      I very as my 5 year old seems scared to death of me. When I first got home From the hospital he used to give me hugs and kisses. Now the past 2 nights it seems like he's scared. Anyway, the gas
      backup was so bad tonight I thought I was going to die. All I could think about was being so sad and scared to die at 31. I wanted to wake my kids up at 1am and tell them I love them "just in case" if I were to die.
      Jen,

This story about your child seeming scared and you wanting to wake them up "just in case" made me tear up. I am so sorry you are going through this. I do think it's a good idea to call your primary care doctor and your surgeon and get them to adjust your meds to regulate you.

Other home remedies: Activia, Raisin Bran, caffeine. Can people who've had the surgery chime in as to whether any of these might help? Also, drink lots of Gatorade, etc., as repeat "explosions" can really dehydrate you. Sending good thoughts your way!

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

This is one of the reasons that I was very glad that my surgeon sent me to rehab. When I got home after being in rehab for 10 days, I was human again. All of the problems were behind me and I felt really good .

Melissa

Comment

Mag Citrate and Prune Juice work wonders
          36 year young cardiac RN
          old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
          new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
          Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
          Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
          and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Thank you so much Confusedmom, Jsully, and everyone else who ressponded. I am doing alot better this morning in terms of constipation. Just the back pain is really getting the me.

Confused mom- I am really sad about the situation with my kids. They just always run over to my husband now and ignore me. Yesterday my 5 year old asked why am I always in the bathroom!!! I lived in the bathroom literally for 2 full days, and my butt is soooo sore I never want to go again! Thanks for all your support. I've been following your posts too and I'm glad you scheduled your surgery for September. Take care and best of luck to you. This whole situation is really hard when you have young kids. Right now I'm at the stage where I'm thinking "why the heck would I do this with 2 young kids? I must be crazy!!"

JenM
            Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
            Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
            Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
            Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
            31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

hi Jen
              i am so sorry to hear that you are suffering...
              do you still have the chills?
              am wondering whether you could call the surgeon's office...even to talk to the nurse...and ask about what is going on with you...did you take your temp when you had chills to make sure you dont have any infection going on...?

PLEASE...remember there is a week end coming up...the worst time to try and reach any doctor! especially in the summer!!!
              so please....if you think it's a good idea to call him...do it now!!

hope you feel better soon...
              and i know you cant help worry about your children...but they'll come back around...things may just seem a little different to them now, so they go to the person who is acting in a more familiar way...but dont beat yourself up! when you are healed, you will be able to do so many more things with your kids!!

jess

Comment

Thanks so much for the concern Jess. I actually think it's a reaction from taking all the narcotics. Before the surgery, I barely ever have taken any medicine besides an advil maybe like twice a month. I was on oxycontin once last summer and it did the same thing to my body temperature. i have a nurse who comes to my house every day and she says I have no temperature and she thinks it's the meds. I will call the surgeon's nurse today just to ask.

JenM
                Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

i didnt realize that you are so very unfamiliar with taking medication!
                  it must make all of this even harder on you...

i really hope whatever is causing this suffering is gone quickly! and i'm glad you are calling the nurse... at least she will be aware of what is going on...

feel better soon...

jess

Comment

JenM - I was exactly the same as you. I had horrible fluctuations of boiling hot to freezing cold while on the meds, and like you I had never been on meds of any kind before, I hate taking pills of any kind. Also my kids are 7 and 9 so I know how you feel about having this surgery with young ones, however, they are very resilient, and before you know it, you will be coming off the meds, you will be feeling a hundred times better, and then you'll be so happy you had the surgery because then you'll be able to do a lot more things with your kids without hurting. I know it doesn't feel like it now, but it will feel better, I promise you. Hugs to you Jen.
                    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Also Jen, try not to worry about your kids running to your husband instead of you....kids are very resilient and forgiving and as soon as you're feeling better, they'll be all over you again. Consider yourself fortunate (as I was) to have a husband who is there for your kids and let them bond while you heal. This too shall pass!
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chris - I totally concur with everything you said
                        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Good advice re your little ones. My little grandaughters were very nervous about hugging me, obviously their mother told them to be gentle. I think they were a little scared of me too, for a while, because I seemed so different, I suppose. But it didn't last long.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Also, your little ones are so little they probably won't even remember this when they are older. The 5-year-old might have vague memories, but the 3-year-old probably won't. "Mommy" will be in vogue again soon!!!

Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Just resurrecting this thread. . .since I seem to be heading in this direction.

I did a pre-emptive Mag Citrate the evening before my Nov 2 surgery, so I went into the OR in "good shape". Here it is, Nov 10, and nothing.

I've been taking Colace and Dulcolax since the surgery, and thrown in some Ex-Lax here and there. . .nothing. So, last night I downed a bottle of Mag Citrate. Still nothing.

I'm not in (abdominal) pain - yet - but I am quite bloated (at least 7 lbs heavier than pre-surg. I am eating a little, but not that much. Since some of my bloating is in my ankles, I'm guessing that a certain amount of it is water.)

Wondering what my next plan of attack should be.
                              Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                              Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                              Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

I hate to say it, but the only thing that unblocked me in rehab 10 days after surgery was a suppository. Not pretty!!!!

I would definitely call your doctor at this point, mainly because no response after a bottle of Mag Citrate warrants being checked out.
                                Chris
                                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                                X