No announcement yet.

Almost six week post op update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for all your advice, that has helped me a lot. What about the electric shock stinging sensation? Anyone had that?
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Yes, I think I also had those, only a few, I'd actually forgotten them. They weren't painful exactly, more like an itchy sting. Hard to describe. I haven't had one for maybe 6-8 months. At the time I thought it was a nerve growing.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
        I have another question - since I've cut back on my meds, I've noticed I seem a lot stiffer in my back, and can actually feel soreness along my incision for the first time since surgery. Is this normal and ok? Also has anyone ever experienced electric shock like stingy feelings that come and go really quickly in your back? I got it about an hour ago and it scared me, it made me literally jump, it was quick but very stingy like an electric shock. If anyone else has experienced this please tell me if this is normal also?
        I get those in my legs and I haven't had surgery. I haven't had any in my left leg since my epidural shot. I still get them in my second toe on my right foot. My doctor said it was related to a nerve pathway. I'm assuming a pinched nerve. So, with this said, your symptoms are probably just coming off the pain meds and you are starting to feel what was done. My guess is that the nerves in that area that were cut (like the ones going to muscles and especially skin) are coming back to life. Just a guess though. I hope it resolves itself soon! Hang in there!
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
          Thanks everyone for all your advice, that has helped me a lot. What about the electric shock stinging sensation? Anyone had that?
          I'm at a year and a half now. Occasionally I'll get that sensation, but not often. I'd say that by time one year came around, it was hardly there. For me, after the (what I used to call bee stinging sensation) got a lot better, I had a period of TERRIBLE itchyness in the same location, so bad that I would have liked to rip the skin off scratching. The terrible itching is now gone too.

From what I understand, that was all nerves healing. It's enough to drive you bonkers.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Lynette
            I'm happy to hear that your leg pain seems to be letting up a little. It is so important to keep walking and moving.

I concur with what others have said about your hot/cold/sweats etc being related to pain med withdrawals. Firstly, I think 6 weeks is pretty soon to be cutting them off but, if you feel that you need to... I was taking morphine (slow acting) and dilaudid (quick acting) and was told to reduce first the dilaudid, then the morphine. I began by spacing the dilaudids farther apart. Then after several days of that I cut them in half, then half again until I was off completely. Then I started with the morphine and did the same thing. It took me about 5 -6 weeks to get off the pain meds completely. Even at that slow rate I still had some issues (insomnia, but only for about 5 nights, and restless legs - that was bizarre) but I had taken them for a longer period after surgery than you.

The stiffness - perfectly normal. You're only 6 weeks out and if you're cutting back on pain meds, you're going to be more sore in your back and your incision site too. It takes quite awhile for your back muscles to relax and get used to their new homes. And depending on what was done during your surgery, your bones are still going to be sore too. It does go away - for now maybe you could try some warm baths and gentle stretching and range of motion stuff. (remember though, no bending and twisting)

The electrical shocks I also referred to as bee stings. I liked when it happened because I knew some of my nerves were healing back there. I can handle bee stings. It was the sometimes Bumble Bee stings that were not pleasant. I decided those must have been big nerves or deep nerves healing. Fortunately, it never lasted long. I'm a year and two months out from the first surgery and I don't get the stings very often - mostly when I've been really active it happens more.

I started getting itchy feeling skin around 2 months post-op and it was a weird feeling - when I went to scratch I couldn't feel my skin - like the itching was way under my skin. My husband would carefully scratch the places I couldn't reach or put lotion on and that helped a little. Mostly I just tried to ignore when it was bad and the feeling would go away by itself. I honestly could have clawed my skin off and I wouldn't have felt a thing. That itchy feeling really hasn't gone away since then - I just try to ignore it.

Overall I think you're on track and that you really need to be patient with yourself! Take naps when you can - eat good food, take your walks, play with the kids
            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
            Achieved +70% Correction
            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
            New Spine 03/19/2009
            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

I had "electric shocks" that ran right up my 20-inch anterior scar that made me yell and jump. I started getting them at around 3 months post-op and they would happen when I tried to lie down, which of course at 3 months I was lying down a lot, so they were extremely upsetting. I started taking 5 mg. of Valium at nighttime for them and that helped a lot, although looking back, I believe the Valium contributed to a bit of post-op depression.

Anyway, the shocks were simply nerves waking up...but it was a crazy sensation. They finally stopped around 5 months post-op.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

That's exactly what I'm having - how you all described those bee stings, it really is unnerving, and scary when it suddenly happens. Literally makes me jump with fright, and hurts - OUCH!!!

Boy this is one heck of a journey right now, about to take the boys out for the day with some family to a swimming resort, and I feel pukey and hot and cold, just would love to spend the day in bed, as I really feel fluey type symptoms, but nothing I can do but try to get through this day somehow.

Talk to you all later,

Lynette.
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Hi, I have been following up and am glad to see we are all doing so well. I did start to drive also last week. I have been on vicodine for the last several weeks. They had to take me off oxy in the first few weeks as I reacted too bad on it. I was falling asleep mid sentence. I was on valium with my vicodin, but quit that too because I did no like the way it made me feel. I take the vicadin about every 4-6 hours depending on my level of activity.

This is where I am curious to compare. We all seem to be in about the same place med wise, where are you on an activity level? Lynette, I know you are having to do so much with your boys, you are a great mom taking them on that pool outing and all.

I am doing great around the house, light house work, laundry with others carrying it, working at the computer, and helping clean up after dinner, etc. Anything I can do around the house so that I can rest my back for 10-15 minutes when it starts to ache is great. But when I go on a 4-5 hour outing my back gets so achey. Trying to start to do some errands or meetings and get to running my household. Also, still get pretty tired from the excursion too.

I am just curious as to how much everyone else is getting out and about. What I should expect to be able to do?

It is so good to have all this support.

Melissa
                  46 Yrs old
                  Surgery March31
                  T9-L5

Comment

Hi Melissa,

It's hard for us to compare, because everyone is so different, and also - in my situation being a single mom of two boys, I have had no choice but to get on and do a lot of stuff. I basically get up at 5:30am every school morning, get the kids breakfast, put their clothes out, drive them to school. While they're at school I'll do laundry, or grocery shopping, or change their bed sheets, and usually I try to get a little nap in before I go to pick them up from school. I have been driving (even though I'm on a few meds still), places fairly close to home for the last three weeks. My walking is terrible because of my leg, I'm still limping, and even though the pain has subsided a little in my leg, walking is still a little difficult for me. I walk in the pool which feels good, and I do some hand weight exercises, and some exercises that PT gave me to do while I lay on my back to help strengthen my abs, and legs etc. I do homework with the kids, go outside with them when they want to play outside. So I'm doing quite a lot, but maybe others are doing the same as me at this stage, however, I know if I didn't have my little sweet boys, I would be resting a lot more than I am.

I am down to four Percocets a day now, and in eight days I will be completely off the narcotics. I can't wait, however, I'm suffering pretty bad withdrawal symptoms, the hot and cold sweats are horrible, the pain in my back is getting a little bit more noticeable, but then I get used to it, and then I drop back another pill. Each two days I've been reducing a pill and so far it seems to be working.

It's great to hear from you Melissa, sounds like you're doing a lot and doing very well which is fabulous . I know Laura suffered like me with the Percocets, and I agree with what Laura said, we learn so much about our surgeries, but were totally unprepared for this horrible weaning off of these narcotics - YEUCH!!! To me, this has been the worst part of the journey. Maybe that's because I avoid pills for the most part in my life, even when I've had headaches in the past, I usually hold off on taking any kind of pill unless I absolutely need it, so I'm anti pills. However, I'm grateful that I had them to start with so that I didn't feel the pain I would have felt otherwise!
                    Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Lynette,

I gotta say what everyone has said already and if not said, thought.

You are AMAZING!

And weaning off the opiates too? At this stage?? I'm stupified!

I DO know what motivators children are, though. They turn ordinary mortals into extensions of the Almighty. As the saying goes, "God couldn't be everywhere, so he invented mothers."

Some may object to the notion of a deity (and personally I don't like the male pronoun! ) but few could argue with the fact that we humans are raised above our normal capacity by inspiration and by love!

Like you.

Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Lynette, I'm so glad you are turning the corner with your leg and are feeling the recovery moving along. My thoughts are with you and your sons. May each day feel a little better. Joy

Comment

As others have said, it's great to hear your leg is improving. I am gobsmacked at the work you're doing, and the responsibility you've taken back, for your little boys. And dealing with withdrawals at the same time. You deserve a medal. I couldn't have done it.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Wow - you all have made me feel fantastic! Thank you so much for that. You know, our kids take us for granted so much, so hearing from you guys that I'm doing so well, just made my day!!

My eldest son was cute yesterday. I had told both the boys that when they fight (which luckily is not often), it makes me sad and then my back hurts more, and when they are happy and play nice and show mommy love with hugs and kisses, I feel fantastic. So my eldest son comes up to me yesterday and says: "Mommy, I want your back to feel all better, can I give you some hugs?" Of course I responded with: "I love you son, now I feel a million times better." God bless our children
                            Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Lynette

I know it is hard to compare, you are remarkable in what you are having to accomplish! I admire you so for all that you are doing. You have two very lucky litttle boys!

Reading what everyone is going through with the withdrawls, I am so glad that I was not on the oxy and perc and went straight to the vicadin. I have been having nausia from that, but that sounds like nothing compared to having the withdrawl from the heavy stuff.

I wanted to put my inquiry out as a new thread, but could not figure out how to start one. I am somewhat techno challenged. I was just trying to get an idea of where the average patient is at this point.
                              Melissa

Comment

Lynnette,

As everyone has said, You ARE amazing. I'm sure you are often dragging yourself around on sheer will, so I am praying that you be careful.

I was really worried when you had such terrible leg pain- I think lots of us were. So glad to hear you are inching your way back from that. Scary stuff.

When I read of your activities, my mind was saying, OK, Ok, Ok, maybe...and then when I got to "change their bed sheets" my mind screamed,"NOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!" I'm thinking this is one of those favorable moments to realize that A. No person has ever died from seasoned bed sheets. Or B. An excellent opportunity for a young boy to get in there and learn a new skill!

Remember to make friends with dust bunnies during this time.

All told, so proud and impressed here....
                                Hugs and hugs, carefully of course
                                Amy
                                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                                Exercising to correct

Comment

Working...
                                X